Rest Days??

maryd523
maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
edited September 30 in Fitness and Exercise
I just looked through my exercise journal and I haven't taken a rest day since July 11. I do high-intensity cardio most days and also do Bodypump a couple times per week. On my last "rest" day, I ended up walking fast for an hour and burned over 500 calores. AND was sore the next day (from walking!).

I know rest days are important between strength-training sessions, but how necessary are they from cardio? Does a long, fast walk count as "rest"?

I hate not exercising because I'm on 1200 calories per day and find it really difficult to stay under without the extra that exercise gives me. Yes, I exercise to get healthy. (But also so I won't go over my calories and can eat more.)

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    If I cardio to the point of soreness the next day I rest. But normally no. But-if your system is still working for you-yay! That is an ethic I can't keep up myself!
  • mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    if you take a rest day just eat normally(over 1200) you should be fine especially if you are losing weight steadily and not eating all of your calories back all the time.

I know what you mean though it is hard for me to not exercise during any free time that I have.
  • Sooznine
    Sooznine Posts: 29 Member
    I have only had 5 true rest days since April 18. I mix up the cardio, tho... Running, biking, Strength/cardio intervals, walking. I just don't feel right if i don't do *something* every day... and it sure helps staying under the calorie goal.
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    I used to do that. I would do tae-bo every night followed by a little strength-training. It finally caught up with me and my injury drastically decreased the amount of exercise I was able to perform. Do what you can to stay injury free. Yoga is great.
  • I workout 3 days then take a day off. My goal is cardio twice a week, strength training the other days.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    I have only had 5 true rest days since April 18. I mix up the cardio, tho... Running, biking, Strength/cardio intervals, walking. I just don't feel right if i don't do *something* every day... and it sure helps staying under the calorie goal.

I agree....I mix up my cardio so I don't get bored and also so my body doesn't get complacent.
  • ewegner
    ewegner Posts: 48 Member
    I was wondering the same thing last week. I did take 3 days off, but still made sure I walked at a moderate pace for 45 min a day and claned like a crazy lady, so is that considered rest? I couldnt just not do anything cause my mindset is so stuck in this routine (that and I too was down to 1200 calories a day). However, right before my 'rest' from interval training, I went to a health fair and talked to a fitness coach. She looked @ my workout routine and asked which day I rested. She said you should always allow you body at least 1 day of rst per week so that your muscles can get a break and that this actually decreases the risk of injury to yourself. She said regardless of cardio or strength training, you mentally and physically should give your body a day. After that weekend, coincidentally I felt exhausted..and decided to try and take a 'rest' for a few days...i think it helped. I dropped 1.5lbs just by my cleaning and walking and I upped my calories. I guess, like someone mentioned before, if it's working for you, go with it..but always listen to your body. I feel like sometimes we get too wrapped up in this weight-loss and just keep going until we run out of steam..thinking, 'but I have to'. You seem to be in great shape with all of the different cardio you do and you're enjoying it, so keep it up and just take a day if you have to every now and then.
  • I say your body does need some rest, to recouperate damamge done to muscles & joints, but that doesnt mean that your rest day you sit on your butt, do stuff, just take it more leisurely than a work out day. even days that i dont work out Im still busy, unless im sick. But I know like this week monday was an off day for me because I worked out hard & this weekened we did a lot of work on our property... try cutting up tress & moving them for exercise! cardio & weights all in one. Monday morning I was a hurting puppy, & today I was a light day. your body will tell you what it needs :-)
This discussion has been closed.