Need a new routine

Options
So I am looking for input on redesigning my work-out plan. My main objective is to improve my running speed. Presently I run 4 days a week, and I do about 60-90 minute arm routine once a week, and a 60-90 minute core and leg routine once a week. I want to do more frequent, shorter sessions and add a running session.
I was thinking something along the lines of a short upper body work out 2-3 times a week, lower body work out 2-3 times a week and core work 2 times a week. Does that sound like too much? What are really good exercises to have for arms, legs or core, that I should incorporate? Hips and glutes need to be a big focus as I have had problems with weakness there before and need to keep them strong as I run longer and faster.

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    To improve your running speed you may need to increase distance. Have you tried StrongLifts? That's a good program that has been helping me a lot.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    i would go for a full body programme 2 x a week, and add in some cross training instead of another running day. swimming or cycling are good.

what is your weekly mileage? what do you do on each of your 4 runs? what distance do you want to improve your speed over?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    For your consideration:
    http://www.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/16_oct2324.pdf
    Strength Training for the Runner
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Okohme wrote: »
    My main objective is to improve my running speed.

Over what distance? And what is your current pace, and goal pace, for that distance?

What do your four run sessions look like at the moment?
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    To improve your running speed you may need to increase distance. Have you tried StrongLifts? That's a good program that has been helping me a lot.

I have not but I will.

i would go for a full body programme 2 x a week, and add in some cross training instead of another running day. swimming or cycling are good.

what is your weekly mileage? what do you do on each of your 4 runs? what distance do you want to improve your speed over?

My mileage was around 25 at max. I was doing 2 runs at 4 miles, 1 run at 5, and a long run that was 10-12 miles. I recently completed my first half marathon so I'm dialing it back for a couple weeks, but am looking to amp it back up. Was doing arm day and leg day, Monday and Thursday respectively. I'd like to meet my 10k goal, but I think I would like to stay at the half-marathon distance and improve that.

My main objective is to improve my running speed.

Over what distance? And what is your current pace, and goal pace, for that distance?

What do your four run sessions look like at the moment?

I think the half marathon is gonna be my race of choice. I wouldn't mind improving my 5k too but I feel like that will happen if I just work on my half marathon pace. I was doing 2 runs at 4 miles, 1 run at 5, and a long run that was 10-12 miles. My long run has only been 9 miles the last few weeks following a couple races.

pondee629 wrote: »
    For your consideration:
    http://www.furman.edu/sites/first/Documents/16_oct2324.pdf
    Strength Training for the Runner
    Thanks! I'll have a look!

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I think the half marathon is gonna be my race of choice. I wouldn't mind improving my 5k too but I feel like that will happen if I just work on my half marathon pace. I was doing 2 runs at 4 miles, 1 run at 5, and a long run that was 10-12 miles. My long run has only been 9 miles the last few weeks following a couple races.

The Half is a nice distance to train for, I've only done one this year as my focus has been longer, distances but I've got one in about four weeks.

What I'd suggest is getting hold of a structured HM improvement plan, then working your other objectives around that. The advantage of that is that you'll get an appropriate balance of workouts and mileage. At the moment your mileage is quite unbalanced with your long being a disproportionate part of your volume.

For an HM improvement plan I'd be designing something building up to a 16 mile long, with one speed session per week, something from 6-8 miles in total and alternating sprint intervals with a tempo/ threshold run. Three easy paced, maybe only 5K the day after the long, and then two 10Ks, probably with a rest day after the speed session.

Personally I'd go for two full body sessions rather than splitting upper and lower, or I'd go for more regular, shorter sessions. I do four forty minutes resistance sessions per week.
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Options

The Half is a nice distance to train for, I've only done one this year as my focus has been longer, distances but I've got one in about four weeks.

What I'd suggest is getting hold of a structured HM improvement plan, then working your other objectives around that. The advantage of that is that you'll get an appropriate balance of workouts and mileage. At the moment your mileage is quite unbalanced with your long being a disproportionate part of your volume.

For an HM improvement plan I'd be designing something building up to a 16 mile long, with one speed session per week, something from 6-8 miles in total and alternating sprint intervals with a tempo/ threshold run. Three easy paced, maybe only 5K the day after the long, and then two 10Ks, probably with a rest day after the speed session.

Personally I'd go for two full body sessions rather than splitting upper and lower, or I'd go for more regular, shorter sessions. I do four forty minutes resistance sessions per week.

I did my first(so far only) HM in September and really enjoyed it. My next goal is to do a 10k in an hour but I don't want to drop my distance that much just yet. I think I will take your advice and go for a Hal Higdon improvement plan along with two days full body.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    You will get most improvement by increasing your base mileage. 25 mpw is quite low for a HM. Getting your average up to 35 mpw will make a big difference. Getting it higher will help even more. My best HM was done in the middle of marathon training, without a taper or speedwork. Find a good training plan that includes tempo runs and some miles at HM pace.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

I did my first(so far only) HM in September and really enjoyed it. My next goal is to do a 10k in an hour but I don't want to drop my distance that much just yet. I think I will take your advice and go for a Hal Higdon improvement plan along with two days full body.

A 10K improvement plan needn't be that much different to what I'd described anyway. The long would be a bit shorter, aiming for 10mi to 12 mi and rebalancing that mileage onto the recovery run, pushing that up to 10K and perhaps adding a second day of speedwork up to 10K, probably using that for cruise intervals to support the other session.

As above your current mileage is about the minimum I'd aim for to enter a HM plan, peaking at about 40mi pw. Training for HM will almost certainly improve your 5 and 10K times.