Biceps tendon injury

Options
I hurt (tendinitis I think) my biceps tendon where it attaches to the forearm mid summer

It hurts when I suppliants my palm/arm and when I lift overhead

I think I aggravated it lifting ...pull-ups and overhead stuff really irritate it

I haven’t lifted since the beginning of August and I’m still having issues

Anyone else have this injury and have any knowledge of the healing process and length?

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Here you go. I still have occasional flare ups, but not nearly as bad after continued therapy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2QQaVfeI4U
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Since August?

Have you contacted a doc for an MRI scan yet? If not, you should. After 3 months, it's most likely a tear that requires repair. An MRI will tell you for sure.

FWIW, sbout 5 yrs ago, I tore my left subscapsularis tendon doing curls. 1st MRI was inconclusive. Doc thought it was the bicep tendon (which attaches near the subscap at the shoulder). Got cortisone shots for that at a location no where near the subscap. A yr later the pain still persisted. 2nd MRI was done w/a contrast dye that revealed the small subscap tear. Surgery followed. Total recovery took a year more.

Have also experienced elbow tendonitis twice in past yr from doing a rigourous pullup, pushup and dip routine It affected both elbows the 1st time and the pain & soreness went away after a month of rest. 2nd time, it only affected rt elbow which is almost fully recovered after 6 wks.

Have had other "strains" that also resolved themselves w/rest after a month.

Point is, no recovery after 3 months of rest is too long and a professional assessment is required.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I had it pretty bad once on a bicep. Not sure if it came from deadlifts or something else like doing a silly program like Wendler's that is known to agrivated as such. I also have a autoimmune disease that attacks my joints and tendons so I have tendonitis more than not.

It took about 4-5 months for it to go away for a spell and it came back to a lesser degree and no problem for a couple years.

One thing that will help with pain if you are still lifting is to wear a neoprene elbow sleeve. It will keep the area warm and so will reduces pain.

Another thing is using lift straps for your pulls or even better using a lifting straps coupled with a "pistol grip" when doing pulls. It literally takes most of the bicep out of the equation, but still allows you to work back, rear delts, etc...

The problem with tendons is they are very course compared to muscles so blood flow is restricted which in turn means healing takes much longer.

Not knowing your program, chances are you will have to reduce the volume and/or intensity. If you can do very light intensity, it will help with blood flow. Also might have to work around the injury if it's too painful.

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Most important thing you can do is see an orthopedic surgeon. This is something you don't want to mess around with. Every injury is different and only he can determine your issues and the healing time.
    Also please do not ask people for advice on this website as far as in injury. Even though they may be trying to be helpful they have no idea what they're talking about and the information they can give you can cause some serious damage