How do you carry water during your runs?

Options
2»

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,693 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water in my daily life, and that includes my runs. I am generally well hydrated, but I get thirsty. Any run over an hour, I carry water. In the summer, when it's hot and humid, I'll carry water for anything over 45 minutes. I learned as a hiker that unexpected things can happen (falls and strains or missed turns), so it's better to be prepared than to get caught out without. I also mostly run where there are few options to get water (farm country.) I use a fanny pack and carry either a small soda bottle (16-20 oz) or a 1 liter Gatorade bottle. On long runs (over 15 miles) I'll plan a route so I can pass my car to get a second bottle of water if I need it. I've been running for 6 years and still drink as much as I did as a beginner. I sweat a lot. I've had to deal with dehydration (headache, dizziness, nausea) and prefer to avoid it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of fluid all day, including during runs. My typical day generally includes 30 oz. coffee +8 oz. water to start. Then I fill up my 20 oz. re-usable cup 4-6 times during the day + drink 1-2 bottles (16-20 oz.) of diet soda. In the evening, I drink another 40-60 oz. of some form of liquid when not running.

For those who say diet soda or coffee dehydrates: our body does use the water in that; and it doesn't cause more loss of hydration than gain.

Despite drinking a lot during other times of the day, I still drink a lot of water when running. It varies based on temperature, but average is a 20 oz. handheld bottle every 2-5 miles. On short runs, I will keep my keys and glucose tablets (and anything else I need) in a pocket on the side of my water bottle, so it is coming with me anyway. For long runs (except if I know there are places along the route to refill), I carry a backpack with a 3L hydration reservoir. On hot days, I've gone through the entire 3L in less than 15 miles.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Short runs I wouldn't bother with water. For my long runs I use a small Camelbak. It holds 2 liters, but I usually just fill it to 1 liter because I don't need a lot and I don't want to haul what I don't need.

At first I thought I wouldn't like wearing a pack while I ran. After about 20 minutes of getting used to it that first time, it now feels right at home. And I have a place to stow my keys. I can run without water (I spent my first couple of decades running without it even longer distances because I can't handle carrying bottles and I had a bad attitude about running with any kind of pack - my ignorance) but I find my performance is better with regular sips of water. Why did I go without for so long? :/
  • khan2187
    khan2187 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For those asking how long do I run and where, I am situated in Dubai, U.A.E. and I tend to run early mornings (5am to 6am) for about 4 Miles. Since I am in the middle of a desert, temperature range from lows of 35 Centigrade and goes up to 50 Centigrade with humidity roaring up to 80 %, so in my situation staying hydrated even for a mile can make a lot of difference.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I hate carrying water, so I plan my long runs to have water stops en route. Doesn't have to be a drinking fountain - petrol stations, public loos, and there's a corner store that has a tap just up it's driveway... I was taught this when I joined a marathon running club. No one carried water, we carried little plastic bags to fill instead. The planned runs were designed to hit a water stop every 5-6km. That being said, this winter I managed go for up to 2 hours without a stop (drinking loads the day before helps hugely). On a humid summer's day I'll need water after 45 minutes.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    For shorter runs I don't bother carrying any water. If I'm going to be out longer than an hour I plan my route to either loop past my house so I can drink from a pre-stashed bottle, or I'll make sure there's a drinking fountain available. One of my routes takes me past a running shop and they have a chilled water cooler outside for thirsty runners. I do have a small bottle that I can attach to my spibelt and if it's really hot and humid then I will take this with me.
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    10 miles and under I can usually get away with not bringing food or drink- as long as it’s not too hot. When I go above 10 miles, I have a small handheld bottle that straps across my hand and has a little pocket for food (gummies or sports beans). Around 15 or 16 miles is when I have to break out the ol’ Camelback. I don’t care for belts, but maybe I’ve never had the right belt.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    khan2187 wrote: »
    I tend to get really thirsty during runs and can down around a liter of water.

Usually I would wear a small bag pack to carry around that water or else just a large bottle in hand (There are no public water fountains to drink from)

Is there any other way to carry around the water which is not to obvious?

I always laugh as I pass people running with a number of water bottles and gells in their pockets on a 5km runs barely moving. Unless you are doing a marathon like runs, none of that is required.

How do you know how far they are running?

Because they are part of my running club and we have organized runs couple times a week where different group run different distance at a different pace.

you would think someone in a running club would talk to them about fueling their runs...

Why? What do I care? They are not harming themselves by doing this, just look ridiculous IMO. If someone asks for advice I am sure it would be given.

obviously you care enough to post about it here.

Of course it is your prerogative to just mock rather than help people but maybe someone else will offer the benefit of their experience.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great discussion, got some good ideas so thanks!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have a hydration belt with two small water bottles and a pouch. I generally don't need any extra water when running a 5k or so, but afterward I'll walk another 5-10k and will use them then. If it's not a hot day I sometimes don't even need that, as long as I hydrate well beforehand. Our park has water fountains spread out through it as well, so it's not usually a big issue unless it's 100F outside.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For our UAE guy, make sure you get your salts too.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I have a flipbelt with a water bottle. I also have a camelbak that I use for long (multi hour) runs in the heat. I have (high) blood sugar issues on long runs and that can mess with my fuel/water intake needs quite a bit so I tend to be overprepared vs need the ambulance. Ridicule away. I find chewing gum while I’m running helps keep my mouth from getting dry (if that’s why you’re drinking so much?).
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    This might be a bit of a jerk move, but since I only do one run max per week that's long enough to need water (9-10miles+ for me), I just carry a couple bucks in my flipbelt and run into a store around the 60% point of my run. I then carry it as I make up the couple minutes lost time, slow down enough to drink it and eat a gel if I need it, and carry the empty long enough to find a recycling bin.

I only run in an urban area so it's pretty easy to stop somewhere at any given point, and I'm not training for anything or looking to PR, so it works for me and is more convenient and comfortable for me than messing around with belts or backpacks since I don't really care if it affects my time a bit (I just kinda speed up a bit for a few minutes to compensate and call it good.) $2/week is worth the convenience of not having to wear a vest or whatever for me.

If it's really hot I get a sports drink instead and I get it earlier and carry it longer, but I'm in a cool, dry part of Canada and it is very rare that this is necessary for me.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    For our UAE guy, make sure you get your salts too.

I have to applaud those in charge of tourist education in the UAE. Years ago when competing in a triathlon in Dubai salt tablets were handed out to all participants and there were several first responders on hand checking everyone's hydration levels in the transitions.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I am a hillwalker/hiker. I carry a camelpak because I prefer to sip little and often rather than big gulps. I find the sips help keep my mouth hydrated so I don't feel the need to actually 'drink' too much.
  • EdB9992015
    EdB9992015 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In my belly :) I just make sure I’m well hydrated and neck a couple glasses before I head out. But then I generally only do short distances (5-10k) at a fairly slow pace, in the evening when its cooler and less traffic. I did an organised (hilly) 10k in the summer and it was 32c, I was very gratefully for every water point.
    Not mocking, just makes me laugh because really there is no reason for this at all.

I have a similar (internal) chuckle to myself when I see the ‘serious’ walkers sporting a pair of walking poles, hiking boots and half the mountain warehouse catalogue to walk the same trail everyone else seems to be managing just fine in a pair of shorts and flip-flops :D
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have a small 300ml or so water bottle that straps to my hand so it stops me gripping hard on something and making me tense on one side. Can't remeber the brand name but I really rate it. I couldn't stand running for any amount of time without something to wet my whistle.

People go on about not needing it for a short run and I am aware I won't die but it makes me a hell of a lot more comfortable to be able to have a swig of water.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    khan2187 wrote: »
    For those asking how long do I run and where, I am situated in Dubai, U.A.E. and I tend to run early mornings (5am to 6am) for about 4 Miles. Since I am in the middle of a desert, temperature range from lows of 35 Centigrade and goes up to 50 Centigrade with humidity roaring up to 80 %, so in my situation staying hydrated even for a mile can make a lot of difference.

Well that might have changed some of the answers! lol