Losing inches not weight

Options
Hi guys maybe you can help me out with this question. I started MFP about 4 weeks ago and my daily calorie intake was 1265 a day with being slightly active, Now that I'm active my calorie intake went up to 1450 a day, my question is since I went up in calories I haven't lost weight but did lose inches, will I lose any more weight or just lose inches? I still want to lose weight but not cut my calorie intake since I'm working out 5 days a week now. Any suggestions would greatly help :)

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Hi guys maybe you can help me out with this question. I started MFP about 4 weeks ago and my daily calorie intake was 1265 a day with being slightly active, Now that I'm active my calorie intake went up to 1450 a day, my question is since I went up in calories I haven't lost weight but did lose inches, will I lose any more weight or just lose inches? I still want to lose weight but not cut my calorie intake since I'm working out 5 days a week now. Any suggestions would greatly help :)

Can you clarify what you mean by now that I am active? Did you recently start a work out routine and are logging the exercise so you get more calories? Or has your recently daily activity changed where you are walking around more? How long has it been since you saw movement on the scale?

If you have recently started a new work out it is common to retain water. It can be frustrating because the scale doesn't move for a couple of weeks.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You're retaining water. Weight loss should continue soon.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    That activity letting on MFP has nothing to do with your amount of exercise - which it sounds like you increased it because of working out more now.

MFP, unlike almost every other site out there - figures an eating goal based on your selected daily activity level with NO exercise being expected.

You are expected to honestly log the workouts when done, then you eat more on those days you do more.
    Less on days you do less.
    Life lesson regarding weight control there.

Honest means by time - was the aerobics program really 60 min long - or 5 min warmup much easier, 5 min cooldown, and 5 min stretching - so actually 45 min aerobics program. Or spinning class, or whatever.
    If you eventually hit 6 mph on the treadmill, but total distance for an hour was 5 miles - you don't log 6 mph jogging.

Some workouts that have no intensity listed on them (like spinning, aerobics, ect) probably take 75% of suggested calorie burn, but others that are specific (4mph walking, 6mph jogging, bicycling 15mph) are better.

This will likely end up with less calories for the week - for weight loss.
    But more on the days you want it to recover from a good workout.

Dittos to water weight for right now.
    Hard to find a valid weigh in day too probably to avoid known water weight fluctuations.
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    have you considered weighing yourself everyday, on the same scale, at the same time and seeing what that trend is? Yes, I sound like a broken record with that. And, take into account that your menstrual cycle will affect that....
  • bgonzalez_2016
    bgonzalez_2016 Posts: 24 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    At first MFP put me at 1265 cal because I was not working out. Once I started working out my calorie intake increased to 1450. I work out 5 days a week for about 1 hour . 30 minutes cardio and 30 to 45 minutes weight lifting
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    At first MFP put me at 1265 cal because I was not working out. Once I started working out my calorie intake increased to 1450. I work out 5 days a week for about 1 hour . 30 minutes cardio and 30 to 45 minutes weight lifting

It has been a few weeks. Is the scale still not moving? What is your weight and height? How are you measuring your food intake - are you weighing your food or using measuring cups?
  • isay808
    isay808 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think everybody's body responds different to exercise/diet. You mentioned you started about four weeks ago at 1265 which puts you in a big caloric deficit. The first 5-10 lbs are usually easy to come off. Now that you added weight training you may lose lbs much slower but your waist line will feel/see a big difference. Keep up the good work, it sounds like you're ok the right track. Just don't put yourself in such a deficit where you don't have energy to go about your day. Feel free to add me as a friend, would love to track your progress.
  • gonzalezeric62
    gonzalezeric62 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Screw weight!! I'm heavier than most of my friends but carry a smaller waistline. think of body building like body-shaping. you want to sculpt your desired physique. the weight on the scale is just a byproduct.
  • neerajanarayan1967
    neerajanarayan1967 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    hi, i am also in the same boat. I lost inches all around the body but the scale is not budging. frustrating. I am doing 2 miles leslie sansone walk and JM 30 day shred. so 54 minutes daily. why scale is not moving? pls suggest.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    hi, i am also in the same boat. I lost inches all around the body but the scale is not budging. frustrating. I am doing 2 miles leslie sansone walk and JM 30 day shred. so 54 minutes daily. why scale is not moving? pls suggest.

Probably should start your own thread - and include a whole lot more useful info for anyone to give an informative response.
    You give no stats, no daily life activity level comment, 54 min daily of what exactly, both those workouts daily with no breaks, no eating level, no amount to lose, no weight loss selected comment, ect.

These are all needed pieces of info for useful comments, or else you'll just get a bunch of comments that no one would have a clue if they really applied to you, and you could spend years trying different ideas which really don't matter.

Include all those comments in another topic you start - but it sounds like not put under Gaining Weight and body building since you said wanting to lose weight.