Hair Loss

Options
I've been sticking to a 1,200 calorie, low carb, high protein diet for 6 months and I've lost over 60 lbs. One month in, my liver enzymes went through the roof, so I have to stick to a low fat diet, too, doctor's orders. Low fat and low cab is not easy. Now I've started losing my hair. It's gotten so thin in spots and it's hard to cover up. I see a nutritionist tomorrow. Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, you are fairly low calorie, averaging over 2lbs a week. Considering that, with the combination of lower fat, I am not surprised you are losing hair. You are probably deficient in some vitamins (which a blood test can evaluate), which can effect things. Personally, I'd increase carbs and more important calories to around 1600 calories, because right now your maintenance is more than 2200. Heck, it might be worth refeeding by going up to your maintenance level for two weeks and then coming back with a smaller deficit.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I second spending some time eating at maintenance, at least two weeks. By the time your hair starts falling out you are deep into underfeeding and undernourishing territory. Hair falling out means you've been deficient in something for a while, it's not an instantaneous response.

I would also see a dietician not a nutritionist.

I third this
  • kelley4avon
    kelley4avon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My dietician put me on 1200 calories and no carbs, but I do end up eating about 75 grams of carbs a day. My gastroenterologist put me on low fat because of bile duct blockages. He agreed with the dietician about the low calorie and low carb diet. My family doctor is fine with this, too. Im seeing the nutritionist tomorrow hoping to get my blood work done to see what I'm missing. Im hoping it will grow back. I was hoping to hear from someone who's gone through this. If it grew back.
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My dietician put me on 1200 calories and no carbs, but I do end up eating about 75 grams of carbs a day. My gastroenterologist put me on low fat because of bile duct blockages. He agreed with the dietician about the low calorie and low carb diet. My family doctor is fine with this, too. Im seeing the nutritionist tomorrow hoping to get my blood work done to see what I'm missing. Im hoping it will grow back. I was hoping to hear from someone who's gone through this. If it grew back.

They should be tapering your deficit as you become more lean and should probably incorporate refeeds. But its obvious something isnt working. And if you have bile issues, then you should increase carbs.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So the dietician will be far more thoroughly qualified than the nutritionist so why the switch?

I'm going to guess with all of the treatment team being in agreement you are significantly obese?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hair loss can be attributable to undereating or malnutrition. You are eating a very restrictive diet. I certainly hope you are treating some pretty serious health issues by eating this way, otherwise I would suggest getting a second opinion.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    your body is not getting the nutrition it needs
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Many things can contribute to hair loss, like sudden weight loss or change in diet, stress, age, genetics, hormones. It's hard to say if it's diet alone without seeing history and physical evaluations....no carbs is not good. Carbs provide important energy to body and brain, low carbs is good for diabetics and weight watchers if your not getting enough excercise. I would switch nutritionist, everything has carbs unless your eating just protein, and if that's all your doing it's not healthy or sustainable. You can do high protein low carb and fat and balance out your diet and start moving/exercising daily. I experienced hair loss but mine is postpartum, hormone tanking after baby lol. I recommend a good multivitamin at 1200 calories, that's what I do. Hope it clears up, sounds like your body is just adjusting to diet tho...... :) good look in your journey!!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Definitely get yourself checked out by a physician. Could be diet or could be any one of numerous other illnesses that evidence as hair loss. I have alopecia and my hair falls out in small round patches. Unconnected with deficit.
  • kelley4avon
    edited October 2017
    Options
    So the dietician will be far more thoroughly qualified than the nutritionist so why the switch?

I'm going to guess with all of the treatment team being in agreement you are significantly obese?

I'm 213. The dietician and nutritionist work together. That's why I see both of them.
  • kelley4avon
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Hair loss can be attributable to undereating or malnutrition. You are eating a very restrictive diet. I certainly hope you are treating some pretty serious health issues by eating this way, otherwise I would suggest getting a second opinion.

It's been incredibly difficult. The doctor's don't want me eating carbs, not even brown rice, because I have polycystic ovarian syndrome. The gastro doctor wants me on low fat because of high liver enzymes and recurrent bile duct blockages. (Unbelievably painful!) The weight had been falling off, but I'm getting tired of egg whites.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What about adding supplements? Multivitamin and a multimineral.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

It's been incredibly difficult. The doctor's don't want me eating carbs, not even brown rice, because I have polycystic ovarian syndrome. The gastro doctor wants me on low fat because of high liver enzymes and recurrent bile duct blockages. (Unbelievably painful!) The weight had been falling off, but I'm getting tired of egg whites.

I'm sorry that you're struggling :frowning: . It seems like the doctor and dietician are both giving you diet recommendations that don't work together. It might be a stupid question, but have you told them how limited your diet has become and that you are losing hair? Is it possible to get a second opinion? I'm obviously not a medical professional, so perhaps it's necessary, but at the least they should be able to find a diet for you that doesn't lead to its own problems. Best of luck, I hope you can get on an easier path soon.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You can have carbs even with PCOS. Depending on the person, they can shoot for 140g or less. But ultimately, dietary compliance is going to be hard if you dont have either carbs or fats. They are sources of fuel. Protein sucks as fuel. Add in low calorie and you have a bad recipe. They probably need to find some happy medium.

Did you GI tell you a range on fat or limit of where the fat comes from?
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had my hair fall out from under-eating. For a while I was losing hair by the handful and then it started growing back again. It took ages though. (Or maybe just seemed to, it's kind of distressing!)

It seems to me, that both low carb and low fat is impossible. Whilst people with pcos often go low carb, not all do. And the bile duct blockages would seem like the more pressing issue. In my, absolutely unprofessional opinion, I'd try for a low fat diet at a reasonable deficit and see how you go for month. If you don't lose, lower the deficit a little, repeat etc.

Good Luck!