Kettlebells - best moves for total body workout?

Options
Hi all

I’m really getting into using my kettlebells again and have been following some FB videos but I don’t think they are challenging enough for me.

What I want to do is follow a routine using the most beneficial KB moves so I can be more consistent and be able to increase my weight etc but I can’t seem to find any information and wondered if you could help me?

What I mean by the most beneficial moves is like when we use the barbell and the beneficial/compound movements being the deadlift, squat, shoulder press etc....

Thanks

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can do all the same BB moves with KB. Plus swings done correctly, single leg RDL, get ups, farmer walk, waiter walk. Don't know what you've tried that you feel is inadequate?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't have a routine to share, but I incorporate kettlebells into a lot of my lower body routines.

If the moves aren't challenging enough, you may need to buy heavier kettlebells. Or another option, incorporate more single-leg moves with them, or add bands.

I do kettlebell squats- single leg, Bulgarian, with or without bands (I use multiple bands or a hip circle to really make it challenging), you can also do deadlifts, single-leg deadlifts, Kettlebell swings are great.. I have tried them with a band on the legs also with a long band secured to a sturdy structure and have it sit just below the waist.. wow talk about an awesome glute burner.
  • kmaf2018
    kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ooooh the band sounds good! I’ve done most KB moves but the workout videos I’ve done so far dont always incorporate my fave moves, maybe its just me! Maybe I just need to incorporate all my fave moves into my own workout and just stick to that! I love bulgarian split squats! And I’m liking the one legged deadlift! Helps me focus on my core and balance . My KB’s are heavy enough for me, I’m currently using 10kgs.

I just often read that theres no point doing your own thing as its pointless unless you follow a proper programme thats why I thought I’d ask on here. I dont have any specific goal in terms except at the moment to lose fat which I’m doing via a calorie deficit! I just like to be consistent but because I cant quite find the right KB workout I’m doing different ones each week.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Are (double) kettlebell front squats, Turkish get-ups, (double) clean and push press in your routine?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Anything that restricts the amount of weight such as kettle bells, dumbbells, bands, single leg etc is not going to be as efficient or beneficial as using a barbell with full compound movemenrs when strength is a goal.

Is a gym or buying a used barbell/weights a option?
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I second Turkish Get ups. Awesome exercise.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There are a few KB programs that I like. Pavel's Simple and Sinister, Kettlebells for Women https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1612430279/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1508713074&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=lauren+brooks+kettlebell&dpPl=1&dpID=51ZnOlsUg-L&ref=plSrch and Be SLAM by Lauren Brooks http://www.ontheedgefitness.com/product-category/be-slam/be-slam-program
    I'm doing Be SLAM right now. I'm an intermediate Kettlebell user and it does not disappoint. The first month is a little easy, but it ramps up quick.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This is a good free kettlebell resource cpkb2
  • jenniferplatter
    jenniferplatter Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with two previous posters...Turkish get ups.