Savory Oatmeal and Soft-Cooked Egg

Ingredients

1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
Coarse salt and ground pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
1 large egg
2 tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar
1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallion greens

I can't wait to try it out. I ran out of bananas so I'm improvising and trying something different.

Replies

• theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOD. Two versions:

Sweet Tooth's Breakfast:
    1/2 cup dry rolled oats - cook in microwave for 3 minutes or on stovetop for 10. pour oats into bowl. +150 cals
    1/4 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk - pour over oats and mix in. +12 cals
    Drizzle agave syrup or honey on top, no more than a tablespoon. +50 cals for agave, +30 cals for honey
    Shredded coconut on top. +20 cals = 232 calories (at most)!

Protein Monster
    1/2 cup dry rolled oats - cook in microwave or on stove. pour oats into bowl. +150 cals
    1 tbsp peanut butter - drop on top of oats. +100 cals
    3 strawberries, sliced - throw them on top of the oats and pb. +12 cals = 262 cals!
    *I like this guy 'cause combining vit c and whole grains boosts the signals in your body to burn fat for fuel. if you workout in the morning, this would definitely be your go-to meal!*
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I wasn't in the mood for sweet oatmeal this morning...taste buds wanted something savory...here's what did the trick!

1/4 cup rolled oats plus
    1/8 cup steel cut oats (I love combining the two!)

Let soak in a scant cup of water for 10 minutes or more.

Add in:

3 oz sliced Smithfield ham, diced
    1 wedge Laughing Cow garlic and herb cheese, cut into pieces

Cook in microwave...I need to do it on 70% power for about 3 minutes and keep an eye on it or it boils out of the bowl. You'll have to experiment to see how long it takes.

After it comes out, stir in 2 teaspoons of olive oil...would probably have worked fine with 1 teaspoon.

It was delicious and very filling! Total calories: 355. It could have been lowered to 270 by going with half the ham and half the oil.
  • NaCheezIt
    NaCheezIt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My usual is
    1/2 Cup old fashioned oats- 150
    1 oz. Fat Free Cheddar Cheese- 45
    2 tbsp. Parmesan Cheese- 20
    1 tbsp. ground flax- 35
    Spices/Salt
    2 cups water with the flax, if you omit the flax, use 1 to 1.5 cups.

Grand total of 250 and lost of yummy protein :)
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I tried several different recipes trying to find one that would get me to like oatmeal...I finally found one and have it almost every day :)

I don't really like the consistency of oatmeal so I blend 1/2 cup of Old Fashioned Oats in my Magic Bullet for a second or two first...

In a sauce pan I add 1 cup skim milk with the oats and just a touch of salt, let it cook on low for about 10-15 mins until creamy and thick, then I add 1 Tablespoon of Light Promise spread and 1 Tablespoon of sugar

Super yummy and very filling!
  • momocurti
    momocurti Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Here's my every-morning oatmeal... although I'm going to have to try some of these. Yum!

1/4 c Coach's Oats
    pinch sea salt
    2T flax meal
    1T dried blueberries
    1T craisins

Mix dry ingredients to avoid clumps of flax meal. Add 1c water and microwave abt 4 minutes. Add 1/4 to 1/2 c vanilla soymilk

Not too sweet, but just enough.