Replies

• artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @sgt1371
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me how in the world you cook tofu or what you even do with it? I’ve never had it before but the amount of protein in it seems beneficial. Any tasty recipe suggestions?

Tofu is gross. Quorn is better in terms of Meat-free
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Nutrition profile for Tofu (85 g)

https://goo.gl/images/NhW77m
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I learned something new today. Quorn is a fungus, grown industrially in vats.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I've had Tofu out - mostly from food trucks (Asian and Mexican based food). I've never tried to cook it. But one of the food trucks pan fries theirs (I'm guessing it's extra firm) and it ends up crunchy and it's delicous. Doesn't really taste like anything, but with the other ingredients in the rice bowl, it works.

If I ever was to venture, I'd try that, cube it and fry it with a bit of olive oil in a pan until the tofu browns.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I used to love tofu until soy decided it hated me. I can't eat soy products any more. I even had a tofu press. I found it was worth the money because it got so much more moisture out of the firm tofu. Always buy extra firm, and definitely press it.

My favorite way to prepare it was to marinate it in a mixture of lemon juice and soy sauce with plenty of garlic in the marinade. This didn't give it an Asian flavor, it just gave it an umami flavor. Then I baked it in the marinade.

Sometimes I'd take the tofu marinated that way and dip it in gluten free bread crumbs and fry it. That was amazing cubed on top of salads or topped with tomato sauce. Even the kids and husband liked that.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    First off, get the firm stuff, it's easier to handle. I like medium because I'm weird, but most people like the firm better. If it is in a big block, cut lengthwise to make it more like a steak. Place it on a pile of paper towels on a cutting board. Put some more paper towels on top. Find something heavy and put it in the fridge. The water will come out of it. I sometimes press it a few times, changing out the paper towels every time. This may take a few hours. It should be compressed and dryer. If you get bean curd, you can skip this part. The thinner the tofu, the easier it is to get the water out, but don't go too thin as it will compress somewhat.

To Bake it: Then, make a nice marinade. I've used everything from black bean sauce, mushroom oyster sauce, a nice coconut curry. You can make a nice marinade from any flavour you like really - All good. Marinate it for an hour or overnight. The longer the better. Poke holes in it for more flavour absorption
    Bake it at 375 for 15 minutes, flip and bake it for 15 minutes more. You can go longer if it's really thick. I use parchment paper on a cookie sheet. You can do it in steaks or in cubes, depending on what you are doing with it. I bake the cubes to add to stir fries.

To fry: Season and put a little bit of cornstarch on that tofu. Heat up some sesame oil until HOT in the pan. Fry until golden and crispy. You can also marinate it and then season it and starch it and fry it, just make sure that you get most of the marinade off before the cornstarch treatment.

You can cube it before frying it, or leave it in little steaks. I cube it and fry it and then add it to stir fries, or keep it as a mini steak if I'm feeling like a tofu steak.

You can also bread it and fry it. I've never breaded it and baked it.

Either way you try it, it's really cheap so it's a cheap mistake to make if you fudge it up the first few times.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    Options
    Can someone please explain to me how in the world you cook tofu or what you even do with it? I’ve never had it before but the amount of protein in it seems beneficial. Any tasty recipe suggestions?

Quorn will never be legal in Canada because it's an industrial grown product that is made of a weird fungus and will never pass Canadian food guidelines. I'd skip it if entire countries aren't allowed to have it for that reason.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Quorn will never be legal in Canada because it's an industrial grown product that is made of a weird fungus and will never pass Canadian food guidelines. I'd skip it if entire countries aren't allowed to have it for that reason.

What does "industrial grown product" mean? Lots of products are grown by industries, that's the source of most produce we eat. What is the specific concern about Quorn? Do the guidelines actually bar "weird fungus"?
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I made and excellent spicy peanut butter tofu stir fry for lunch. Onion, Swiss chard, red peppers, tofu, bean sprouts and green onion all suateed in a pan. The sauce is 2 TBS creamy peanut butter, 1 TBS soy sauce, 1 TBS chili garlic paste and some water to think it out....stir it all together and stir into pan with the veggies and tofu. I used firm tofu and just cut it into cubes....I don't bother squeezing water out or try and brown it. It's good as is mixed in with the sauce.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Yep, I like Trader Joe’s High Protein Extra Firm Tofu. I sautée it in a little garlic olive oil and then add veggies and egg whites. I like it for the extra protein.

Tofu absorbs the flavor of what it’s cooked in. You can get a lot of protein for the calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    First off, get the firm stuff, it's easier to handle. I like medium because I'm weird, but most people like the firm better. If it is in a big block, cut lengthwise to make it more like a steak. Place it on a pile of paper towels on a cutting board. Put some more paper towels on top. Find something heavy and put it in the fridge. The water will come out of it. I sometimes press it a few times, changing out the paper towels every time. This may take a few hours. It should be compressed and dryer. If you get bean curd, you can skip this part. The thinner the tofu, the easier it is to get the water out, but don't go too thin as it will compress somewhat.

To Bake it: Then, make a nice marinade. I've used everything from black bean sauce, mushroom oyster sauce, a nice coconut curry. You can make a nice marinade from any flavour you like really - All good. Marinate it for an hour or overnight. The longer the better. Poke holes in it for more flavour absorption
    Bake it at 375 for 15 minutes, flip and bake it for 15 minutes more. You can go longer if it's really thick. I use parchment paper on a cookie sheet. You can do it in steaks or in cubes, depending on what you are doing with it. I bake the cubes to add to stir fries.

To fry: Season and put a little bit of cornstarch on that tofu. Heat up some sesame oil until HOT in the pan. Fry until golden and crispy. You can also marinate it and then season it and starch it and fry it, just make sure that you get most of the marinade off before the cornstarch treatment.

You can cube it before frying it, or leave it in little steaks. I cube it and fry it and then add it to stir fries, or keep it as a mini steak if I'm feeling like a tofu steak.

You can also bread it and fry it. I've never breaded it and baked it.

Either way you try it, it's really cheap so it's a cheap mistake to make if you fudge it up the first few times.

Hunh? Tofu is bean curd.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've blended the softer version up into my protein shakes a time or two.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I had a chocolate type of mousse dessert made with silken tofu, it was lovely
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Try blending extra firm tofu with a packet of ranch seasoning (or your substitution) and a package of drained squeezed spinach. Use to fill phyllo tartlets and bake. They are really good chilled, like quiche.

Fry it like eggs, or meat. Dry it out by slicking it thin and layering between plates and paper towels in the fridge overnight. I put a can on top to weight down. The next day, you can season with some salt, pepper, and tarragon and fry like eggs.

Silken tofu is good blended up with fruit, or I like it with a little tofu and sesame seeds.

Most ppl hate this, but I actually just eat a chunk of extra firm tofu on the go. I slice it off and put it in a baggie with a paper towel. It’s not most ppl’s thing, but it’s very filling and sometimes I just need something fast that will really stick.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I always freeze my tofu overnight and thaw it before pressing/using. It changes the texture and makes it more chewy and "toothsome", and it soaks up marinade more quickly. I also think it makes it taste slightly nutty, but I might be imagining that part.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I always freeze my tofu overnight and thaw it before pressing/using. It changes the texture and makes it more chewy and "toothsome", and it soaks up marinade more quickly. I also think it makes it taste slightly nutty, but I might be imagining that part.

I’ve grown to really like that nutty taste, or whatever it is. Somehow, it used to taste kinda bitter to me, but I’ve gotten over that.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    Options
    @janejellyroll
    The problem is they don't list "fungus" on the package, and they won't. There is an intent to deceive right there.

Canada has stricter food guidelines than the US and the UK, and incorrect labels are one thing that really cheese off our government. No one would buy it if they listed it as a fungus, so call it a mushroom or something else. That doesn't fly in the great white north.

There is also the fact that allergic reactions are much higher in Quorn than for soy or milk or other controls. Not to mention the fact that it is made from a fungus they found in the ground. It hasn't had sufficient long term studies. All things that will cause the Canadian Food and Drug people to refuse to let it in the stores. We can order it from online sources if we are desperate for it, but I doubt anyone is that desperate for mycoprotein fungus in the shape of roast.