Calories got me confused...and i won't lose any weight :(

Options
So I am set to lose 1.5 pounds a week. This gives me 1200 cals to work with. Now ... I exercise on top of this and burn about 400-600 a day.

For 2 months I ate back my calories and didn't lose anything. Then gave up for 2 weeks. Then told myself not give up and have been back exercising and on here for the past week and half. This time I am not eating back all my calories... I eat about 1200-1400 cals in food but I still have a deficite of about 200-300 cals left over. So I don't eat those. I still haven't lost 1 pound.

Sigh.... my food diary is public if you guys can take a look and help me out! I want to lose 4-5 pounds by August 31st.

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    sorry i don't have anything to offer but i would like to hear what others say so bump
  • areittinger
    areittinger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Do you have a HRM. I know MFP and machines really over estimate calories burned. If you dont maybe buy one cant hurt to try! Good luck!
  • Marzipan91
    Options
    I noticed that you're really over in sugar. Maybe you should try and cut that down.
  • melissabranscom
    Options
    I checked out your food dairy, your calories look good, but your carbs and sugars are very high. In my opinion, you should try to lower your carbs and your sugars along with your calories. I think the daily reccommended allowance for carbs to lose weight is 90-100. Check this out and do some research and see what you think. Hope this helps you.
  • ApproachingDusk
    Options
    Keep your chin up, all is not lost.

I went through a similar exercising slap in the face when it comes to the scale, I ate or didnt eat my exercise calories, exercised and still the scale didn't move or even went up! When I exercise I retain water so that could be something thats happening with you also. Or you could just be gaining muscle. Try taking your measurements and keep track of your progress that way as well.

Also increase your protein. Muscles need protein to build.
  • RREert
    RREert Posts: 3
    Options
    I feel for you and completely know your frustration! My plan should've been about 1.5 pounds per week as well. I began around May 10th and until July 15th I was working out at least five times per week (I logged 60 miles in the month of June). I went from nearly no exercise to that and have not lost a single pound. I also can not possibly eat the added calories from my work-outs (nearly 300-400 per day). The lack of weight loss has really gotten to me. I would be happier if my body really seemed to be changing but there is not much of a difference. My legs look better and my husband has noticed that. But that's about it. My clothes really do not fit much differently. By this time I had planned to have already lost 10-12 pounds. I am proud of myself that I have changed my lifestyle and now eat a much healthier diet and exercise regularly. I am not extremely overweight (I actually am within the healthy and normal range for my age). I am nearing 40 and would love to take off the pounds that I have gained since turning 30 and having my daughter. Ugh. At least you know that you are not alone!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You need to give it more time. I didn't see any weight loss for at least 3 weeks, maybe more, then it just started falling off. Just stick with it and it will happen.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Just from your ticker it looks like you want to lose 12 pounds overall? In that case, you're goal is way too high, you should be at a goal of losing a pound per week, if not a half a pound per week. An obese person can typically drop a lot of weight right away because their body has so much excess, any amount of exercise and eating right will make a big difference. But when you don't have a lot to lose, it's going to take longer and your body will be more resistant to letting go of it. That's usually why when people have had success losing weight, that last 10 pounds is much more difficult than the earlier steps in the journey.

I would change your goal to 1/2 pound per week, or at the very least a pound and see if there is any improvement. I know it will be slow, but so far if you're weight hasn't budged, you don't have anything to lose by trying.
  • phizb4
    phizb4 Posts: 1
    Options
    Maybe my experience will help you. My goal is to eat 1900 cals a day. I exercise by swimming one hour a day, which burns more than 900 calories. I would eat about 2800 calories. I've been doing this for over a year. My weight has fluctuated between 210 and 218 the whole time. I haven't really lost any weight, BUT I have lost about five inches off my waist (44 to 39), and about the same off my chest. Pay attention to your measurements! Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're building muscle while losing fat, your weight will stay the same. You might also want to pay attention to your BMI index. There are ways to measure it and keep track. Don't just pay attention to your weight. In fact, don't weigh yourself more than once a month. Also, like others have told you, a more realistic and healthy goal is to lose about one pound a week.
  • texakin20
    texakin20 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Are you having Non Scale Victories? Are you wearing jeans you used to could not? Waist changing? Just wondering if things are shifting for you but maybe not weight lose.

Good luck :(
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Just from your ticker it looks like you want to lose 12 pounds overall? In that case, you're goal is way too high, you should be at a goal of losing a pound per week, if not a half a pound per week. An obese person can typically drop a lot of weight right away because their body has so much excess, any amount of exercise and eating right will make a big difference. But when you don't have a lot to lose, it's going to take longer and your body will be more resistant to letting go of it. That's usually why when people have had success losing weight, that last 10 pounds is much more difficult than the earlier steps in the journey.

I would change your goal to 1/2 pound per week, or at the very least a pound and see if there is any improvement. I know it will be slow, but so far if you're weight hasn't budged, you don't have anything to lose by trying.

THIS. Change your goal since you're lighter.
  • texakin20
    texakin20 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're building muscle while losing fat, your weight will stay the same.

I love that and hope that is my problem too! Just staying the same in weight but working out more then I use to. :)
  • FitnessPal4L1f3
    FitnessPal4L1f3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary - very impressive! Now, while I am not a expert in nutrition or fitness, this opinion is based on various arcticles I've read.

I would try to make 60% of your calories come from Protein, 20% from Carbs and 20% Fat. Now if you do this, increase your water consumption to "about" 12 eight ounce glasses a day. Consumption of protein takes more energy to burn. This in turn means more water.

Based on your picture it looks like your height to weight or BMI looks low - so weight loss might be harder. The best way in the first couple of months to loose weight is add some weight training. Building muscle burns more calories and when you weight train and "repair" muscles, that too will require more protein and water.

Hope this helps....

VR

Kevin
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Ok here is my wacked out theory that I have created from my own experiences. When I eat calories that are easy to digest like fruit, noodles, crackers, milk, etc I gain weight. It's like every calorie makes it into my body. BUT if I eat meats, nuts, salads, etc, things that are slower to digest and have naturally existing fibers then I lose weight.

So maybe some of it goes undigested, or maybe there is more energy spent of breaking down the more complex foods?

Otherwise - have you checked measurements? Sometimes when the scale is stuck the inches are shrinking.

:)
  • FemmeAndi
    FemmeAndi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i can't barrreelly squeeze into my pants now... i've gained 6-10 pounds since i started exercising! I'm scared I wil have to buy all new pants soon! :( I've been waering my sweat pants to avoid putting on my jeans cause its just so dissappointing.. I feel like ishould have never begun to work out.. I was just fine at 135.. and now i'm at 144! :(
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have that much to lose, I would suggest setting your goal to lose 1/2 pound per week instead of 1.5. It really sounds backwards but apparently it works!
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    Me too. I am running for 55 minutes everyday plus walking another 15 to get home and doing videos/30 day shred almost everyday. Mfp has me set at 1200 calories a day so I am eating about 1500 to eat some of my exercise calories back (mfp is overestimating my workout calories so I don't want to eat them all back). I have been on here for 3 weeks but was already running/doing videos/eating less calories for a couple of weeks before then...so 5 weeks total and I have lost one pound. My legs do look different but it is so frustrating to be working so hard and not losing anything. I understand I may be trading fat for muscle but I am wondering how long it will take for me to start seeing more results. My measurements are the same and my clothes fit the same. I figure it is going to have to work at some point so I am going to keep at it. I am 39 and have three sons ages 6,4 1/2, and 2 1/2 so it isn't easy to fit in exercise and always make good food choices with all the snacks they eat...even if they are healthy the calories add up. I am 5'11" and weigh 164 and want to lose 20 pounds. I am in my weight range and am not really overweight but I am flabby and want my thin, fit body back. I posted something about this too and I know you would love some words of wisdom and I don't have any but you are not alone!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    i can't barrreelly squeeze into my pants now... i've gained 6-10 pounds since i started exercising! I'm scared I wil have to buy all new pants soon! :( I've been waering my sweat pants to avoid putting on my jeans cause its just so dissappointing.. I feel like ishould have never begun to work out.. I was just fine at 135.. and now i'm at 144! :(

That much of a gain on < 1500 calories a day doesn't make sense. I think I'd talk to your doctor. Any chance you are pregnant?
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    It's already been mentioned, but your sugar intake is high. Also, adjust your macros. You're taking in way too many carbohydrates. You probably feel starving even though you take in the same amount of calories, especially if you exercise. The carbs you do eat should be from fruits and veggies. Stay away from any breads/pastas/rice until you get to a weight you'd like to maintain.

Change your macros to 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs. The more fat you eat, the more satisfied you'll feel and the less cravings you should have.