Can only jog 3 minutes, is that horrible?

Options

Replies

• davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You are doing well if u can jog 3 minutes. its more than me before i started. As people said just run/walk and then gradually swap some walking for running an you will soon be running 5k . get decent shoes as well and stretch out afterwards
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the couch to 5k program :)

http://www.c25k.com/

Hello from one shorty to another! I'm 5'1" also.

3 minutes is NOT horrible at all for your first time.

If running/jogging is what you want to do then I highly suggest the Couch to 5K as well. 7 weeks ago I couldn't run for 60 seconds very well let alone 3 minutes. This program really helps you get stronger by doing intervals of walking/jogging. I can now run comfortably for over 20 minutes and am finding it really trimming my thighs, butt, and waistline. Don't get me wrong, I'm not speedy by any means. I'm a SLOOOOOOW runner.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run to the next lamp-post when I started. But I figured "if I can walk fast, why can't I run slow?" and started off running (jogging) at my walking pace, or maybe even a bit slower. Built up some endurance, and then started building on speed. I'm much faster now (LOL) and my longest run so far is 23 km.
  • Stefanny91
    Stefanny91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I cant even jog 3 minutes!! you are doing better than me!!, Running/ jogging is one of thoes things that you need to build up over time
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I couldn't jog for 30 seconds when I started-out... when I tried thought I was going to puke! I began by walking for 2 months, then decided to try the C25K program. I now run 5K 3-4 times a week.

Yep, you can do it!
    Nope, 3 minutes isn't horrible, its a good start.

Best of luck to you!
  • ahultgren
    Options
    30 seconds of jogging makes me feel like I'm going to die so you are better off than me! Don't worry and don't give up!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Really, look up couch to 5k. It mixes walking and running and helps you to build up the times you are able to run in a very short time. AND it works.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Currently, my best is a 7:20-second kilometre and I at best jog about 4 mins at once.
  • franklin505
    franklin505 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey your doing great put on some music and gently dance. First for just one of your favourite songs and then increase slowly. Have fun.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Another head hangs lowly
    Child is slowly taken
    And the violence, caused such silence
    Who are we mistaken?
    But you see, it's not me
    It's not my family
    In your head, in your head, they are fighting
    With their tanks, and their bombs
    And their bombs, and their guns
    In your head, in your head they are crying
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Another head hangs lowly
    Child is slowly taken
    Who are we mistaken?
    But you see, it's not me
    It's not my family

Haahaa took me a second, I had to keep singing it in my head. Well played.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Be sure you can walk for 1/2 hour. Go buy good shoes from a running store that does some kind of gait analysis as shin splints are not fun then fire up the C25K.

I started walking when I was morbidly obese. Moved to C25k. Got shin splints. Got better shoes and Saturday almost broke 30 mins at a parkrun, so I say go for it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Be sure you can walk for 1/2 hour. Go buy good shoes from a running store that does some kind of gait analysis as shin splints are not fun then fire up the C25K.

I started walking when I was morbidly obese. Moved to C25k. Got shin splints. Got better shoes and Saturday almost broke 30 mins at a parkrun, so I say go for it.

This, exactly.

IF you can walk/run outside, so much the better.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    That is great to hear you started to run. Nothing wrong with your 3 minutes. It's admirable!

I do suggest walking though like others have suggested. I walked for one year no less than a mile each day. (Often further but we can often get 40 below temps here during the winter)

One day I sat in the tub and wondered why my *kitten* hurt so much. There was less flab!
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I can only jog about 12 seconds before I feel like I might die. Whatever you can do is awesome, so long as you're doing it. Not everyone is a marathon runner right off the bat.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, OP probably hasn't been here since fall 2012.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I started running I couldn't go for more than a minute or so without thinking that I was going to die.

Slow down, you don't want to be gasping for breath in fact you should be at a conversational pace, if that means walking right no so be it.

When I started my plan was to run (and by run I really mean slowly shuffle) 1 minute and walk 9 & repeat. The I bumped it up to 2 minutes running & 8 minutes walking etc until I could go 10 minutes consecutively and built from there. Now my favourite distance is the half-marathon and I'm doing Olympic distance triathlons.

Feeling tired after exercise when you first start is perfectly normal. Personally I'm convinced it's about 90% mental (your brain is usually your worst enemy with a new exercise program or new challenging distance etc) and 10% physical. It wasn't that many years ago I'd need a nap after running 5km, now 10km is a routine mid-week run.

Other exercises requiring no equipment? I'm a huge fan of walking but you could also look up some programs like "You Are Your Own Gym" which involve body weight exercises and require no equipment.

Keep at it and have fun!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Another head hangs lowly
    Child is slowly taken
    Who are we mistaken?
    But you see, it's not me
    It's not my family

As a member of Gen X, I appreciate this.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

DAMMMIIIITTTTT!!!!!!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

DAMMMIIIITTTTT!!!!!!

LOL! I was just thinking, someone could wreak a lot of havoc by going back and resurrecting old zombie threads!