Calories

Options
If my goal is 1500 calories per day and I’ve gotten to 1452 I’ve exercised and I have a remaining 300 something.... does that mean I have extra calories to eat?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The calories wouldn't be added to your total if you weren't supposed to eat them.
    Your goal is 1500 + exercise calories.

Have a read of the sticky threads at the top of the various forums - there's loads of useful information there.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise is not included in the MFP calorie allowance but your calorie deficit is, so when you add exercise your calorie allowance increases.

Depending on how you calculated the burns you may want to start with eating only around 50% of those additional calories in case the method used to calculate them is over-estimating and review weight loss after around 4 weeks.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yes. Net 1500 calories. MFP is designed for you eat the required calorie allotment (for you 1500 cals) plus your exercise cals.

Start with eating back a portion, adjust how much you eat back against your rate of loss, You can eat more or less after after monitoring for 4-6 weeks.

• dbabii11
    dbabii11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thankq! I’m going to read the threads to make sure I’m doing this correctly I only started Friday... wish me luck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    dbabii11 wrote: »
    Thankq! I’m going to read the threads to make sure I’m doing this correctly I only started Friday... wish me luck!

This link might be helpful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • sijomial
    Options
    Yes, exercise is not included in the MFP calorie allowance but your calorie deficit is, so when you add exercise your calorie allowance increases.

Depending on how you calculated the burns you may want to start with eating only around 50% of those additional calories in case the method used to calculate them is over-estimating and review weight loss after around 4 weeks.

@tinkerbellang83

Although I would agree that the exercise database include many overestimates which ones do you believe are double the reality?
    What proportion of the database do you believe are doubled or more?
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited October 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@tinkerbellang83

Although I would agree that the exercise database include many overestimates which ones do you believe are double the reality?

@sijomial

I didn't state the database specifically , I said depending on your method - a lot of cheaper wearables such as the ones available on Groupon, Amazon, Ebay, etc and phone apps have completely inaccurate burns and I have always found machine readouts to be over-inflated by that amount (I've moved gyms a lot over the years).
  • sijomial
    Options

@tinkerbellang83

@sijomial

I didn't state the database specifically , I said depending on your method - a lot of cheaper wearables such as the ones available on Groupon, Amazon, Ebay, etc and phone apps have completely inaccurate burns and I have always found machine readouts to be over-inflated by that amount (I've moved gyms a lot over the years).

Interesting - I've never found any machine to double a reasonable estimate more like + 30% at most which is a long way from doubling.
    And some machines are the most accurate calorie estimates someone will get outside of a sports science lab.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dbabii11 wrote: »
    If my goal is 1500 calories per day and I’ve gotten to 1452 I’ve exercised and I have a remaining 300 something.... does that mean I have extra calories to eat?

yep... and exercise calories taste the best!! :laugh:
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

@tinkerbellang83

@sijomial

Interesting - I've never found any machine to double a reasonable estimate more like + 30% at most which is a long way from doubling.
    And some machines are the most accurate calorie estimates someone will get outside of a sports science lab.

30% is a big enough inaccuracy that when coupled with inaccurate logging (lets be honest there are not many people who start out weighing everything or picking the correct entries even) can lead to eating at maintenance, either way you'd know after a couple of weeks and be able to adjust accordingly.
  • sijomial
    Options

@tinkerbellang83

@sijomial

30% is a big enough inaccuracy that when coupled with inaccurate logging (lets be honest there are not many people who start out weighing everything or picking the correct entries even) can lead to eating at maintenance, either way you'd know after a couple of weeks and be able to adjust accordingly.

30% and 100% are miles apart which is my point. For a random 50% reduction to be sensible the AVERAGE over-estimate would have to be double. Seems a very, very dubious assumption.

But also if the inaccuracy is on the food logging predominately (has a much bigger impact) then adjusting that side of the equation makes more sense?
    Using what might be a sporadic under-estimate (exercise) to correct an every single day over-estimate (food) seems illogical to me.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited October 2017
    Options

@tinkerbellang83

@sijomial

30% and 100% are miles apart which is my point. For a random 50% reduction to be sensible the AVERAGE over-estimate would have to be double. Seems a very, very dubious assumption.

But also if the inaccuracy is on the food logging predominately (has a much bigger impact) then adjusting that side of the equation makes more sense?
    Using what might be a sporadic under-estimate (exercise) to correct an every single day over-estimate (food) seems illogical to me.

Granted I am speaking from my own experience but I've had machines in various gyms give me some ridiculous readings, for me it makes more sense than eating 100% of something that I don't know is accurate for 4 weeks. 50% in my opinion is an easy figure to calculate.

I eat 100% of mine back now, because I know my tracker is underestimating by 2% through tracking my data. I average about a 1000 calorie adjustment on active days (normally 5/7 days), if my tracker was 30% off that'd be an extra 300 calories per day I'd be eating which would pretty much wipe out my deficit.

If I was just starting out, I would rather risk losing a little more than expected over the first couple of weeks and adjusting my intake up, than not losing anything because I am over-eating and then having to adjust down and feeling like I have wasted a month in what is already going to be a long journey.