Stuck and not sure what to do anymore

Options
Hi, I started my weight loss journey about a year ago, and have since lost about 50 pounds. Thing is, my goal weight based on the BMI calculator is 145, for a 5'8 male. I am currently at 160. The issue here is that I've been down to 155-ish, and when I became that weight, people were telling me that I'm 'too skinny,' and some asked if I was feeling well. Some even started wondering if I became anorexic. Despite all that, I still had belly fat and my body fat percentage was around 16%.

Currently at 160 lbs, I don't get those comments. Instead I get compliments that I'm looking healthy and fit, etc. But just five pounds less, at 155, those compliments turn into comments of worry and concern.

Hence I am writing this to ask for your advice and opinions on what to do. I would try to reach my goal weight of 145, work hard, exercise and diet. But I'm just not sure if it's worth it if I'm going to end up 'looking sick' or 'too skinny' if I continue.

Is there a way I can keep my face just as I am now, and just lose the fat in my belly and those 'problem areas?' Because people only seem to comment based on the face. They can't see the fat under my clothes. I want to lose it so bad, and I want to work to lose it, but I just don't want those comments again.

All feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,099 Member
    Options
    People will say you are too thin because people has no idea what a healthy weight is. If you had stayed down there they would have gotten used to it, and stopped making comments. Also, if you don't lift weights you may want to consider it and look into body recomposition.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight you are already at a healthy BMI. So unless you want to lose for vanity reasons, you should be ok at 160.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Recomp. Eat at maintenance, do progressive strength training. You'll build muscle and lose fat. That fat will come off where it wants to though, it's pesky that way.

Second this. Lift heavy and maintain at 160.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thirded on the lifts. Seconded on the poster above who mentioned how people nowadays have no idea what a healthy weight looks like. I dropped down to BMI 18.75 intentionally last year for foot racing and people looked at me like I'd grown a second head.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    People will say you are too thin because people has no idea what a healthy weight is. If you had stayed down there they would have gotten used to it, and stopped making comments. Also, if you don't lift weights you may want to consider it and look into body recomposition.

I have noticed that people overweight are the ones saying I am too thin. Those that are a healthy weight are the ones saying I look fantastic. I don't think this is a coincidence because of what you just said.
  • Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Alright, so everyone is suggesting 'recomposition,' which I'm assuming is to do weight training and that's it? So no more cardio? And don't worry about getting under 160 anymore? Thanks. Just confirming.

Also, "At your height and weight you are already at a healthy BMI. So unless you want to lose for vanity reasons, you should be ok at 160."

- Yes, frankly, for vanity reasons, meaning I want to look as best as I can of course, I would try to lose more weight, but the 'too skinny' and concerned thoughts are impeding me from finding the motivation to do so because I have the thought of 'I'm doing this just to get criticized by people and called too skinny' in the back of my mind. But to answer your question, yes, I would like to lose more weight, possibly to 145. Maybe if I go down to that and then eat at maintenance and work on strength training, I'll develop the "full look" with low body fat.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The thing is, if you cut down to 145, at that point you would have to bulk back up to gain muscle. Recomping works best if you still have some fat to lose, so if you get very lean, the results won't be as significant and you may not develop that full look as much as you are hoping. To be honest, you will probably spin your wheels.
    So I would say you have a few options. You can recomp now.. eat at maintenance and focus on your training (I would recommend following an established lifting program for best results), you can definitely do cardio but just make sure you are fueling adequately to maintain and not affecting your lifting recovery.

The other option, you can cut down (while weight training) and then when you get to a desired leanness (I believe for males it is under 15% bf), you can eat a surplus and run a bulk.