Serial Restarter/Succeeded Once Before!

Options
I stopped using the forums and the counting and the support groups when I got down to 170. I counted calories and I had started running when I hit 245. I recall cutting calories to 1200 and being tired. I recall pushing through that and running 3 miles a night 4 times a week. I got to 170 and I felt really fit so I stopped. Over 3 years I gained 65lbs and I have made at least 3 posts promising to loose the weight again. I haven’t. I just keep getting frustrated with how slowly it’s gone. Tonight, I looked back at how long it took me to loose weight and apparently I would go an entire month and not loose a pound. Then I would loose several pounds within a few days. I’m hoping I can keep this together. I’m hoping I can reharness that focus and start going in the right direction, even if it’s slowly. So I’m looking for suggestions. I’m looking for people who are available to message and boards/inspiration when I have trouble staying focused. What support groups/individuals have been helpful when you’re in the middle of an intense craving? Any tips/suggestions!?!

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi there. I too, have been putting weight back on and promising to restart. I have regained about 20-22 pounds of the original 59 I lost. And HOLY CRAP... that just hit me. I've almost gained back half the weight I'd originally lost. I'm going to do my best to "show up" this next month and see what happens. It's 30 days... I've done it before, you've done it before. I think we both know it's commitment, it's mental and it's also hard. But... I'd like to believe we're both capable of doing it again. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • Lov3lif3
    Lov3lif3 Posts: 67 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm here too. I've been yoyo'ing for over a year, tried so many diets it's silly. Reducing calories makes sense to me and exercising to tone and keep fit does too. So.. now I need to start doing this again. I've got 6 stone to lose but I'm looking at a stone a time. Taking fortnightly measurements to track inch loss as it doesn't always show on the scales. Im Nikki by the way.

My first week back on.. Monday to Thursday I'll be sticking to 850 calories using a shake for Breakfast and lunch, a bar as a snack and fresh home made soup for dinner. I'll increase my calories to my 1800 allowance on Friday and Saturday and cut back again on Sunday to 850. I'm hoping that will kick start me.

It sounds like we could all do with motivation.
  • ObsessivelyObsessingObsessions
    Options
    Hi there. I too, have been putting weight back on and promising to restart. I have regained about 20-22 pounds of the original 59 I lost. And HOLY CRAP... that just hit me. I've almost gained back half the weight I'd originally lost. I'm going to do my best to "show up" this next month and see what happens. It's 30 days... I've done it before, you've done it before. I think we both know it's commitment, it's mental and it's also hard. But... I'd like to believe we're both capable of doing it again. Feel free to send me a friend request.

I couldn't agree more. I remember looking back on loosing weight and I remember counting calories and running, but I thought it went so much quicker than it apparently did. Here I am, several years later and I've gained almost all of it back. I kept telling myself I would stop it before it got further, but I never did. Partially because I was too depressed to realize what a mess it was all becoming. However, I'm really motivated and I have been for a week (typically I loose motivation by the weekend... kill me). I looked through my old weight counts and I was shocked that I had just gone so much slower than I imagined. I think it's because the scale wasn't always my focus. Eating different and being physically active was my focus. My clothing was another major focus. So I gained muscle as I lost weight and I didn't get discouraged when the scale didn't budge every single week by serious numbers. I would really like to get back to that headspace and see where I could be by the New Year.

I added you. I would love to have someone I can message when I start to want to eat!
    Options
    Lov3lif3 wrote: »
    I'm here too. I've been yoyo'ing for over a year, tried so many diets it's silly. Reducing calories makes sense to me and exercising to tone and keep fit does too. So.. now I need to start doing this again. I've got 6 stone to lose but I'm looking at a stone a time. Taking fortnightly measurements to track inch loss as it doesn't always show on the scales. Im Nikki by the way.

My first week back on.. Monday to Thursday I'll be sticking to 850 calories using a shake for Breakfast and lunch, a bar as a snack and fresh home made soup for dinner. I'll increase my calories to my 1800 allowance on Friday and Saturday and cut back again on Sunday to 850. I'm hoping that will kick start me.

It sounds like we could all do with motivation.

Nikki! I added you. I'm not familiar with the number system you're using, but I'm intrigued! You can private message me if you'd like? Also, what kind of shake are you doing?
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am a serial starter as well and I too have done this before. I could easily say I blame having a baby for it (yeah 3.5 years ago), but the fact is that I slowly gained every ounce of the weight I lose previously within 4-5 years of moving out of my home and in with my husband in a new state. ya know, comfort and eating meant weight gain and complacency. I've been saying I'm going to get fit again for the last few years and I'm really trying. Now I've been smoking as well (never smoked in my life, had a baby, started smoking about 2.5 years ago). I'm just trying to get back.

Original weight: 170 lbs
    Lost weight the first time: made it to 118 lbs.
    Gained weight: up to 160 lbs and lost 5 to 155 lbs pre-pregnancy.
    Went up to 190lbs during pregnancy 3.5 years ago
    current weight: 163 lbs
    Goal weight: 125-130 lbs

I'm 5'1" and 31 years old. it's really time to get it together and get healthy. This last year I've dealt with depression and anxiety that I never have before to this extent (or haven't since I was 16 prior to losing the weight) so now it's a battle to get healthy again, because a healthy body for me generally means a healthy life.

Good luck with your journey! Add me if you would like :-)
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I hope I can find this when I get home tonight. I've changed my name to Duncan, as in Duncan Yo'yo.
  • wolflady1972
    wolflady1972 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

<3 hi back on the wagon again.... don't have any support my friend is an enabler , constantly trying to out do .everything is competition. She hides her key to treadmill. She's so spiteful . I need friends to keep strong and focused..... HELP ;)
  • nomorewombat
    nomorewombat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    And don't forget it is LOSE, not loose.
    Options
    And don't forget it is LOSE, not loose.

Clearly a typo bro.
    Options
    craziedani wrote: »
    Hi there! I am a serial starter as well and I too have done this before. I could easily say I blame having a baby for it (yeah 3.5 years ago), but the fact is that I slowly gained every ounce of the weight I lose previously within 4-5 years of moving out of my home and in with my husband in a new state. ya know, comfort and eating meant weight gain and complacency. I've been saying I'm going to get fit again for the last few years and I'm really trying. Now I've been smoking as well (never smoked in my life, had a baby, started smoking about 2.5 years ago). I'm just trying to get back.

Original weight: 170 lbs
    Lost weight the first time: made it to 118 lbs.
    Gained weight: up to 160 lbs and lost 5 to 155 lbs pre-pregnancy.
    Went up to 190lbs during pregnancy 3.5 years ago
    current weight: 163 lbs
    Goal weight: 125-130 lbs

I'm 5'1" and 31 years old. it's really time to get it together and get healthy. This last year I've dealt with depression and anxiety that I never have before to this extent (or haven't since I was 16 prior to losing the weight) so now it's a battle to get healthy again, because a healthy body for me generally means a healthy life.

Good luck with your journey! Add me if you would like :-)

Your story totally speaks to me! I also moved to be with my boyfriend and wound up super depressed with anxiety. It made things so much more difficult. Then I kept gaining weight and I just couldn't stop. I would gain 5lbs and then freak out. Stay stagnant for months... then gain another 5lbs. I've literally lost my life... 5lbs at a time. I will be adding you and messaging you!
  • pthawkhilleman
    pthawkhilleman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is me as well. A couple of years ago saw a nutritionist she put me on 1500 calorie diet with exercise, I lost 40 lbs, then I got more jobs and more responsibilities and working very late and eating late. Now I am the heaviest I have ever been and its depressing....I started on my elliptical on Saturday and Sunday with crunches afterwards and stretching. Feeling better, but working on getting new job and took most of my day...need to get back on the elliptical tomorrow morning after breakfast....Lets all help each other.
    Options
    Zee48 wrote: »
    I hope I can find this when I get home tonight. I've changed my name to Duncan, as in Duncan Yo'yo.

Zee, you can click on the "star" at the top right hand side of the page. It will help you locate and save forum posts that are helpful or preferred. :smiley:
    Options
    <3 hi back on the wagon again.... don't have any support my friend is an enabler , constantly trying to out do .everything is competition. She hides her key to treadmill. She's so spiteful . I need friends to keep strong and focused..... HELP ;)

I've sent you a friend request! I am really sorry your "frenemy" is such a B! That's so not kind at all! I've never been in that sort of situation, but my boyfriend unravels my diet a lot. It's not his fault. He just has crap eating habits. He doesn't care if I loose weight but he's supportive of it if it's what I want... but it's so difficult when he wants desert or asks for me to make changes to a meal that ultimately makes a meal bad for us. I'll want to add in veggie substitutes and he'll typically chose bad changes/additions. For instance, he will say "this would be better with hash browns" UGH!
    Options
    This is me as well. A couple of years ago saw a nutritionist she put me on 1500 calorie diet with exercise, I lost 40 lbs, then I got more jobs and more responsibilities and working very late and eating late. Now I am the heaviest I have ever been and its depressing....I started on my elliptical on Saturday and Sunday with crunches afterwards and stretching. Feeling better, but working on getting new job and took most of my day...need to get back on the elliptical tomorrow morning after breakfast....Lets all help each other.

I sent you a friend request! I know I need to get the physical activity component down. I think the largest improvement I need right now is changing my eating habits. I have such a difficult time keeping it reigned in... I really need to dial it in and I think that by using the forums I will avoid making bad food decisions. Now that I don't feel a lot of pressure to make massive and quick weight loss happen, I think I have a fighting chance.