Need help with strength training at home

Options
I am unable to make it to a gym for lifting, but I would like to do some strength training in addition to the cardio I already do. Does anyone have suggestions for things I can do without gym machines? Thanks!!

Replies

• Yohli
    Yohli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels App is pretty good. You can customize the workouts. A mat and hand weights will suffice. She has a few demo workouts before you subscribe.
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah
    I have recently started training at home using a bar and some hand weights. I also was finding it difficult to attend the gym and I was using this as an excuse not to exercise. One of the other ladies on this site recommended a website called Fitness Blender. I enjoy these workouts a lot and I can do them all at a time that suits me and there are lots of different videos so you don't get fed up doing the same thing.
  • MagicJimmy
    MagicJimmy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think resistance bands are the way to go for home strength training if you don't have access to barbells and machines, especially for major muscle-group exercises like bench press, curls, squats. They replicate machine movements better than anything else and are very versatile without breaking the wallet.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have a:
    -set of adjustable dumbbells (up to 50 lb ea)
    -mat
    -set of bands
    -pull up bar
    -Swiss ball
    -flight of stairs (haha- it’s a basement)

And with this, I am able to get in a really good hard workout for not a lot of money. Currently doing Strong Curves (alternating with Bodyrock workouts). I do want more equipment, but I’ll get there.

Even with no weights, you can get a great workout doing push-ups, pull-ups, squats, lunges, and planks.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    A set of adjustable dumbbells (I like the PowerBlocks) and FitnessBlender.com
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yayog
    Al kavadlo
    Convict conditioning
    GMB fitness
    gymnastics bodies
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Yayog
    Al kavadlo
    Convict conditioning
    GMB fitness
    gymnastics bodies

For the uninitiated YAYOG=You are your own gym.

I second these recommendations and would add Pavel Tsatsouline's Naked Warrior.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I'd get a set of resistance bands that come with a door anchor. A really good set can be found for as low as $15.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of DB handles at Goodwill that accept 1" plates. They are much cheaper than the Powerblocks and infinitely adjustable. I've also bought some used fixed weight DB and a 60" bar I use for DL.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to spend a little money, a TRX or similar suspension system can be a great bang-for-the-buck investment.

The previously mentioned body weight routines are also excellent suggestions.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    For functional fitness have a look at sandbag workouts, for $100 bucks or less you can create some fantastic strength building and muscle endurance ( cardio) workouts, without needing a lot of storage space for the gear
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    If you're willing to spend a little money, a TRX or similar suspension system can be a great bang-for-the-buck investment.

lorrpb wrote: »
    I got a pair of DB handles at Goodwill that accept 1" plates. They are much cheaper than the Powerblocks and infinitely adjustable. I've also bought some used fixed weight DB and a 60" bar I use for DL.

See also Craigslist and Facebook/Freecycle
  • jagilmour
    jagilmour Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Can buy dumbells or kettlebells pretty cheap, and both are versatile, use them for upper body, kettlebell swings and holding them for squats are great compound movements working major muscle groups and both don't take up much space if storage is a problem.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

lorrpb wrote: »

See also Craigslist and Facebook/Freecycle

+1 for Craiglist and other regional markets for used home gym equipment.

I also put together a power rack and olympic barbell setup for home for well under $1000. Sounds like a lot for the uninitiated but it's totally worth it, and with a proper rack you can safely lift all by yourself with no spotter.
  • sarahcohee
    sarahcohee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the suggestions! I'm going to be checking these things out to see what works best for me. Thanks!!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Pushups and bodyweight squats.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    There are some video that I really like that use dumbbells. Do you like a mix if cardio and weights? Some good ones to try are (almost) anything from The Firm, Denise Austin 3week boot camp, Jillian Michaels 30 day shred/Ripped in 30 or shed and shred, Cathe Friedrich.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This is a great plan that you can do with home with dumbbells. https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
  • gpennref
    gpennref Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    YAYOG is good.
    TRX seems to be working well for me today. Best 150.00 I ever spent.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,423 Member
    Options
    I really like fitness blender as well & do them when I can't get to the gym