Bike Turbo Trainer...

Options
I have a lovely carbon fibre road bike, had it 2 years but been out on it three times. I feel very self conscious being a larger girl on a fabulous sleek road bike. As I continue to lose weight my thoughts are turning back to my bike. Ive ordered a turbo trainer to get myself moving on it. Feeling positive it will help with my fitness and eventually get me out and exploring my city. Has anybody used a turbo trainer or does anybody have advice for getting out of a cycling rut? Thanks.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I have used one but really only as a last resort when I can't outside or to a gym - I just find it very dull.

Sometimes when you are feeling self-conscious you just have to "fake it until you make it". As Nike say - just do it.
    I try to use my bikes for as many local trips as I can as well as going on longer rides for training or just for fun.

Cyclists are a friendly bunch and also come in all shapes and sizes. I was out this morning in cold and windy weather and was one of many guys in cycling tights. Let's face it - men in tights isn't a good look!
    But does it matter? No, not at all.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    good for you for having a plan. the one thing I learned about being around ironman athletes and Spartan participants is that they all come in different sizes. I mean the people. just do it go out for a ride around the block and the next time go further. it can be a lot of fun sorry I have no real info on turbo trainer

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=turbo+trainer+workouts+youtube&qpvt=turbo+trainer+workouts+youtube&FORM=VDRE
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Turbo trainers get the job done but they aren't much fun. Zwift and similar products help. What motivates me to ride is to pick a destination on the map and to ride to it. Often that destination is a café or one of the city's tourists traps.
  • forensicanthropology
    Options
    thanks guys. I was looking at Swift on you tube last night. I'll try the turbo trainer but I think Im just going to get out on the bike and explore.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I only started riding about two months ago and the biking community is one of the most welcoming I've experienced. I'm not comfortable enough to ride on my own and don't know if I ever will be but there are so many organized rides and most have different levels and are no drop. I'm not sure what area you are in but I would look into that. And like someone else mentioned cycling is all ages, all sizes.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I have the advice of Freddy Mercury late of the band Queen.

Get on your bike and ride.... You make the rockin' world go round.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have one...primarily for winter training when it's too dark in the morning or the afternoon to ride...not to mention the cold. I still ride outside on nicer weekend days though.

The trainer gets the job done, but it's not much fun...I don't have Zwift, but I do watch YouTube virtual training videos...some of them are like spin classes and some of them are like virtual group rides...they help at least.
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    A lot of cyclists/triathletes use them, especially those of us that deal with snowy winters. Some train on them exclusively as you can control your workouts. I've done up to 4.5 hours on one. My advice is using a program like Zwift or TrainerRoad and turning on Netflix.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'd get used to the trainer so you can use it in the off-season (if you have an off-season where you are) but my preference would definitely be to just get out and about.

Speaking of which, I'd strongly encourage you to get outside your city if you have decent backroad infrastructure. Quiet old-highway riding by myself is my favourite way to go.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have one that I use during the winter to keep my bike fitness up.

There are quite a number of free videos on youtube for interval rides and there DVD based programs like Spinervals which are very good (keep in mind that the intensity of the ride is completely up to you as you build your fitness)

One thing I found very handy (if you're using your tablet for the videos) is the Tacx tablet stand (mounts on your handlebars)

2005692_1.dtdbfketld.jpg

and a bike thong to keep sweat off your frame:

BikeThong1__65003.1425597499.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

and bike mat to keep sweat off your floor / carpet....

TR308D09.jpg

• olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I also intend on getting a trainer to just get more "on the bike" experience when weather goes crappy here in a few days. I'm also really intimidated on my bike. I'm certain it just must be more experience needed but I don't have a lot of sort of open, easy rides to get that experience. I'm also traumatized by two flats in my first couple rides so now I'm paranoid! lol
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    olive1968 wrote: »
    I also intend on getting a trainer to just get more "on the bike" experience when weather goes crappy here in a few days. I'm also really intimidated on my bike. I'm certain it just must be more experience needed but I don't have a lot of sort of open, easy rides to get that experience. I'm also traumatized by two flats in my first couple rides so now I'm paranoid! lol

One of my biggest concerns is getting a flat. Were you able to fix them on your own? I've taken two classes and with the help of youtube I could probably do it but I know in my area there is mobile bike help if I need it and AAA if you are a member. Just peace of mind because from what I've witnessed other cyclist will always offer to help you.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    IMO every cyclist should learn how to change a flat on the roadside. I forced myself to do two changes at home first (cursing wildly, especially the first time) but I figured it out and the time I finally did get a puncture in between cities it was a huge help. Had it all fixed in under ten minutes.

I always carry a spare tube, levers, CO2 inflator and cartridges.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have two indoor trainers (one "Smart", i.e. computer controlled for Zwift and TrainerRoad, and one a regular dumb fluid trainer) plus two sets of rollers (agian, one "Smart" and one "dumb") so it's pretty safe to say I'm an advocate for indoor training. I use indoor trainers 52 weeks of the year. For many types of workouts they are better than riding outdoors. It's a more controlled experience since you don't have to deal with hills, stoplights, cars, stray dogs/moose/antelope/alligators or whatever other wildlife might be common to your area.

That said, my usual tips for indoor trainers are as follows:
    1. Get a BIG fan. You WILL generate heat and sweat puddles. The fan will help, but you'll sweat puddles anyway. Get a bigger fan than you think you need.
    2. Get some kind of mat for under your trainer, preferably something that won't absorb sweat. This is particularly true if your trainer is on carpet since you WILL stain the carpet otherwise.
    3. Treat trainer sessions like gym sessions. By that I mean go into it with a plan, execute the plan, and get off. I don't recommend trying to "just ride" the trainer. Most people figure "I'll just get on the trainer and ride while I watch <insert TV show, sports event, or movie here>". It won't happen. You'll do it once, maybe twice, realize it's soul-crushingly boring, and never do it again.
    4. I strongly, strongly recommend using a service like TrainerRoad or Zwift. With TrainerRoad, pick a training plan and you'll have the workouts read for you. With Zwift, either use workouts or events (group rides, races, whatever). The point is, have a plan as to what you're going to do before you get on the bike. The trainer ideally should be used for maximizing your time, and that usually means a structured workout of some sort. It doesn't have to be a hard one, but it should have some structure.
    5. See item 1.
    6. If you can get a place for your trainer so that you can set it up, put your bike on it, and leave it there it will help. Whatever you can do to reduce "friction" for getting on the bike is a plus. The easier it is to get on and start pedaling the better.
  • resale3108
    resale3108 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a lovely carbon fibre road bike, had it 2 years but been out on it three times. I feel very self conscious being a larger girl on a fabulous sleek road bike. As I continue to lose weight my thoughts are turning back to my bike. Ive ordered a turbo trainer to get myself moving on it. Feeling positive it will help with my fitness and eventually get me out and exploring my city. Has anybody used a turbo trainer or does anybody have advice for getting out of a cycling rut? Thanks.

Just found this; get out on the bike! I love cycling, any cyclist that gives you a hard time for actually getting out there is an ar53h01e who thinks they should be in Team Sky, or Trek or whoever - BUT THEY ARENT! they are the very small minority As for the rest of us, we only care that you are out riding cos it’s magic fun. Go for it!
    As for turbos, I have one and beast myself on it- they have their uses, good for targeted training and/or when weather is rotten. I would submit that a bike is, however, a mode of transport, developed in so many ways since first invented some two centuries ago, to get you from A to B, or from A back to A, from the top of a hill to the bottom, or vice verse, either quickly as you can or slowly as you feel, in company or not, but in any case it gets you out into the air!
    Get out and ride!
    I would refer you all to The Velomenati - the rules of cycling, especially Rules 5 and 9 — http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/