Is it true that tilapia has no nutritional value?

My dad says if I'm interested in improving my health I shouldn't be eating tilapia. He said, "It has no nutritional value." Is that true?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    imanibelle wrote: »
    My dad says if I'm interested in improving my health I shouldn't be eating tilapia. He said, "It has no nutritional value." Is that true?

That's...weird. Did he ever say why just tilapia in particular as opposed to all fish?
  • imanibelle
    imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
    Tilapia is the main fish I eat these days. I like it better than whiting, which I used to eat. My dad was telling me I eat nothing but biscuits and carbs and that I don't eat real food or cook and that he's concerned. I assured him that just because I have biscuits or bread in the mornings doesnt mean I just eat carbs. I was holding some baked tilapia I was about to eat and let him see it and he said it has no nutritional value. I told him I'd never heard that before.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    I think the bad name for Tilapia is that it is farmed in less than desirable conditions in countries like China where water pollution and banned chemicals are not up to U.S. standards. Here is a good article from Snopes. https://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/tilapia.asp "Overall, Chinese tilapia gets a moderate overall score of 5.34 out of ten." Personally I don't eat it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited October 2017
    In Australia it's banned from sale and if you catch one you're not allowed to throw it back because it's a pest.

However, it has a very standard nutritional profile for a variety of white fish and in areas where it is sold for food, it appears to be pretty inoffensive and popular.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Wait for it....
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Yeah, I’ve heard that too.

I always though give em a meaty piece of halibut or swordfish, something to bridge that gap btwn a sirloin and a fish
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I've only had it once and I don't know if I was just unlucky but it tasted like mud. I'd think haddock or cod more palatable for non fish eaters, cod is what is typically used in fish fingers and who doesn't love a fish finger?!

But if you like it have at it. All food, with the possible exception of alcohol depending on your viewpoint, has some nutritional value, even if it's just calories.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm cooking 3 tilapia filets (10 oz) tonight for dinner.

The generic USDA listing for this on MFP for this is 272 cals, 57g protein, no carbs and 4.8g fat.

It has all the nutritional content that I want and need.

BTW, I eat alk kinds of fish & seafood and tilapia is not a lesser choice. It is hiwever cheaper than salmon and other choices.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017
    MilesAddie wrote: »
    I thought I would agree with your Dad, but after a 5 minute google search, it appears Tilapia is pretty much equal to a lot of other white fish - flounder, fluke, cod, plaice, haddock. It does not have the Omega fatty acids of Salmon, Mackeral, and to a lesser extent halibut and other game fish. But few foods do...

Like any fish, pay attention to where it’s harvested. Interesting side note - Most Tilapia that is farmed in America, and the biggest supplier to Whole Foods, is the American Prison system....

On a personal note, with all the delicious fish swimming in the streams, rivers, ponds, and oceans would you EVER want to eat Tilapia? It’s almost always flavorless, and when it does taste like something it’s usually mud. I think it has a terrible mushy texture, and you can never get it fresh... Now Striped Bass, Hamachi, In season wild salmon, I could go on and on... Maybe I’ll start a thread...

I always had the impression that it's the fish of choice for people who don't really like fish.

This is what I tend to notice too.

It's okay in a pinch, I suppose, but I like it less than most other fish, and I really love most kinds of fish.

Nutritionally, though, it's fine, it's whitefish.
  • imanibelle
    imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
    Thanks for the replies.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited October 2017
    I've only had it once and I don't know if I was just unlucky but it tasted like mud. I'd think haddock or cod more palatable for non fish eaters, cod is what is typically used in fish fingers and who doesn't love a fish finger?!

But if you like it have at it. All food, with the possible exception of alcohol depending on your viewpoint, has some nutritional value, even if it's just calories.

My sentiments exactly. I'm sure it has nutritional value, as do all fish and other seafoods. However, I think it is really the most unpalatable fish I've ever eaten. Some fish farms have been found to use the tilapia as "cleaners" to eat the excrement of other fish after the more expensive fish are harvested or released into streams and rivers. While this practice is frowned upon in most countries, I expect it happens often enough and some of those fish enter the human food chain. I just don't want to risk eating poop fish, especially since I don't like it anyway. (Sorry if tilapia is your favorite.)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am NOT a fish person but the one time I tried it I found it tasteless and tough. I’ll take halibut or cod first.

Nevertheless, no matter the taste, it’s a great source for protein.