Help...

Options
Christyg1964
Christyg1964 Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2017 in Introduce Yourself
So I'm not new to this but I haven't been on here for a couple years. About 2 months ago I was in a bad car wreck resulting in a open compound tib-fib right leg break. I lost 15 lbs in the hospital/ rehab but I had to have knee surgery on my other leg a couple weeks ago, I need to lose 85 lbs. I started physical therapy but it's very slow and painful, dragging me down quickly. I know there is light at the end of the tunnel, but food keeps bandaiding the pain. I need to lose this weight. It is crucial in order to help with my recovery.
Any support or positive words of encouragement would be so appreciated. I know this is a long post but feeling so lost right now. Thank you for listening.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What if you stopped thinking that food helps with the pain? And aim to eat just enough, not too much? You can still eat food you like. Planning and prioritizing and waiting to eat until you're hungry, might even lead to a greater appreciation for and enjoyment of food.
  • Christyg1964
    Christyg1964 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Thank you for the ideas, I really appreciate it. I do good for 2-3 days then it all goes off the rails. I will give it a shot, look at food as fuel not a crutch.
    Thank you again, I really appreciate it.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My exercise is mainly walking (I'm in PT for messed up arm/shoulder), anyway, having lost 14 pounds I can already feel a big difference on my knees, maybe think about an eating plan as something that can heal you much faster rather than as deprivation-

"Every pound of excess weight exerts about 4 pounds of extra pressure on the knees. So a person who is 10 pounds overweight has 40 pounds of extra pressure on his knees; if a person is 100 pounds overweight, that is 400 pounds of extra pressure on his knees."

I'm very sorry for what you've gone through and the pain of having rehab, but at 60, I've learned to be grateful (been though a lot in my life) I'd probably try hard to think....

I'm lucky I survived that horrible crash
    hey, I still have legs that will work!
    Yep, this totally sucks right now but it won't suck forever
    I can do this today -we only really have today after all....
    I could be in Puerto Rico having only a few granola bars to share with my entire family and no appropriate medical care- so horrible there

So, I certainly don't mean to make light of your situation but you asked for support! Perception is everything-
    Turn it around-what are you grateful for???
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You can do this Chrissy I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Take one day at a time log all your food and drinks I wish you very best of luck and a full recovery
  • jdarn001
    jdarn001 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It is hard at times not to eat first and consider the calories or results after. I mess this up myself on days. What I have found that helps, is to try and enter what I am considering eating in to MFP first. This helps keep me on track. If I want something to munch on I go for like monster dill pickles. Almost no calories but filling. I hope you recover well, and maybe it will help if you approach eating and recovery both as a process, so that you don't feel like you are climbing a mountain, but taking each meaningful step. Good luck
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your accident. I wish you a speedy recovery from it all.

In the meantime, try to develop another coping mechanism. Food isn't helping your pain at all, so work to change that behavior and find something else to distract/comfort yourself during those times. Journal, crochet, draw, read, build models, do jigsaw puzzles... something else to not only occupy your hands, but your mind. While you're reprograming yourself, you might even make notes about what you are feeling at that moment that is triggering it. It will force you to pause and be more mindful about your moods and triggers. It will take time, but can be done (I did this when I quit smoking)

You've got this :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    do good for 2-3 days then it all goes off the rails
    "Do good" is usually "diet talk" for "deprivation". Don't undereat (hit your calorie goal), eat a varied and balanced diet (food from all the food groups every day), and food you like (no foods or treats are off limits).

And to
    look at food as fuel
    is not the solution. You HAVE TO get pleasure from what you eat. When you try to deny yourself that, that's when you start to overeat.