Weight Loss Surgery, low carb...any thoughts?

Options
Ok...I'm 44 y/o man. 5'9" 278#. I think my goal weight is around 175. I've always been kinda big boned....but I remember when I was 175 and it seemed like it was about right. My question - I've been eating low carb - and it just doesn't make me feel very good. I go to the gym 5-6 times per week. Usually ride bike for 15-30 mins and then strength train for 20-30 mins. I've been going to the gym for about 2 solid months now (and I like it). But weight hasn't changed much. My wife has suggested weight loss surgery but I think there are more cons than pros with that. Thoughts?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have you tried just eating in a deficit?

this is about sustainable lifestyle changes, if you don't like low carb, then you wont stick to it.
  • avocadochampagne
    avocadochampagne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try eating at least at a 200-300 cal deficit apart from training. Or - if you really like carbs, look into a high carb low fat vegan diet. It actually worked for me as 4years ago I managed to drop 55pounds just by changing my diet, without any exercise at all.
  • AusManok74
    AusManok74 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar position to you, at 42 I started weight training and eating a lower carb diet. I know there are others who will say you need a specific diet, but for me it was just a consistent calorie deficit and I lost about 80lbs. It took about a year but I think it's a safer, healthier and cheaper option than surgery. Good luck whatever you decide though.
  • mtbusse73
    mtbusse73 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit this but I think i've been misinformed. I was told on the low carb I could eat as much "low carb" stuff that I wanted. Which I never could understand how that was possible....because it isn't!
  • kalyandc
    kalyandc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want as long as it is within the daily calorie limit. For instance I like high carb diet so i spend most of calories on carbs but i make sure i eat the MINIMUM required amounts of protein and fat. That way I eat what i love while meeting my macro requirements. I found this diet is much easier to maintain than perfectly balanced diet!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    mtbusse73 wrote: »
    I hate to admit this but I think i've been misinformed. I was told on the low carb I could eat as much "low carb" stuff that I wanted. Which I never could understand how that was possible....because it isn't!

Yeah, do low carb if you want, but you still need to track calories - totally possible to overeat on low carb. I did low carb while I was losing but still tracked my calories.

Calories are king.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    mtbusse73 wrote: »

There's a grain of truth to it, generally, but I'm certain it was poorly explained. When they're in ketosis, which is very considerably low carb, most people have a very substantially suppressed appetite. Many of them take pains to get up to their calorie goal, rather than having to try to limit themselves to it.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Have you tried straight up counting calories?
  • joannabanana8
    joannabanana8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you cannot do it for the rest of your life, dont do it. I was contemplating a low carb diet but I know I dont sustain it. Remember, this is a lifestyle change. Don't make it too complicated. Portion control and moving around is key. Good luck!
  • 1974jess
    1974jess Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Definitely don’t do the weight-loss surgery. My mother-in-law died early because of it instantly takes away 10 years of your life because you are forcing your body to malnourish She started having kidney problems because she had to take vitamins which caused stones which ripped up her kidneys she started having equilibrium issues because of her low weight it’s definitely not worth it it’s better to be healthy. I’m trying something new I’m not worrying so much what foods I’m eating as long as they’re not packaged which means a lot of fruits and vegetables and light garnishing’s of meat usually 4 to 6 ounces and maybe only three times a week
  • mtbusse73
    mtbusse73 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1974jess wrote: »
    Definitely don’t do the weight-loss surgery. My mother-in-law died early because of it instantly takes away 10 years of your life because you are forcing your body to malnourish She started having kidney problems because she had to take vitamins which caused stones which ripped up her kidneys she started having equilibrium issues because of her low weight it’s definitely not worth it it’s better to be healthy. I’m trying something new I’m not worrying so much what foods I’m eating as long as they’re not packaged which means a lot of fruits and vegetables and light garnishing’s of meat usually 4 to 6 ounces and maybe only three times a week

I'm DEFINITELY not doing the surgery now. I've been reading a lot about it and listening to folks on here. I think the surgery does have some pros but has way more cons. I've been going to the gym a min of 5 times/week for the past 3 or 4 months. My joints are feeling better, I'm getting stronger. I can ride the bike longer. Only problem is that even with the gym wasn't losing any weight. However I was counting calories - I was just eating/drinking whatever I want. Been counting cals now for about 10 days and have lost couple of pounds. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat - just as long as I burn more than I eat. A calorie deficit I believe it's called.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've had many a friend/family member get some form of bariatric and I can tell you it's not all it's cracked up to be. Obesity and food addiction run in my family and I have a big family (pun not intended). 3 cousins, 1 family friend, 4 aunts and 2 uncles have all gotten some form of it. some are starting to gain the weight back, a couple have almost died, one is skeletal right now and regrets all of it, and 2 success stories. Try to lose it naturally if you can, in fact, before getting the surgery doctors always require patients to lose a few lbs...yeah, I know it's weird- If you can lose a few lbs on your own, then why even bother having the surgery?! Also, low carb might not be for you. My husband does better with high carb, I'm better with low carb. And there's a million other ways to do things. But whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!! NEVER GIVE UP!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you've started to make progress in a way which is suiting you. Low carb or lower carb is a good idea for many but as you found freely eating these foods oftens not helpful. If you return to the idea of lowering your carbs, if you look to the number MFP suggests for you and then aim to be a little under the number they give you and see what happens and lower again if you think its food for you.
  • jdarn001
    jdarn001 Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If what you are doing now is working great! If you are though still looking for advice mine would be this. I made an appointment to see a dietitian, got a good bit of education on how to loose weight from him. I followed through on the plan using myfitnesspal App. The advice I got from the dietitian was track my calories for a week and the reduce my intake by 500 calories per day. That will result in about a pound a week weight loss. This if done without cheating works. My starting weight was 243 in Feb of 2015, I currently weigh 146 pounds. I have been in the 140s for months now and keep using MFP to ensure I don't overeat and start gaining again. My plan was always slow and steady weight-loss. Good luck you can do this just stick to it. A dietitian is a wise place to start!
  • himenaya
    himenaya Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    OP I think it's just a matter of counting your cals in all honesty. I mean, you're able to go to the gym and watch what you eat, I don't think the surgery is necessary. The weight can be lost. Low carb has worked for me, but you HAVE to watch the calories. Stay within your number and in a few weeks you are gonna notice a difference. :)