Burning lots of calories in Fitbit Charge 2

Options
Just upgraded to a Fitbit Charge 2. I’ve heard on Reddit other users complained that the steps and calories were over counted and the heart rate was off. I have a hard time believing that my grocery shopping trip and my 50 minute run/ 20 minute walk really burned nearly 2000 calories. My old Fitbit would never have given me this many calories. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also should I eat those calories back? It’s almost midnight and I’m
Not hungry. I’m trying to just count only 1/3 of the calories that were claimed burned, but it’s still too many to eat back.

Replies

• IAmWonderWomanTo7
    IAmWonderWomanTo7 Posts: 14 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yes! Some activities just doesn't seem right, like way too many calories. And there are moments when I'm running that I don't see my heart rate and when it does come back it goes it'll jump from 156 to 90 to 115 its all weird.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Yes! Some activities just doesn't seem right, like way too many calories. And there are moments when I'm running that I don't see my heart rate and when it does come back it goes it'll jump from 156 to 90 to 115 its all weird.
    I know it’s just too weird. I wanted the ionic but I think after this warranty expires in a couple of years, I’m going to have to move on to a better fitness tracker.

I was reading a subreddit and people were complaining that the calories were so off they gained weight while wearing the fitbit. When they stopped wearing it for a while they lost weight. I did the same for two weeks (when I sent the watch back to the warranty company) and I lost 3 pounds.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Was your prior device HR-based?

Because it spends a couple weeks (and perhaps new model it does anyway) trying to figure out that line between step-based calorie burn for daily activity which is most accurate, and HR-based for exercise which depends on the workout type for accuracy.

And even for the exercise, historical info on amounts of exercise help increase those accuracy estimates.

Also, did you have a manually set stride length prior that has been reset to default - and that's wrong - allowing for inflated daily calories?

And usually the HR accuracy is on the side of missing beats, not getting extra - so opposite problem there when HR goes high. Or it flat out misses the HR, so again the problem of lower than true avgHR being seen.

Unless I know someone was weighing their food, and correctly took into account proper and incorrect usage for HR-based calorie burn - other people's experiences aren't that useful - most people rarely have the knowledge to change 1 variable at a time.

For instance - HR-based calorie burn will inflate anything outside what the formula was meant for - aerobic zone steady-state same HR for 2-4 min.
    Lifting, intervals, aerobics classes, anything with HR going up and down - are inflated calorie burns.

If a step based exercise being done - a step-based device not fooled by that - HR-based device is.
  • tracylp6178
    tracylp6178 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Anyone notice their Fitbit miles vs treadmill miles being way off? I do 5 miles on the treadmill and my Fitbit only says 3 1/2. I've tried adjusting my stride but didn't help at all.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Just upgraded to a Fitbit Charge 2. I’ve heard on Reddit other users complained that the steps and calories were over counted and the heart rate was off. I have a hard time believing that my grocery shopping trip and my 50 minute run/ 20 minute walk really burned nearly 2000 calories. My old Fitbit would never have given me this many calories. Has anyone else had this issue?

Not hungry. I’m trying to just count only 1/3 of the calories that were claimed burned, but it’s still too many to eat back.

So it's midnight, and your Fitbit says you burned 2000 calories for the day? I don't know your stats, but based on your activity I don't see why 2000 would be an unreasonable TDEE.
    I also have a Charge 2 and it seems pretty accurate. For me it under estimates more often than not. I usually burn 2000 on a rest day.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options

So it's midnight, and your Fitbit says you burned 2000 calories for the day? I don't know your stats, but based on your activity I don't see why 2000 would be an unreasonable TDEE.
    I also have a Charge 2 and it seems pretty accurate. For me it under estimates more often than not. I usually burn 2000 on a rest day.

Because in the past similar activity would only cause me to burn maximum 798 calories, not 1700+. My Fitbit entire calories burned for the day is 4272.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I've had to put it on my nondominant hand and tell it that it's the dominant one. It helped a LOT
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Anyone notice their Fitbit miles vs treadmill miles being way off? I do 5 miles on the treadmill and my Fitbit only says 3 1/2. I've tried adjusting my stride but didn't help at all.

My Fitbits (Charge HR and then Charge HR 2) consistently credit me with fewer miles than the treadmill and my GPS runtracker app, but I've never messed with it because it seems to give me the right amount of calories burnt (as indicated by my long-term results) and that's what I'm really concerned with.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Because in the past similar activity would only cause me to burn maximum 798 calories, not 1700+. My Fitbit entire calories burned for the day is 4272.

Is this your first few days using it? Some people find it takes a few days for the Fitbit to "adjust" to them and give more accurate calorie estimates.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options

Is this your first few days using it? Some people find it takes a few days for the Fitbit to "adjust" to them and give more accurate calorie estimates.

Also check that the time zones are the same for both MFP and Fitbit; if they are off, that can cause a large discrepancy.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Is that for walking or running?

Running can be adjusted to meet pretty well (unless you get on different treadmills at gym that are traditionally not annually calibrated as they should be).

But walking frankly you do NOT want your stride length set for exercise level pace - because how many hours and calories of the day is that correct? So if it's off by 5% calories for that short time, but correct calories for 95% of your day, doesn't matter.

The device dynamically adjusted for each step based on expected impact and seen impact, if your stride length is set for the middle of your paces (closer to majority of pace), then it can adjust from grocery store shuffle to exercise level pace with accuracy falling off on either side of range. But start at exercise level, it'll be way off as it's estimating the lower end.

Now - your amount seen / done is a big difference, unless it was running. And treadmill where it wasn't accurate either.

Might try a high school track of 800m (if converted) or 1/2 mile (2640 ft) if you can tell the lines for it.