Water bottled or refillable bottle?

Options
Do you feel as though you drink more water if you are drinking bottled water or refillable bottles? I have recently switched to refillable bottles and got a 5 gallon water dispenser, and I feel like I am drinking a lot more...which is great. But I am curious what others do to help you stay on top of you water consumption. Sometimes its a chore to drink water. :/

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I only drink to thirst, so it doesn't feel like a chore. But I hate the idea of paying for bottled water, so I'm always drinking either from a cup (at home, where I have a under-sink water filter) or a refillable bottle (at work).
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the taste of the tap water at work and don't want to carry water to work, just get one of those bottles with the built in filters.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I drink from a refillable bottle just because it's cheaper and more convenient... but I do think there is something psychological (for me) about smartwater, because I'll usually drink that if it's in the house, even if I wouldn't drink otherwise.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I buy a large bottled water then I keep refilling it till the bottle tastes like crap then I recycle it and start all over again.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I only drink when I'm thirsty.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    Refillable bottle - no question - just think of the environment!

I agree! I think I'd drink about the same either way.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have a had plastic cup with a lid and straw that I always have with me. It's 24oz, I aim to drink three each day but usually manage more. It definitely helps.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the taste of the tap water at work and don't want to carry water to work, just get one of those bottles with the built in filters.

I got a fairly expensive ($30) one of these last year and ended up disliking it. The filter takes up so much room that there isn't actually all that much to drink in there, plus the process is slow. I didn't find it convenient or useful. A Brita pitcher in the fridge or on the counter, and a regular bottle, would be better.
  • jcstevens86
    jcstevens86 Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Bottled water or gallon jugs...i dont refill
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Refillable.
    I have a gallon Britta water filter pitcher at home, and keep a 6(? not sure the amount may be 8 cup) in the refrigerator at work. Dislike paying for bottled water and dislike the environmental issues with bottle water.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Not to blatantly advertise, but I use this bottle - not only is it good quality but it also makes sure I have enough water throughout the day. I've been using mine for a year now I think? Religiously Monday to Friday, weekends are harder because I'm out and about. But yeah. Love mine!!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I only drink to thirst, so it doesn't feel like a chore. But I hate the idea of paying for bottled water, so I'm always drinking either from a cup (at home, where I have a under-sink water filter) or a refillable bottle (at work).

ditto.

More importantly, I'm also not willing to haul water home like I live in a 3rd world country or disaster area. The idea of doing that just seems so stupid to me when we have the convenience of indoor plumbing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'd drink about the same either way with the difference being that if I drank bottled water, it would be extremely wasteful given the amount of water I drink...not to mention, expensive.

I drink bottled water on occasion if I'm out and about and don't have any other options.
  • _AshLynn
    _AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I aim to drink about a gallon of water in a day. Sometimes I make it and sometimes I am just under, but I feel like if I left it up to thirst I would not be appropriately hydrated at all. I'm just never thirsty.

I've also researched briefly different things about hunger/thirst in your body, which can be confused. But I haven't investigated that too much.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    ditto.

More importantly, I'm also not willing to haul water home like I live in a 3rd world country or disaster area. The idea of doing that just seems so stupid to me when we have the convenience of indoor plumbing.

I'd rather use a Brita filter but my OH prefers his system of filling jugs from the place down the street where it is $0.25 per gallon, so that's what we do. @janejellyroll I could probably sell him on an under-sink water filter though - what kind do you use and do you remember what the cost was? @ritzvin couldn't tell from your post if you have an under-sink water filter too.

He refills regular gallon water jugs; I bought four HDPE Plastic Jugs for me after reading What You Need To Know Before You Reuse That Plastic Water Bottle (I was already uncomfortable about using regular water bottles over and over and over.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    Not to blatantly advertise, but I use this bottle - not only is it good quality but it also makes sure I have enough water throughout the day. I've been using mine for a year now I think? Religiously Monday to Friday, weekends are harder because I'm out and about. But yeah. Love mine!!

That's a neat idea - thanks for sharing! I might get one for my OH, who drinks straight water. (I get most of my fluid from tea.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Refillable. We have a filter in the fridge at home, and I have a Brita at work.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    refill!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Refillable. I prefer not to do my part in killing the environment.