How do you set/configure your macros?

Options
I heard that Macros are the best way to track what you eat for weight loss. But I dont know how I should set my macros for my weight loss goals? I think I would want to decrease my carbs and increase my fat but I'm just making that up based on low car diets like kido, I dont actually know what would be right for me. Also if I use macros should I ignore the calories?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Many people find that calories are the best way to track what they eat for weight loss, but some people find macros useful for tracking nutrition (or determining how to choose foods for satiety).

You can lose weight on any macro distribution, you just have to be at a calorie deficit (this doesn't mean that you'd be healthy or happy at any macro distribution, of course).

Like many people, I began with MFP's default macros and then made some adjustments once I was able to observe what worked best for me.

If your macros are based on your calorie goals, tracking your macros will result in you hitting your calorie goal (this is because fat has a certain amount of calories per gram, which is different from carbohydrates, which is different from protein). So if you're hitting your macro goals, you'll automatically be consuming the same amount of calories each day.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    You heard wrong. Calories are the best way to track what you eat for weight loss.

Macros are more about athletic performance, body composition, and personal preference/satiety.

So basically, set your calories relative to your weight loss goals.
    Set your macros relative to your performance, body comp, and personal preference.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what drives weightloss, so you should definitely not ignore calories. A good macro split should make it easier to stick to your alotted calories. It's not better. It's more detailed. You can set macros any way you like. If you like the way you're eating now, don't mess with it. What is right for you, is a diet you like to eat, that makes you feel happy and energized, that provides you with an appropriate calorie deficit, and is easy to stick to.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Calories are the best way to lose weight. Once you get your calories under control you can tweak your macros to try to decrease hunger, but honestly, I don't bother. I use default macros and only pay attention to them if I'm starving. If I'm starving, it's usually because that day I ate super high fat and not much else.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I believe firmly after trying numerous ways to lose weight that tracking overall calories, ie. CICO, is the best and possibly only way to lose weight. Some people find low carb high fat or high protein diets more to their liking, but in the end having a deficit of calories at the end of the day/week is the only real way to lose weight. Personally I like carbs much more than I like protein, so it is not for me. CICO works. Enter your STATs and let MFP calculate the number of calories you should be eating. Most people choose 1 lb. per week which is a deficit of 500 calories per day.
  • jreyes7522
    jreyes7522 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Adjusting your macros is determined by your goal and body type.
  • superluvjo
    superluvjo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    jreyes7522 wrote: »

I'd say I have an average body type, I'm 5'3" little over weight and I'm "lightly" active, what does that determine for my macros?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    superluvjo wrote: »
    jreyes7522 wrote: »

I'd say I have an average body type, I'm 5'3" little over weight and I'm "lightly" active, what does that determine for my macros?

Absolutely nothing.

I lost 60+ pounds using the MFP default percentages for macros. You can play around with them to meet your satiety levels, but ultimately weight loss comes from your calorie deficit.