Weight loss help with depression

Options
My motivation is at n all time low. With 13 hour shifts. Commuting. Running a house and depression I can’t get in the mind set

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Start small and form habits, when something becomes habit you don't need motivation, you just do it.

If you have a busy work life, meal prepping can be helpful, you need to put an hour or two aside for it on your day off but being able to come home after along shift and have something ready certainly makes it worth it. I usually make 5 lunches (soup/pasta/salad/wraps,etc) and a crockpot/batch cook recipe that can be frozen and defrosted/reheated as required. I usually have 1-2 portions of other recipes from previous weeks so i don't get bored eating the same thing all week. I also have a basket of pre-weighed or pre-packaged snacks - nuts, popcorn, pickles, protein bars, etc.

Have you sought treatment for your depression?
  • katherineleggett
    katherineleggett Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Start small and form habits, when something becomes habit you don't need motivation, you just do it.

If you have a busy work life, meal prepping can be helpful, you need to put an hour or two aside for it on your day off but being able to come home after along shift and have something ready certainly makes it worth it. I usually make 5 lunches (soup/pasta/salad/wraps,etc) and a crockpot/batch cook recipe that can be frozen and defrosted/reheated as required. I usually have 1-2 portions of other recipes from previous weeks so i don't get bored eating the same thing all week. I also have a basket of pre-weighed or pre-packaged snacks - nuts, popcorn, pickles, protein bars, etc.

That sounds great. I do try to do this it’s trying to get inspiration for nice food that won’t feel like ‘diet food’ I’m terrible for getting home and ordering a takeaway.

Yeah I’m on the other side of the illness now. Trying to change the bad habits I’ve made over the past year
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Try to steer your focus away from weightloss (something you can't directly control) to a better diet, possibly also better sleep and some exercise (something you can control). Cooking lets you indeed eat nice food - healthy, cheap and tasty. But you need to plan and schedule. Balance your meals, aim for variety, eat food you like, portion out appropriate amounts, and stick to meals. If you combine this with going to bed at a sensible hour and getting some exercise every day, you're on your way to better routines, which in fact can improve your mood.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited October 2017
    Options

That sounds great. I do try to do this it’s trying to get inspiration for nice food that won’t feel like ‘diet food’ I’m terrible for getting home and ordering a takeaway.

Yeah I’m on the other side of the illness now. Trying to change the bad habits I’ve made over the past year

Glad to hear you're getting through it.

Just eat food that you like and try to incorporate it into your allowance to start with, it might mean slightly smaller portions than you are used to and bulking out with veg to fill you more or substituting an ingredient here or there, but it doesn't have to be "diet food".

When I started out I got some second hand recipe books off amazon "Comfort Food: Without the Calories" and "Quick & Easy: Without the Calories", Pinterest also has loads of great fakeaway ideas.

Some of my favourites for dinner are:
    • Thai Green Chicken Curry
    • Beef Strogonoff
    • Garlic Chicken
    • Greek Style Lamb Meatballs
    • Falafel
    • Salmon Fishcakes
    • Slow Cooked Pulled Pork
    • Beef Stew
    • Taco Bowls

Most of them can be reheated in the microwave in a couple of mins and served with microwave rice/steamed veg if you want something really quick. The rest can be cooked in 10-20 mins.

I try to include much more fruit and veg than I did in my diet but as a whole it hasn't changed drastically.

• katherineleggett
    Options

Just eat food that you like and try to incorporate it into your allowance to start with, it might mean slightly smaller portions than you are used to and bulking out with veg to fill you more or substituting an ingredient here or there, but it doesn't have to be "diet food".

When I started out I got some second hand recipe books off amazon "Comfort Food: Without the Calories" and "Quick & Easy: Without the Calories", Pinterest also has loads of great fakeaway ideas.

• Beef Strogonoff
    • Garlic Chicken
    • Falafel
    • Salmon Fishcakes
    • Beef Stew
    • Taco Bowls

Most of them can be reheated in the microwave in a couple of mins and served with microwave rice/steamed veg if you want something really quick. The rest can be cooked in 10-20 mins.

I try to include much more fruit and veg than I did in my diet but as a whole it hasn't changed drastically.

Luckily i love veg, and i love cooking. Planning is part of my therapy which helps as i do enjoy doing it. Today Im making a chicken and veg balti and tomorrow i have lamb meatballs and fresh pasta, then shepherds pie with the left overs. I think my downfall is not working out. (I do walk) but i feel like if im not actually running or something then im not going to get anywhere, then get a pizza.
  • katherineleggett
    Options
    Try to steer your focus away from weightloss (something you can't directly control) to a better diet, possibly also better sleep and some exercise (something you can control). Cooking lets you indeed eat nice food - healthy, cheap and tasty. But you need to plan and schedule. Balance your meals, aim for variety, eat food you like, portion out appropriate amounts, and stick to meals. If you combine this with going to bed at a sensible hour and getting some exercise every day, you're on your way to better routines, which in fact can improve your mood.

I just need to make time to work out. I sleep loads, possible too much on the weekend which i need to stop
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options

I just need to make time to work out. I sleep loads, possible too much on the weekend which i need to stop

But maybe trying to change all of these things at once is going to overwhelm you in the longer run. I would suggest to focus on parts of it, then add other things when the first changes have become normality.
    Like, focus on treating your depression and planning meals (but for maintenance of weight) now. When that is working well, try planning meals in a way that helps you lose weight. When that starts working, you might not have the sleeping problem any more anyway, as your energy will go up with less weight and less depression. If it is still there, of course it can still be tackled.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

• Beef Strogonoff
    • Garlic Chicken
    • Falafel
    • Salmon Fishcakes
    • Beef Stew
    • Taco Bowls

Luckily i love veg, and i love cooking. Planning is part of my therapy which helps as i do enjoy doing it. Today Im making a chicken and veg balti and tomorrow i have lamb meatballs and fresh pasta, then shepherds pie with the left overs. I think my downfall is not working out. (I do walk) but i feel like if im not actually running or something then im not going to get anywhere, then get a pizza.

Though I agree with @kommodevaran that trying to incorporate exercise in will improve your mood, etc plenty of people lose weight without intentionally working out and you can still eat a pizza occasionally and lose weight. Find some form of exercise or activity you enjoy and try to incorporate it into your routine, around your life.
  • katherineleggett
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »

But maybe trying to change all of these things at once is going to overwhelm you in the longer run. I would suggest to focus on parts of it, then add other things when the first changes have become normality.
    Like, focus on treating your depression and planning meals (but for maintenance of weight) now. When that is working well, try planning meals in a way that helps you lose weight. When that starts working, you might not have the sleeping problem any more anyway, as your energy will go up with less weight and less depression. If it is still there, of course it can still be tackled.

Yeah i didnt think of it like that, thank you thats really helped
  • mammacoty
    mammacoty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I cut out breads, pastas, anything with wheat & stuff with added sugar about 3 weeks ago, and within a week I was feeling way better. My depressive fog lifted, I have energy to keep me going through the day, I'm sleeping better at night, and started walking every day.
    2 months ago, I uninstalled Facebook from my phone, and decluttered my electronic life. Now, when I am on my phone, it's to log my foods, read about healthy living, and pin motivating quotes and fitness ideas on Pinterest!
    I hope you find your groove again soon.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    mammacoty wrote: »
    I cut out breads, pastas, anything with wheat & stuff with added sugar about 3 weeks ago, and within a week I was feeling way better. My depressive fog lifted, I have energy to keep me going through the day, I'm sleeping better at night, and started walking every day.
    2 months ago, I uninstalled Facebook from my phone, and decluttered my electronic life. Now, when I am on my phone, it's to log my foods, read about healthy living, and pin motivating quotes and fitness ideas on Pinterest!

If you want to try a different diet sure, but depression won't be cured by a magic dietary change. Please seek professional help.
  • katherineleggett
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    mammacoty wrote: »

If you want to try a different diet sure, but depression won't be cured by a magic dietary change. Please seek professional help.

I’ve had help. I’m on the way out of the depression now. I just want to get my life back together now
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    You say "running a house". Can I ask? Who else is in this house? Are they pulling their weight?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    There is some evidence that long-low intensity cardio sessions (especially outdoors) are as effective (if not more) than traditional SSRI medications.

I know you have a lot on your plate, but i wonder if taking some time each day to get outside and walk/jog alone with your thoughts would really help you stay on track.

Sometimes i like to wake up early and go for a walk (i do intervals) in the park near my house before the rest of the world has really woken up because it's so peaceful and gives me time to think.

Just something to consider!
  • katherineleggett
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    You say "running a house". Can I ask? Who else is in this house? Are they pulling their weight?

It’s just me and my partner. And don’t get me wrong. It’s not to the degree of having kids etc. It’s just overwhelming for me to work such long hours, clean, tidy, wash the clothes, food shop and prep the food for the week. It’s stuff people do without a second thought but it’s just tiring at the moment
  • katherineleggett
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    There is some evidence that long-low intensity cardio sessions (especially outdoors) are as effective (if not more) than traditional SSRI medications.

I know you have a lot on your plate, but i wonder if taking some time each day to get outside and walk/jog alone with your thoughts would really help you stay on track.

Sometimes i like to wake up early and go for a walk (i do intervals) in the park near my house before the rest of the world has really woken up because it's so peaceful and gives me time to think.

I love early morning walks and run! I used to do it most mornings until I changed job. I need to leave at 5:30 now to get to work on time so I don’t get the chance too. That may be an excuse but if I get up any earlier I go to bed at 8:30 and it’s not giving me any life after work
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

I love early morning walks and run! I used to do it most mornings until I changed job. I need to leave at 5:30 now to get to work on time so I don’t get the chance too. That may be an excuse but if I get up any earlier I go to bed at 8:30 and it’s not giving me any life after work

well... and don't take this the wrong way I totally understand we've all gotta do what we gotta do sometimes...

Have you considered whether your job is negatively impacting your quality of life?

I know that probably sounds silly, but... sometimes working that high-pay / stress-inducing / time sucking job is actually counterproductive to the life we want to live. i have several friends that went to 8 years of higher education, went through all the stress of having a job in the law/medical field to find out that they pursued this career based on false ideals of "success" and the expectations of their families. One of them experienced serious burn-out and depression and changed fields entirely and is finally living a less stressful life.

I don't know what you're doing or whether or not your passionate and happy with your career; but if you're not that is something to consider. ;)
  • katherineleggett
    Options

well... and don't take this the wrong way I totally understand we've all gotta do what we gotta do sometimes...

Have you considered whether your job is negatively impacting your quality of life?

I know that probably sounds silly, but... sometimes working that high-pay / stress-inducing / time sucking job is actually counterproductive to the life we want to live. i have several friends that went to 8 years of higher education, went through all the stress of having a job in the law/medical field to find out that they pursued this career based on false ideals of "success" and the expectations of their families. One of them experienced serious burn-out and depression and changed fields entirely and is finally living a less stressful life.

I don't know what you're doing or whether or not your passionate and happy with your career; but if you're not that is something to consider. ;)

It is something i am currently weighing up.
    I plan to move within the next 12 months so i wont be working there for much longer. the pa is just good for the moment so im making the most of it for when i need to go and find a random job to keep me in a home
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    It’s just overwhelming for me to work such long hours, clean, tidy, wash the clothes, food shop and prep the food for the week.

Does your partner not clean, tidy, wash the clothes, help food shop and prep?
  • katherineleggett
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    It’s just overwhelming for me to work such long hours, clean, tidy, wash the clothes, food shop and prep the food for the week.

Does your partner not clean, tidy, wash the clothes, help food shop and prep?

Yeah but he works 6 days a week. Don’t like him to have to do it on his one day off