Lost 40 pounds but now at a stand still..

Hey guys. I’ve recently lost 40 pounds but the past three weeks I haven’t lost more than 1 pound. I’m currently sitting at 192. I don’t think I should drecrease my calorie intake anymore than it is (1400) but I don’t understand why I would go from losing 2.5 pounds a week to less than a pound. Any advice on what I can do to get out of this rut?

I will add that I know at some point (maybe even now) I won’t be able to lose weight as quick as I have been but I figured it would cut down to 1 pound a week if so.

Thanks guys

Replies

• changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    edited October 2017
    Stats? Height, weight, age, daily activity level, exercise? What is your goal weight?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    1 pound per week or 1 pound in 3 weeks? Mainly, tighten up your logging. what else has been going on?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2017
    kcasteel07 wrote: »
    Hey guys. I’ve recently lost 40 pounds but the past three weeks I haven’t lost more than 1 pound. I’m currently sitting at 192. I don’t think I should drecrease my calorie intake anymore than it is (1400) but I don’t understand why I would go from losing 2.5 pounds a week to less than a pound. Any advice on what I can do to get out of this rut?

I will add that I know at some point (maybe even now) I won’t be able to lose weight as quick as I have been but I figured it would cut down to 1 pound a week if so.

Thanks guys

If you have less than 75 lbs to lose, 2.5 lbs a week is very aggressive, 1 lb per week is way more realistic.

You have been losing weight at a super fast rate, it is actually normal to experience a couple weeks here and there with no or minimal loss anyway. Start eating the calories you would need to in order to lose 1 lb per week, use a food scale to make sure you're eating the calories you think you are, and give your body a chance to take a little break.

And be more patient, weight loss is not usually linear. Most people lbs per week chart looks like a roller coaster, not a straight line :drinker:
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    1 pound per week or 1 pound in 3 weeks? Mainly, tighten up your logging. what else has been going on?

OP says she lost 40 pounds, averaging 2.5 pounds/week
    Now....she only lost 1 pound over the last 3 weeks.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Did you re-calibrate your MFP calories? I know you said you don't want to drop anymore calories, but your lighter body isn't burning as much as your heavier body. You'll either have to drop calories or become satisfied losing at a slower rate.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    aeloine wrote: »
    Did you re-calibrate your MFP calories? I know you said you don't want to drop anymore calories, but your lighter body isn't burning as much as your heavier body. You'll either have to drop calories or become satisfied losing at a slower rate.

Great answer!!
    OP...maybe slow down to .5 to 1 pound per week. I know...its slow as hell but at least it's going down.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Have a read of this, OP: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

As Kimney said, it's perfectly normal to have weeks where you don't lose. However, a diet break is a sensible thing to do from time to time regardless. The link explains why, and how to do one (ie, it's not just going off piste for a couple of weeks ;) ). After that, lower your deficit to lose 1 lb per week. You don't look like you have a lot to lose, and your body simply can't support a more aggressive deficit at this point.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    I reached a plateau around 161lbs. I realized I wasn't eating enough to keep my body fueled. It led to things like less activity, strange sleeping patterns, and temptation to sneak in extra snacks I wasn't logging. I used a TDEE calculator and changed my MFP goals to .5lb per week and custom adjusted my daily goal accordingly to where I'm eating at around a 15% deficit. I am eating around 1600 calories a day and I no longer eat back my exercise calories. I feel satisfied and I'm okay with the progress being a little slower now that I'm only about 12 lbs from my goal.