Peanut butter-healthy or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Natural nut butters are VERY good for you.

This is true. I'm going to make some nut butter tonight. It's the best.

Have you considered selling your nut butter at the local farmer's market?

I thought about selling it. It's a hot commodity. But rather I just donate it.

Very charitable of you, but seriously, you should put in jars and sell it. Maybe make up some cute little labels with a bear on them or something.

Or maybe a squirrel.

they love nuts

This is true. Usually it's so good it's gone before I can store it. The few times I could store it, it was in a little cup.
  • freeloaves
    freeloaves Posts: 281
    Options
    I LOVE crunchy PB.

I also could eat almond PB all day *omgjizzismsitissogoodiwantsomerightnowomg*
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i love the stuff. have a tablespoon of it almost every morning.

while it is calorie-dense, i don't find myself ever wanting more than 1-2 tablespoons. that's more than enough for a pb&j for me.
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    great well i will keep eating it then :) the one i have is just peanuts so should be right :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it's good for you if you get one without added salt and sugar. I don't trust the "light" kind of PB because they just load it up with some kind of unpronouncable starch which I don't think I want to eat.

I just bought some Almond, Brazil, Cashew Spread from Woolworths and it is DELICIOUS!
  • KelieHerrera
    Options
    I'm allergic to peanuts and tree nuts and before I started being more health conscious I ate Soy Nut Butter as a replacement. It's really good, but pretty sure its horrible for you. They even make a crunchy version. It's pretty good stuff.
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    the kind i have only has one ingredient -peanuts so should be right :)
  • lwoodtri
    lwoodtri Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter itself is ok for ya, (although some studies of peanuts show otherwise) but there are many others out there . . Almonds and cashews I prefer over regular peanuts! Just note that nuts as a whole are calorie dense and you do not need to eat much!

Whole "PayCheck" Foods, also has a machine to make "butter" out of a few different types .. Almond Butter is amazing!! :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I love PB but definitely only eat it in moderation. My PB favourite: Mix 1 tbsp of crunchy peanut (or cashew nut) butter with 1 clove of raw garlic, 1/2 a chopped red chilli, a little water to let it down and a dash of soy sauce and you have yourself a satay style stir fry sauce, or dipping sauce for chicken, prawns (shrimp) etc..