Any parents with special needs kids who find it hard to find that motivation and strength to workout

Options
I'm a mom of 3 autistic children and I get pumped and excited when I think of working out and I look forward to it but when it comes down to it, I'm so tired ... I get in a good day about 6 hours of sleep on and off. I get 2 hours in a day to myself so thats my wolindow of opportunity to working out and weekends but not going to lie when its that time all I want to do is sleep and do nothing. How can I find that motivation to just get up and go.... And don't get me started on eating, I love!!!!! Salads and veggies but with my kids having sensory issues to smells and textures plus I'm limited financially I only get mostly food for them and I eat what's there so I know thats a huge part in loosing weight. Again I just need to push myself I know I do, but I don't

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I can't even begin to imagine how hard your life is. Is there any way you can get more sleep? That's probably more important than exercise.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    And how old are the kids? Any chance of doing something active with them?
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Big hug!!! In a busy time like now, I do 7 min workout . It’s not plenty - but it’s better then 0. I have an app to help me with the workout. Before I had the app I would live the house/ office and just walk for 7 min where ever my foot takes me.. after 7 min I would come back
    Every journey start with a single step!
  • aidagarcia559
    aidagarcia559 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @Cynthiaschoice thank you and I'm currently working on trying to get my kids on a schedule we have good days and of course our bad but I catch up on my sleep on the weekends. And my kids are 10, 8, 4 years old
  • aidagarcia559
    Options
    @lili200 very true something is better than nothing thank you for the advice
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    first off, to lose weight you just need to eat a bit less... take a multi vitamin if you think your diet is lacking, but don't think that you have to eat salad to lose weight.

as for the having 2 hours a day to yourself. a 30 minute workout then gives you 90 minutes to nap/watch telly/do nothing. commit to 30 minutes 3 times a week and go from there.
  • cece1012003
    cece1012003 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Actually I do. My autistic kid would roll under me during planks and push-ups. I stepped on him a few times during calisthenics, complete nightmare. I was frustrated and just stopped for a while. Now I spend 20 minutes of a 30 minute lunch break jump roping outside my building and the last time cleaning up. I eat at my desk a little later.

I still wish I could do weight training, that I can't do at work. Or at least I haven't figured it out...yet.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I don't actually have any advice. Just want to say to parents of special needs kids that you guys are awesome!
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It gets easier to find time as they get involved in school, but I agree - it's tough!!! If you have 15 minutes to yourself, take a walk. Just a little bit of activity is better than nothing. Do squats while you empty the dishwasher, plank while you're watching TV, etc. Sometimes, you gotta get creative! I know what it's like to have the kiddos be your first priority. <3 ASD mom here, too.
  • aidagarcia559
    Options
    Thank you so.... Much everyone for the tips and advice I will definitely try all of them.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom to 3 kids, and my middle son (6 years old) has Autism. I've learned to fit in short workouts (30mins) when I can at home. I'm lucky that my gym daycare is very good with him and I can go there for 30mins-1hr a couple times a week (yes about every 3rd time they have to come get me, but it's OK). Just try and eat within your calories, move around more (squats, push-ups, crunches) and get adequate sleep. Hugs!
  • KarenJean81
    KarenJean81 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My 5yo son is moderately-severely autistic. Now he’s in school full time so I get a bigger window than you do but even then I have to motivate daily. He’s my reason for doing this now. I’m his voice and I plan to stick around as long as possible.
    Feel free to add me if you’d like to.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have 2 boys who are special needs. One has ADD and the other has intellectual disability. I try to get to the gym at lunch hour and try to get a run in after kids go to bed. But I know how you feel. At the end of the day, I am tired and it is very difficult to start to exercise when you are tired at the end of day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't have special needs kids, so I can't really relate to that...but a couple of things:

- Your exercise need not monopolize your available free time...30 minutes of light to moderate activity is what is recommended by the AHA for general health and well being. Personally, I started out just walking for 30 minutes per day.
    - It's likely that you'll find regular exercise to give you a boost in your mood, give you more energy, and relieve stress...maybe not right away, but I find that regular exercise does the above for me.
    - One of the reasons I exercise regularly is actually for my kids...for one, I want to be healthy and around for them for a long time...for two, they are crazy boys and I want to romp and play with them without being tired and feeling like I just got a beat down...for three, I want to be an example to them.
  • aidagarcia559
    Options
    Wow so much great advice again thank you everyone this means olat. Quick question how do I add someone on here I'm new on this page
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You click the person name and then add friendship request
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    1. Sleep.
    2. Calorie deficit.
    3. Walk.
  • 90Ibs
    90Ibs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    30 mins exercise a day is plenty to start off with. You could also try doing low-impact cardio exercises to prevent stepping on children underfoot, and cardio burns a decent amount of calories in a short time. Caloric deficit is important too as already mentioned.

Have you considered maybe making exercise a family activity? It might be a good idea to figure out sensory issues that would make certain exercises not great (running on grass, noisy areas like swimming pools, etc), and go from there. I can't handle loud noises so on days where there's construction or something I work out indoors as opposed to outdoors, and I choose to run on trails as opposed to busy streets. Things like that.
  • aidagarcia559
    Options
    @90lbs yes I was thinking about making some exercise a family event like for starters walking. So far so good we go out twice a week for now. My son seems interested in some of my home equipment so hopefully thats something he can pick up also
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My cousin has a son with down syndrome and her and her husband both competed in Ironman competitions. They have two healthy boys who are both track stars. Their third son has down syndrome and they treat him the same as the other boys. He goes running, hiking, and now even snowboarding with them. My wife's stepfathers brother has two sons with autism. One has severe autism, severe enough he was accepted into a special needs private school. The other son has moderate autism. Their father takes those boys out hiking with him. It allows family time and he said he notices that when his boys are out hiking it kind of calms them. He keeps an eye on them but allows them to venture off ahead of him. I don't know your situation and never like to clump all kids into a category because Autism comes in many different forms and can have severe differences with children. I would say try to make time when you can but get them involved when you can. When it feels more like family time it wont feel like working out. Best of luck!!