What workout is your preference?

I'm trying to decided what to do next and would like to hear from others. Do you like full body, upper/lower split, or body part split type workouts and why?

Bonus points if you can tell me what plan you're following so I can check it out!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I've been following Stonglifts 5 x 5 with some more runner specific exercises thrown in as my goals are to improve strength and injury resistance rather than hypertrophy. It really depends on what your goals are.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Lifting I do a 2x per week full body and spend the rest of my time on my bike mostly. In winter I usually add another day in the gym to lift and drop a cycling day.

My plan is something my trainer and I put together and changes every 8 weeks or so unless he has me training for something specific...like he wants me to do a power lifting meet in March...so my training will be focused to that for a longer period of time...otherwise he doesn't really like me doing the same things and living in the same rep ranges and whatnot for long periods of time. Most of them are similar, just slight variations in movements and changes in rep-ranges...always full body.

The only reason I would consider a split is if I really wanted to put on a lot of mass...the reason people do splits is so that can get the high volume of work necessary to pack on mass...for most people, a full body program is going to be plenty...and certainly for beginners...I see zero point in doing a split for beginners.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    My first preference is anything that has me outside on my bike.

Second would be anything that has me outside.

But your question seems to be more about the gym and lifting... in which case I'd say full body. Going full body means less time in the gym while still getting good results/progress, and less time in the gym is most definitely my preference. I love everything about lifting, except the actual lifting.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I do an Upper/Legs & Arms, rest, repeat, so I'm able to hit a muscle group x2-3 a week. Personally never been a fan of Split Routines. I do all my own programming.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    For me full body lifting is my preference and keeps me the most motivated.. and the results are pretty dang awesome. I love to hit the glutes at minimum 3x per week. I don't think I would ever run a split for that reason unless it was very specifically designed for me and my weak points.

My program (Get Glutes) which is similar to Strong Curves, is 3x per week full body, plus a lower body day (with a bit less volume). I have also added an extra upper day for more volume now that I am bulking. So goals right now are grow the booty (big surprise), delts as well as lats and hammies.

OP, what program have you been running up until now? I think I remember you were cutting about to bulk?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    My first preference is anything that has me outside on my bike.

Second would be anything that has me outside.

But your question seems to be more about the gym and lifting... in which case I'd say full body. Going full body means less time in the gym while still getting good results/progress, and less time in the gym is most definitely my preference. I love everything about lifting, except the actual lifting.

ditto.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2017
    I do a full body lifting routine based on this post and the current equpiment I own:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/373801/two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine/p1

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BusyRaeNOTBusty/view/current-lifting-routine-939307

I don't have time for more than 30-45 minutes 3 times a day. I also walk a lot and ride my bike 1-2 times a week.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    “Strength is never a weakness.”
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    I do full body 3x weekly, usually something from Nia Shanks' Beautiful Badass book. I have also done Stronglifts, Strong Curves, and a variety of body weight programs, butIaways go back to barbell training with Nia Shanks.
  • jasonlangdon74
    jasonlangdon74 Posts: 13 Member
    I'm currently doing the strong lifts 5x5 program. It's 3 compound lifts per day, 3 days a week. Takes about 45 minutes to complete each day
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Full body 3-4x/week + metcons 2-3x/week.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I'm very happy with my results from brisk walking daily, lifting with moderate weights 4 days a week (2 upper body days and 2 lower body days) and with some Pilates/stretching thrown in there. It's a great mix of cardio, strength, flexibility and balance.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    I started with doing full-body workouts earlier this year (I work out at home) and I've stuck with them so far. I've seen results so I'm going with it.

I just pick workouts from M & S

I found a pretty great full body workout on the M&S site. Did the first day yesterday and loved it! Thank you all for the suggestions. This helped me jump on the full day workout train.

• WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Walking but I have to stop now that the cold temps are on us. :(
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    I do full body 3X/wk. One of those days is all bodyweight.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    In my heart I want to lift heavy. In reality, I run. I didn't think I would enjoy running, but I did a 10k training plan, finished a race, and now I'm hooked.

Maybe this winter I'll lift...
  • angel4732
    angel4732 Posts: 14,898 Member
    Hiking, I would be out there all day, every day if I could
    And squash
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Wendler 5/3/1 with a six-week deload cycle and Boring But Big assistance work.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    I alternate running and kettlebell workouts. Running - I'm currently using a half-marathon training plan from Endomondo, and also use Zombies Run. For the kettlebells, I have a subscription to Lauren's Playground with Lauren Brooks.