Chew/spit vs Binge eating

Options
mieddy
mieddy Posts: 19 Member
edited October 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hi. I have a bit of a Binge eating problem.
I've gotten it semi under control in the past months through cico and avoidance of food I binge on(I've lost 25 pounds, 15 to go till goal weight). However, I'm constantly thinking about food. It's almost at an obsessive level at this point. I still binge roughly every two weeks but have also been chew spitting. I know that's unhealthy too but binge eating is as well. I don't know where I'm going with this, but I need help finding a way to safely introduce the sweet salty foods I crave into my pantry without consuming them in one sitting or spitting them into a cup like a Savage. Please help and no judgments :( I'm very ashamed of my behaviors.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need professional help with your EDs. Please get help.

This
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    mieddy wrote: »
    a way to safely introduce the sweet salty foods I crave into my pantry

I don't think there is one, from what you've told us. If you're wanna eat chips and whatnot, go to a convenience store and buy a single-serving bag. Then go home. Eat it, done.

That's just a little tactic. As for why you're thinking about food so much, that'll take serious research and introspection to figure out.
  • mieddy
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's an ED, just an unhealthy relationship. Professional help is not an option for me at the moment

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's an ED, just an unhealthy relationship. Professional help is not an option for me at the moment
    Binge-eating is absolutely an eating disorder.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/common-eating-disorders
    Common symptoms of binge eating disorder include:
    • Eating large amounts of foods rapidly, in secret and until uncomfortably full, despite not feeling hungry.
    • Feeling a lack of control during episodes of binge eating.
    • Feelings of distress, such as shame, disgust or guilt, when thinking about the binge-eating behavior.

Why can't you see a professional?
  • mieddy
    Options

Is the barrier to getting professional help financial, geographical, something else?

few things. i'm not living in the US right now and i could not pay for therapy. so really not possible until i'm back in the states which will be a while. i've attempted seeing someone twice in the past but it gives me a lot of anxiety so i always cancel my appointments.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's a good sign that you are reaching out for help. Know that no one here is judging you, and although you may be struggling with this issue, that doesn't make you any less of a person.

What may be helpful for you is to do some google research in your area about hotlines/free ED meetings/treatment in your area. Many are readily available and will meet with you--even as a consult for free.

The behaviors you describe (i.e. your relationship with food) is probably more common than you think, and unfortunately, will need you to take responsibility and to accept that you may need to reach out to someone that can help you. This doesn't mean that you are weak, it just means you need some support.

People on this board can point you in that direction, but we are in no means qualified to give advice of a professional. We will however, help support you in your journey. Don't get frustrated and hang in there!

(Note: Personal experience with an ED - It took me 20 + years to reach out and change my life).
  • mieddy
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Why can't you see a professional?

i'm living outside of the US for a bit and I can really only afford housing/food/basic living requirements
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi. I have a bit of a Binge eating problem.
    I've gotten it semi under control in the past months through cico and avoidance of food I binge on(I've lost 25 pounds, 15 to go till goal weight). However, I'm constantly thinking about food. It's almost at an obsessive level at this point. I still binge roughly every two weeks but have also been chew spitting. I know that's unhealthy too but binge eating is as well. I don't know where I'm going with this, but I need help finding a way to safely introduce the sweet salty foods I crave into my pantry without consuming them in one sitting or spitting them into a cup like a Savage. Please help and no judgments :( I'm very ashamed of my behaviors.

Chewing and spitting is a recognized sign of an eating disorder, as is thinking about food all the time (which is not to say you have an ED at this time, but seem to be heading that way). If professional help isn't an option at this time, I would suggest maybe looking into finding a mindful approach to your eating and thoughts about food. If you think that might be of use, I can recommend "The Beck Diet Solution" (Judith S. Beck).

"...uses cognitive and behavioral techniques to teach dieters how to lose weight and continually motivate themselves to maintain their weight loss. It is one of the first books to apply Cognitive Therapy techniques to dieting and permanent weight loss."

I wish you the best of luck - you've already put a lot of time and effort into your (successful) weight management, so you already know you've got what it takes!

eta: I should say I read the book, did most of the exercises and still use some of the tools I learned now that I'm in maintenance. It really helped me re-align some of my thinking around food and weight loss.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Where are you outside of the US? You may be able to seek help much cheaper where you are then when you come home. I usually visit doctors when i travel abroad because healthcare in the US is a joke.
  • mieddy
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

I can recommend "The Beck Diet Solution" (Judith S. Beck).

I wish you the best of luck - you've already put a lot of time and effort into your (successful) weight management, so you already know you've got what it takes!

thank you:) I appreciate your suggestion. yes, I never thought I would get this far.
  • mieddy
    Options
    corgarian wrote: »
    Where are you outside of the US? You may be able to seek help much cheaper where you are then when you come home. I usually visit doctors when i travel abroad because healthcare in the US is a joke.

Germany and I have health insurance here, but I'm not located in a central area. I really can't seek professional help at this time in my life
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You may want to look into the online support groups posted here:

https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/recovery/support-groups/online

I don't have any details, but this may help you understand options. Stay strong! Oh, and try not to beat yourself up and feel ashamed. This is something you can get through, I promise!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Germany and I have health insurance here, but I'm not located in a central area. I really can't seek professional help at this time in my life

What can be more important than your mental and physical health?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I love all the people making rational arguements about an irrational problem. *rolls eyes*

OP, I've had good luck with hard candy. I'm not a cruncher/biter, so certain types of hard candy can easily last me 30-45 minutes. I'll pop one in my mouth, another in my pocket, then make myself busy to try to get my mind off food. It's not perfect, and it doesn't always work... but it's a decent crutch.
  • mieddy
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »
    It's a good sign that you are reaching out for help. Know that no one here is judging you, and although you may be struggling with this issue, that doesn't make you any less of a person.

What may be helpful for you is to do some google research in your area about hotlines/free ED meetings/treatment in your area. Many are readily available and will meet with you--even as a consult for free.

People on this board can point you in that direction, but we are in no means qualified to give advice of a professional. We will however, help support you in your journey. Don't get frustrated and hang in there!

(Note: Personal experience with an ED - It took me 20 + years to reach out and change my life).
    :smile:. thank you. I totally understand, just came for here for a little insight and encouragement. I appreciate the responses

I know there are free therapy services offered online, so I should really look into that.

• mieddy
    Options

What can be more important than your mental and physical health?

you're absolutely right. but it's really not as easy as you make it sound for a plethora of reasons, both tangible and intangible
  • mieddy
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    OP, I've had good luck with hard candy. I'm not a cruncher/biter, so certain types of hard candy can easily last me 30-45 minutes. I'll pop one in my mouth, another in my pocket, then make myself busy to try to get my mind off food. It's not perfect, and it doesn't always work... but it's a decent crutch.

thanks, i need to avoid excess sugar because of cavities and such but I do rely heavily on sugar-free gum, which i guess is the same idea.