Help with weight loss!

Options
Hello,
My name is Fatima and I'm 33 years old, mother of 2. I started the keto diet about 3 months ago, after a visit from my doctor and my A1C level being high. I decided to cut out sugar, bread, rice, potato and so on. Whithin the first week I lost 6 pounds, but haven't been able to loose anything else. Any advice would be helpful.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    fsibi30 wrote: »
    Hello,
    My name is Fatima and I'm 33 years old, mother of 2. I started the keto diet about 3 months ago, after a visit from my doctor and my A1C level being high. I decided to cut out sugar, bread, rice, potato and so on. Whithin the first week I lost 6 pounds, but haven't been able to loose anything else. Any advice would be helpful.

eat less. if you're not losing weight its because you are not in a calorie deficit.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    keto or no keto you need ro eat at a deficit to lose weight. People eat keto to help with their apetite so that they can make deficit easier.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Keto is just a style of eating. It is not inherently a weight loss plan, just like being a vegetarian is not a weight loss plan. Many people lose weight by using a restrictive diet that cuts out food (keto cutting out carbohydrates, vegetarians cutting out meat) BECAUSE those people were eating a lot of that food and now aren't. If your daily diet is 1000 calories of non-carbs (protein, fat, etc) and 1000 calories of carbs and instead of those carbs you eat 2000 cals of non-carbs... there will be no weight change.
  • fsibi30
    fsibi30 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do count calories, I input everything I eat throughout the day in my fitness pal app. I'm always under the calorie recommendation. Pls help! How do I get into calorie deficit? Thanks for all of your replies.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I do count calories, I input everything I eat throughout the day in my fitness pal app. I'm always under the calorie recommendation. Pls help! How do I get into calorie deficit? Thanks for all of your replies.

What are your stats?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Do you use a food a scale?
  • fsibi30
    Options
    No I don't
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    No I don't

This will be your bestest weight loss friend. :smile:
  • fsibi30
    Options
    All I know is the app suggested that my calorie intake for the day should be 1690.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    All I know is the app suggested that my calorie intake for the day should be 1690.

Since you are not weighing your food intake, you are most likely over eating keeping you out of calorie deficit.
  • fsibi30
    Options
    How do I get into calorie deficit?
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You get into a calorie deficit by eating less than you burn. You can't know if you're doing that unless you weigh and measure you food. Buy a food scale and starting learning how to do it. There are many, many threads on this board that you can read to help.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2017
    Options
    How do I get into calorie deficit?

When you start weighing your food on a food scale you will be eating the MFP allotted 1690 calories which is your calories to eat to lose weight.

eta: OP this video is an eye opener to using measuring cups/spoons/eye balling food.. It changed everything for me when I was not using a scale when I first started.

https://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    No I don't

You're eating more than you think then.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    No I don't

theres your problem
  • phrobbert
    phrobbert Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Knowing your caloric intake isn't much use unless you're also monitoring your total daily energy expenditure using a device like a Fitbit or Garmin watch. If you're mostly sedentary during your day you'd be surprised how little energy you're burning, and consequently your daily caloric intake should be lowered to remain in deficit.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Yes, What they up there all said. You've cut the carbs and sugar..so your blood sugar leveles are steady ..and that is a great start. Now you have to plug in your numbers on your profile.. height, age, weight, goal..all that..and see how many caloires you can have per day to lose weight. Good luck.. you're on the right track.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    phrobbert wrote: »
    Knowing your caloric intake isn't much use unless you're also monitoring your total daily energy expenditure using a device like a Fitbit or Garmin watch. If you're mostly sedentary during your day you'd be surprised how little energy you're burning, and consequently your daily caloric intake should be lowered to remain in deficit.

Not true.

Fitbit and garmin products are notoriously inaccurate. The TDEE math pretty much always works out. If she's more active, she can put her exercise into the app and get an estimate that would have been in line with fitbit or garmin estimates.

Fatima, did you have my fitness pal set to LOSE weight or to maintain?

Also, the food scale. It will be the answer 100% of the time when you're not losing weight.