2»

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    xvolution wrote: »
    Fruit is actually better for you than refined sugar since most include essential vitamins /minerals /fiber /etc. Just like everything else though, moderation is key.

Most foods I eat with added sugar also contain vitamins/minerals/fiber, etc. What foods only contain added sugar and nothing else, aside from actually eating plain sugar?

Werthers?
    Had a Life Saver this morning.
    Halloween is less than a week away so I'm sure there are lots of examples there.

:)

I mean, there's some candy corn in the office kitchen, but I didn't think people actually ate that stuff.

I am very much looking forward to November 1st 1/2 price Halloween candy though!

I like candy corn. It's why I'm not buying any this Halloween.
    Candy corn
    Rockets (they are called something else in the US)
    Caramels

Now why was I 330 lbs again?????

So you're the one!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Fruit is actually better for you than refined sugar since most include essential vitamins /minerals /fiber /etc. Just like everything else though, moderation is key.

Most foods I eat with added sugar also contain vitamins/minerals/fiber, etc. What foods only contain added sugar and nothing else, aside from actually eating plain sugar?

Werthers?
    Halloween is less than a week away so I'm sure there are lots of examples there.

I mean, there's some candy corn in the office kitchen, but I didn't think people actually ate that stuff.

I am very much looking forward to November 1st 1/2 price Halloween candy though!

Candy corn
    Caramels

So you're the one!

He's not the only one. I had a coach nicknamed "Coach Mellocreme" because she ate so much candy corn & its kin (the mellocreme candy pumpkins, Christmas bells, etc.)

Also: Big Ten champion rower. Frequent marathon and triathlon top finisher. Stellar student and later researcher in her field, biomedical engineering.

Seriously, sugar's not the devil. And fruits are actively good for you.

I ate 2-3 servings daily while losing 1/3 of my body weight in less than a year. (It didn't make me an elite athlete or researcher, though. Sigh. Maybe I should eat more candy corn.)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Werthers?

Candy corn
    Caramels

LOL, I can relate.
    I don't really like candy corn, however, have you ever tried mixing candy corn, dry roasted peanuts, and plain M&M's (harvest mix colors of course). So good!

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Sugar IS sugar. But sugar isn't evil, so eat fruit if you want to.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Werthers?

Candy corn
    Caramels

In the US, rockets are called Smarties. Talk about your bait and switch
  • teags84mfp
    teags84mfp Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    I'm starting to notice something weird. Staying within calories is what works, no matter what you eat.

Yep, I am finding it is working beautifully for me so far. Years of torturing myself and fighting against my body instead of working with it, no more.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Fruits are high in basic sugars like fructose that are easy to digest. That isn't bad at all, but it's true, and to those who think easily digested sugars are the dietary devil then sure, for them it would make sense to call them "bad".

That said I feel people who need to classify foods as being "good" or "bad" are on a path to some messed up and overly complicated eating patterns. Food is fuel, use accordingly.

Will a banana hurt you? No. Will 10 bananas a day hurt you, well...no if you have room in your caloric carbs but for like 2000 calories just from bananas...I'd say most people probably dont and you'd like lend up gaining weight doing that.

Pretty much impossible to eat enough of a fibrous veg to do that, which is why fruit is "scary" to some.