Am I calculating the calories in microwave popcorn correctly?

Options
I’ve struggled with this for years but was too embarrassed to ask on MFP lol but here it goes: I never know how to read popcorn labels and I also never understood how popped & unpopped can be different calories?

Does this label mean that there are 90 calories (30 x 3 servings per bag) in the whole bag? It doesn’t even say how many grams of popped popcorn it makes so I don’t know how much popcorn the bag makes :s

kqnvz6kzggr2.jpeg

Thank you!

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    130 calories per serving. There are 3 servings per bag so 390 calories in the whole bag. Just use unpopped to unpopped to work it out, don't get caught up in the popped values!
  • EllieElla2015
    EllieElla2015 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    130 calories per serving. There are 3 servings per bag so 390 calories in the whole bag. Just use unpopped to unpopped to work it out, don't get caught up in the popped values!

Awesome, thank you!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I’ve struggled with this for years but was too embarrassed to ask on MFP lol but here it goes: I never know how to read popcorn labels and I also never understood how popped & unpopped can be different calories?

Does this label mean that there are 90 calories (30 x 3 servings per bag) in the whole bag? It doesn’t even say how many grams of popped popcorn it makes so I don’t know how much popcorn the bag makes :s

kqnvz6kzggr2.jpeg

Thank you!

Oh Lord, don't be embarrassed, I struggled with this for years too! :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I don't eat microwave popcorn, but I do pop my own, and it's still a confusing thing. It's a lot easier to log it using unpopped weight, imo.
  • Lee_an
    Lee_an Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The popped is alot less calories because the volume (space it occupies) is much higher. 1 popped piece is alot of unpopped kernals space-wise.

Table spoon for kernals, or a measuring cup for popped. You could use either to measure the calories. They will come out roughly the same.

Since grams are given for kernals the unpopped would probably be more accurate, that is if you're using a food scale.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I actually switched from microwave popcorn to bagged popcorn because I honestly never felt confident I was logging it right!