Anyone hypothyroid?

Options
I am 48 and my bloodwork shows slightly above normal and have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Not ready to dive into medication and the side effects..but am taking a supplement instead. Has anyone had success who has hypothyroidism with big weight loss?

Replies

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options

ETA: I'm on NDT, and have lost 42 pounds in the last year. Before that, it was like pulling teeth to lose anything at all. And I'm assuming since you said you were a little high, that you got TSH only. It's really recommended to get a free t4, free t3, and at least once a reverse t3. Testing for Hashimoto's is also recommended. It makes your levels much harder to control, and generally involves more frequent testing.

I agree. TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) is released by the pituitary gland when thyroid levels drop. Therefore people with low T3/T4 levels usually have high TSH levels. Many labs offer an automatic reflex to the complete panel when the TSH is elevated, but the doctor does need to order it. I'd ask for a complete thyroid panel before going further. You don't say how slightly your TSH was elevated, but like anything there are other causes including individual differences.
  • livingfree44
    livingfree44 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Number is 4.2..yes I had complete thyroid panel done...free t3 t4..etc..i had been following a support group on Facebook and keep hearing horror stories about hair loss and weight gain on the meds and have to follow a keto plan..which I think will be tough long term. Just contemplating whether I should dive in and take a med or not. My Dr wanted to put me on one right away...my naturopath thought so too..but we opted for a thyroid supplement instead. My 71 year old mother has been on medication for hypothyroidism since she was 22.
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have been on thyroid medication, Levothyroxin, for many years and I have not had any side effects other than losing 8# which I was hoping for anyway, so that was a plus. I have not been on keto or any other diet because of hypothyroidism nor has it been suggested by my dr's.
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I take meds for my thyroid and can honestly say that I have not lost weight or hair loss due to the meds. I have been on meds for about 2 years now.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'll add - hair loss for me is the first sign that my medicine levels may need to be adjusted (as well as weight creeping up - since I tend to maintain pretty well; and my blood pressure being raised)
  • dailyzey
    dailyzey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    TAKE THE MEDS!!! and make sure you get tested regularly because you will have to keep on top of it and change your dosage. I have been hypo for 20 years and taking levothyroxine. For a while, my dosage was too low and I couldn't get pregnant. Once it was corrected, I was able to get pregnant with our second child, who is now 3 and the cutest monster ever. Also - when my dosage was too low, I couldn't lose weight, it was like pulling teeth. Now on the right dosage, I have lost 16 pounds, I am 4 pounds shy of being in the right BMI range for my height.
    There are no side effects that I have experienced. Do your body a favor and avail yourself of modern science :)
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Take the meds! I am on dessicated thyroid and feel so much better! My energy levels, sleep, digestion, have all improved. I did not find I lost weight easily once treated. The only way I lose weight is if I log and work hard the same as when I was untreated. The correlation I do have though is the ability to actually think clearly, motivate myself, and put in the work. My brain and body just had no energy for workouts or even proper food planning while untreated.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    Have you considered getting a second opinion from an endocrinologist? You may feel better about the standard course of treatment (synthetic hormones) if another doctor can confirm that this is a good treatment for you.

You may also want to ask about starting with a smaller dosage and stepping up the dosage if necessary, as this is frequently done for those with a risk for side effects.

The current science shows that it is unlikely that weight loss alone will affect your thyroid function, however, studies on rats indicate that moderate weight (fat) loss can actually inhibit the function of thyroid hormones, exacerbating the situation (for you).

The upside is that with treatment of hypothyroidism with synthetic hormones, a 10% reduction in body weight is actually expected (largely in retained salt and water). Studies show that the treatment of hypothyroidism is actually the most important factor in weight loss for those people affected by it.

Finally, the one exception to this is a lack of iodine in your diet. If you don't take in a normal amount of iodine, it could limit your thyroid function.

All of this. It is very interesting to read the part about rat studies. That has been my experience. The lower my weight the higher my dose of medication. OP I have been on thyroid medicine for about 6 years. I wasn’t ever overweight before, but I was exhausted and achy and cold all the time. I have incredibly thick hair and shed less when my medicine is right. Instead of reading Facebook posts listen to your doctor. Possibly read some studies about the long term effects of thyroid issues when untreated.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    Have you considered getting a second opinion from an endocrinologist? You may feel better about the standard course of treatment (synthetic hormones) if another doctor can confirm that this is a good treatment for you.

You may also want to ask about starting with a smaller dosage and stepping up the dosage if necessary, as this is frequently done for those with a risk for side effects.

The current science shows that it is unlikely that weight loss alone will affect your thyroid function, however, studies on rats indicate that moderate weight (fat) loss can actually inhibit the function of thyroid hormones, exacerbating the situation (for you).

The upside is that with treatment of hypothyroidism with synthetic hormones, a 10% reduction in body weight is actually expected (largely in retained salt and water). Studies show that the treatment of hypothyroidism is actually the most important factor in weight loss for those people affected by it.

Finally, the one exception to this is a lack of iodine in your diet. If you don't take in a normal amount of iodine, it could limit your thyroid function.

All of this. It is very interesting to read the part about rat studies. That has been my experience. The lower my weight the higher my dose of medication. OP I have been on thyroid medicine for about 6 years. I wasn’t ever overweight before, but I was exhausted and achy and cold all the time. I have incredibly thick hair and shed less when my medicine is right. Instead of reading Facebook posts listen to your doctor. Possibly read some studies about the long term effects of thyroid issues when untreated.

i hadn't thought about that - but yeah - as my weight (and potentially more important BF% has gone down) - my dosage has gone up - I just had to get another tweak after being on 137 for over a year to 150 (huge jump in TSH in a short period of time) - my doc mentioned maybe nutrition as being part of the cause (i'm also eating significantly more than I was a few months ago)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    TSH of 4.2 is not horrible, but have you noticed a shift? How much weight are you looking to lose? Note that as hormones are free cycling so simply being overweight will cause an imbalance.

Steer clear of Facebook groups and other non-science based sites. Just an overwhelming amount of nonsense, misinformation and woo. Thyroid impacts your Resting Energy Expenditure ~5% and that is going from full supplement to no supplementation. That amounts to 80 kcals/day out of a 1600 kcal/day calorie budget. Hormone imbalances cause a gain in water weight and that's about it.

The new normal TSH is 0.2-2.0, but this needs to be reviewed along with several other factors by an endocrinologist.

Were you prescribed medication? If so take it. Sorry, but there are no excuses and no supplements that help with this. Side effects are minimal

I'm on 175/200 mcg Synthroid and lost 60 lbs my first year on MFP. I've been sans thyroid since 2000 due to thyroid cancer.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,418 Member
    Options
    I've been on synthetic thyroid meds for about 16 years. The only "side effects" were the negative symptoms that went away with treatment, chiefly stiffness & body aches, for me.

Starting in 2015, I lost 50+ pounds in just less than a year, with no more difficulty than people with normal thyroid function seem to have. Now in late year 2 of maintenance in the 120s at 5'5" and age 61, I've not yet needed any adjustment in dosage.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Instead of reading Facebook posts listen to your doctor. Possibly read some studies about the long term effects of thyroid issues when untreated.
    My advice is to listen to your doctor, but also to engage with your doctor. It can help to think of some questions and take notes before you go to your appointment so you remember to have the discussions you would like to have.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,436 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and my bloodwork shows slightly above normal and have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Not ready to dive into medication and the side effects..but am taking a supplement instead. Has anyone had success who has hypothyroidism with big weight loss?

You cannot heal hypothyreodism with a supplement. It basically means that your thyroid doesn't produce a hormone in sufficient amounts anymore. Your body needs this hormone for pretty much everything: brain functioning, muscle functioning, digestion, lots of other things. What the 'medication' does it basically add the right amount of hormone that your body needs but doesn't get anymore. That's all.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed back in 2004 having suffered months and months of severe panic attacks and exhaustion. My weight had also crept up a little bit, but not to anywhere near being overweight. Since being put on Levothyroxine I have no issues losing weight if I wish to. Granted, the med doesn't stop me feeling generally tired most of the time, to differing levels, but it did correct any issues I was having with weight, if the weight gain back then was even down to that. I am on 100 dose per day.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The only "side effects" were the negative symptoms that went away with treatment.

This!

I've been on meds for hypo for 10+ years (I'm 24) I feel significantly better when taking the appropriate meds.

I lost 60+ pounds a few years ago with no issue while on thyroid meds, just logging my food and trying to be more active.

I've generally found that when my weight goes down I need to lower my dose, and increase if I gain weight.