Is running making me fat?

Options
wildshrubbery
wildshrubbery Posts: 10 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm not saying running is making me fat but it isn't NOT making me fat.

I started working out spring 2015, primarily weight training, but my lifts never really got heavy (I don't think I like the concept of max weight/one-three rep). By November 2016 I was thinner than I've been since 2002 at 135 lbs, I was 3-5 lbs UNDER what I would consider ideal for me. My boyfriend and friends were concerned I wasn't eating enough. I was eating 900 calories before lunch. I must have cleared 2500 daily, but I wasn't counting because I didn't need to.

I started running in January because I wanted to ease my way into OCR and I've never really been a strong runner (I mean I was lazy, I didn't even TRY to make a 10 minute mile in high school). I started gaining weight. By February I had put on nearly 5 lbs. I started skipping more and more lifting days in favor of running and other cardio, trying to sweat off the excess weight. My weight has been all over the place, I might be able to fight it down with intense vigor, but then it climbs right back up. I was up to 152 last week (though I am down to 149 by end of this week).

It's NOT muscle gains in case you think it might be. It's clearly body fat. You can tell by the way it feels when you touch it haha.

I'm losing my mind. I feel like it's obviously a vicious cycle of too intense of cardio somehow exacerbating body fat increases, but being anxious about the fat, it's nearly impossible for me to bring myself to do anything OTHER than run when I get to the gym.

Help.

Please .

Also I think it's ironic that this calorie tracker gives literally zero points for weight training, only cardio. Like they could at least give a low-ball estimate, Can I have *15* calorie points for my squats?

Edit - I have been zeroing in on my diet/calorie intake more and more, the more stressed I get about the weight gain. I just started with this (myfitnesspal) app to track as accurately as possible. I tracked every bite and minutes running, my netcals For Mon-Wed were 896, 1695, and 1390 respectively. My run on Monday was long, gave me lots of +credits (absolute intake 1923, 2106 and 2029).

Yes I agree that 152 to 149 is a normal weight fluctuation but the overall TREND is upward. I've gained apx 15 lbs in the past 12 months.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    typically the cardio/weight gain cycle is because it tends to make you hungrier, so you eat more food which contributes to weight gain

tracking your food intake - cardio or weight lifting is critical to losing weight - you didn't mention how you are doing on that in your post...

also remember that weight fluctuations - your 152 to 149 is easily within the realm of normal weight fluctuations. Are you using a trending app to help you see if you are trending up or down? (libra or happyweight are 2 that are recommended)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Log strength training under cardio...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't default to fat/weight loss. If it did, people who exercise regularly and try to maintain their weight would eventually drop dead.

If you're more or less maintaining your weight, you're eating maintenance calories.
  • Johns_Dope_AF
    Johns_Dope_AF Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Whats your goal? Just to run and stay at the same weight? Do you count now?
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    I lost weight before doing a mix of cardio and lifting. I did like weight lifting, but primarily p90x, and some Jillian micheals and had great success with it, hit my goal felt great at 136lbs

I have since gained it all back, up to 172lbs, lost down to 165, and started training for marathons in March of this year. I have ran 2 marathons (july and sepember) and the only weight I lost was when I tried a plant based diet, I managed to stay about 160, lost no weight from running, still have a pudgy belly, ect, but also wasnt the best tracking my food either.

Now Im doing IF 16:8 and incorporating lifting into my routine and am down to 157 already in just October. Lifting is 100% the best thing you can add to your routine, and it does not need to be like super heavy lifting either, but weight training will help tons.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Consuming more calories than you burn is what causes fat gain/weight gain. You said weight has been all over the place, does this mean you lose gain the same weight over and over gain? This sounds like maintaining weight with normal daily fluctuations.

Have you tracked your calorie intake here or else where?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    So you're getting Rungry, and overeating and not logging.

Copy all.

Track your intake and you'll go right back down.

I feel like this post was directed at me :laugh:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Copy all.

Runger is real. :s So real.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Copy all.

2 half marathons this year have proved that the runger is real!
  • deannalfisher
    Options

Copy all.

not as real as swimger...just saying!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Copy all.

Yup. The running is making your extra hungry. You might have even been justifying overeating (I ran today, so I can have a milkshake). If you are gaining fat you are eating more than you are burning.

And look for weight training under cardio exercises. For me 30min of lifting = 100 calories.

ALSO, you don't need to lift 1 to 3 reps to be "lifting heavy". If you are increasing your weights regularly and the last rep or so is pretty darn hard on each lifting, you are lifting "heavy".
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Copy all.

Man, I don't know. I can control swimger and don't really feel it, but the day after a half? I want to eat everything in the world, and am a very sad panda when I realize that I can't.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

Copy all.

Man, I don't know. I can control swimger and don't really feel it, but the day after a half? I want to eat everything in the world, and am a very sad panda when I realize that I can't.

as long as i eat after a race - typically a smoothie is my go-to - then i'm good on the post-race runger...swimming (especially if its a distance swim) - all bets are off