Low cal snacks ideas...

Options
...4 days in and I'm starting to feel very hungry between meals. It's so tempting to reach for the vendor.

I work in an office and struggle to eat fruit during the day as it gives me terrible stomach ache, my body can't digest it when I'm stationary (weird I know!)

Does anyone have any tried and tested ideas?

Thanks

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hummus with veggies, greek plain yogurt with sliced almonds, 1/2 PB sandwich on WW bread. There are thousands of snacks you can pack and eat at your desk. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks daily. Lots of water every day all day with lemon.
  • paula_40
    paula_40 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Never thought of hummus but I might give it a try.
  • zennil2
    zennil2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have fallen in love with the Fiber One bars. They have many different kinds ranging from 90-150 calories. It is my new go to!
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    A serving of cheese and some whole wheat crackers, hummus with veggies, a hard boiled egg, handful of nuts, I really like those individual tuna packets (lemon pepper and sweet/spicy are my favorite and they're under 100cals), Greek yogurt with granola, those are just some things that come to my mind! I also buy tzatziki yogurt dip (sometimes called cucumber dill dip) and dip carrots or other veggies in it!
  • paula_40
    Options
    I'm gonna go shopping now and get some stuff....I'm finding it's sudden pangs of hunger so need something quick to hand. Thanks guys.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Half a protein bar. Pre-cut them and keep them in a ziplock. I find that cutting them in half keeps me from eating the whole thing.
  • melrose155
    melrose155 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, cheese sticks, almonds, pistachios, protein bar, protein shake, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese...all high protein, no/low carb. Keeps you fuller and satisfied longer.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    a cup of soup... simply organic 100 cals
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This is probably so gross to most people, but I carry around a couple of those baby food pouch things in my purse. They are mostly like an exotic apple sauce (the fig/kale/apple one is awesome), or a low sugar yogurt w some grains. Very low calories and convenient. I also like the little meat sticks. Just 100 calories in a jar and they just taste like a better quality vienna sausage.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    String cheese is great too if you don't have a lactose intolerance.

I keep protein bars that are around 200 calories in my desk at all times. Also Mini Bags of Microwave Popcorn.

I tend to keep things at work that can be "portioned" at home. Or are already portioned for me. Buying big bag of snacks and restricting myself to a serving is a no no!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My non fruit go to snacks are usually jerky (#1), wasabi almonds , individual serving cups of peanut butter (because I have no self control with PB) which i'll sometimes dip veggies in and full fat greek yogurt. What I find works even better for me though is just splitting my breakfast and lunch in half and eating 4 mini meals timed evenly throughout the work day. My breakfast and lunch are usually pretty large meals (8oz protein and veggies) and come in at approximately 550-600 each calories so they're still a significant amount of food when split up into four.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Ok you may find this really odd and not exactly what you asked but just had to share. For years I got a terrible stomach ache when I ate apples and red licorice and other odd things. No one could figure out why. Finally I had an endoscopy for an unrelated problem and they found I had that virus (H-pylori) that causes ulcers. A really nasty course of horrific antibiotics and the problem disappeared. Might be worth asking for the breath test. Wouldn't want to do those antibiotics again but so glad I can eat fruit and veg again, it was worth it.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Another vote for hummus here. I've been on a kick ever since my dietician suggested it and having some for lunch right now. Chopped up a whole red pepper, two tablespoons of hummus is 60cal. So good. And you can get different flavours usually if plain hummus isn't your thing.
  • paula_40
    Options
    Sounds like hummus is fave and yoghurt. I think that's what I'll be doing next week.