Increase calories one day per week?

Options

Replies

• Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you’ve been in a massive deficit and exercising for nearly 11 months without a diet break, I would take one ASAP.

Sounds like you’re experiencing some serious metabolic adaptations if you can’t lose weight on 1300 cals.

The above assumes that you accurately weigh and track everything you eat or drink.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I haven't been exercising the whole time. Last year I probably exercised for a month or two, the whole year. I've been at the gym for the last two months, so it hasn't been that much of a deficit the whole time. According to some calculators, my BMR is set at around 1100 and maintenance calories around 1400, with no exercise.
  • Sam29a
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Your weight is really not a lot. Stop with the cardio nonsense otherwise you will end up like a skinny fat smaller version of yourself. Do a body recomp and read up on Jade Tetas blog from metabolic effect https://www.metaboliceffect.com/eat-less-exercise-less/
    You should only either eat less, exercise less or eat more, exercise more not eat less, exercise more which is what you are doing. Go on his website to find out about the two protocols and see which one you want to do.

I want to lose the last 10 lbs or so, then eat at maintenance and do a recomp. Will definitely look into that once I'm at my final goal weight.

Thanks for the link, will check it out.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Sam29a wrote: »
    Your weight is really not a lot. Stop with the cardio nonsense otherwise you will end up like a skinny fat smaller version of yourself. Do a body recomp and read up on Jade Tetas blog from metabolic effect https://www.metaboliceffect.com/eat-less-exercise-less/
    You should only either eat less, exercise less or eat more, exercise more not eat less, exercise more which is what you are doing. Go on his website to find out about the two protocols and see which one you want to do.

I want to lose the last 10 lbs or so, then eat at maintenance and do a recomp. Will definitely look into that once I'm at my final goal weight.

I would recommend you really focus on resistance training now if not already especially with so little to lose. I wouldn't wait until you lose the 10lbs to start working on composition.. those last 10lbs will be more muscle if you don't and you will be further behind than if you start lifting now. Choice is yours of course.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Thanks, will have a read! Although I'm not really at a huge deficit as I'm only short and have a petite frame under all the fat.

You have been on 1200 calorie intake for a very long time. You should consider diet break, working yourself back up to your true maintenance. Maintain for a brief period and then reintroduce a very small deficit to lose the few pounds you want to.

And the pounds you gained last week was just water weight from incorporating exercise back into your regime. Consider also of you have made any dietary changes in the week, account for your monthly cycle, glycogen/muscle repair etc. Your weight is going to fluctuate daily, probably these same pounds you say you keep losing and gaining.

But definitely read the links above and do a diet break to get you back to where you should be.

^^This. For sure. 1200 calories for that long of time deserves a break. Your body will appreciate it.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

If you're not gaining or losing (over the course of several weeks), you're eating at maintenance right now.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could certainly eat 1320 6 days a week and 1500 1 day. Your weekly calories would actually be slightly lower doing that than if you ate 1350 7 days.
    (When you say you're finding it tough to calorie count, do you mean you just don't want to be doing it, or you've been getting slopping with your logging?)
    sardelsa wrote: »

I would recommend you really focus on resistance training now if not already especially with so little to lose. I wouldn't wait until you lose the 10lbs to start working on composition.. those last 10lbs will be more muscle if you don't and you will be further behind than if you start lifting now. Choice is yours of course.

This.
    Find a progressive resistance program.
    I would also try to get your protein up, OP. I saw a lot of days around 40-50 grams in your diary. (Generally recommended to be around .8 grams per pound, or 1 gram per pound of lean mass)

I would really consider recomp or a diet break at this point though.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse thanks ;) And I definitely agree... OP, look into a diet break especially considering how long you have been in a deficit. I was in a deficit for 16 weeks without one, and that was my limit. I should have taken one sooner before reaching my breaking point .. I learned my lesson and will definitely be doing so in the future.
  • Sam29a
    Options

Look at how many people have recommended a diet break to you. Do you think it's possible we know what we're talking about? Srsly, look at Sardelsa and Trigden's physiques, they know their stuff. Did you even read the link I gave you on diet breaks that explains the physiological changes that happen eating at a deficit? If you want to keep spinning your wheels, that's your choice, but what you're doing right now isn't working, right? So what do you have to lose by taking the diet break?

I understand what everyone is saying, but I feel like I am so close to hitting my ultimate goal weight, I can't have a diet break now, I just cannot do that. I want to hurry up and get slim, I want to get this weight off, then start a proper strength training routine. I may start when at 105 lbs, but not yet. I did watch the video, I get the logic behind it, but I want to keep things simple. I will increase my calories once I have got to my goal, or at least near enough.

I think it only really stopped working as it should because firstly I had about three months (between Feb and May) where I ate very little, around 400-500 calories, (not through choice). Once I started eating back up to 1200+ from May onwards, my weight loss stalled and I haven't really lost anything since. Secondly, I tried intuitive eating for some days, which just resulted in weight gain. I'm sure if I stick to the 1300 or so calories I will start losing again. In the mean-time, I will up my calories for the one day to 1500.

Thanks for your help - I think it'll be even more beneficial later.
  • Sam29a
    Options
    leggup wrote: »

If you're not gaining or losing (over the course of several weeks), you're eating at maintenance right now.

I sure hope not!! :worried:
  • 90Ibs
    90Ibs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You need to take a diet break. I know it seems like that means you're gonna gain weight or your progress will be stalled, but it's already stalled since you haven't been losing. Your metabolism has slowed down both because of weight loss and because you've been eating very low amounts (especially at 400-500 calories, your body's going to slow its metabolism to keep you from starving). You need to up your intake so your metabolism speeds up again. You won't gain weight if you're still exercising and increasing the amount slowly (+100 cals/week).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sure. I aim for 1800 five days a week and 2500 two days a week in order to hit my real goal of 2000 average.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Look at how many people have recommended a diet break to you. Do you think it's possible we know what we're talking about? Srsly, look at Sardelsa and Trigden's physiques, they know their stuff. Did you even read the link I gave you on diet breaks that explains the physiological changes that happen eating at a deficit? If you want to keep spinning your wheels, that's your choice, but what you're doing right now isn't working, right? So what do you have to lose by taking the diet break?

I understand what everyone is saying, but I feel like I am so close to hitting my ultimate goal weight, I can't have a diet break now, I just cannot do that. I want to hurry up and get slim, I want to get this weight off, then start a proper strength training routine. I may start when at 105 lbs, but not yet. I did watch the video, I get the logic behind it, but I want to keep things simple. I will increase my calories once I have got to my goal, or at least near enough.

I think it only really stopped working as it should because firstly I had about three months (between Feb and May) where I ate very little, around 400-500 calories, (not through choice). Once I started eating back up to 1200+ from May onwards, my weight loss stalled and I haven't really lost anything since. Secondly, I tried intuitive eating for some days, which just resulted in weight gain. I'm sure if I stick to the 1300 or so calories I will start losing again. In the mean-time, I will up my calories for the one day to 1500.

You obviously don't understand what we're saying. Diet break article again, read it: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

This is keeping things simple. Your metabolism has slowed down due to being at a deficit for so long, you're likely holding a bunch of water weight from elevated cortisol, which will come off once that's lowered (and you lower it by taking a diet break). Chance are, your true weight is less than what the scale is reflecting. Hell, I'd only been back in a deficit for six weeks when I did a diet break, and even I dropped a lb of water weight.
  • sardelsa
    Options

With so little to lose, what does the weight on the scale matter really ? What is the rush all of a sudden? What does an ultimate goal weight even mean ? Will you be happy with your body composition if you lose that weight but look like a smaller version of yourself? Just some questions to think about.

If you start to incorporate proper strength training now, you will be better off as you will retain some of the muscle you have left and won't have to build it back up again (which is really slow and difficult, believe me). But at the end of the day, sometimes we all have to learn for ourselves find our own way. I get that.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options

Can somebody post a "banging my head against a wall" gif. I really should have one for these occasions, but I don't.