What is woo anyhoo

Vladaar
Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
I was under the impression woo is a good thing for a post to recieve and than I read about people negative comments about its use. All others are self explanatory but woo? After awesome in placement I assumed it was better than awesome.

Replies

• Vladaar
    LoL guessing many others click it thinking its good as well because no answer yet. I bet tons of members dont know.
  • Vladaar
    My first thought is that it's just like a battle cry. A hurrah. A cheer. It's the type of thing you might hear in a club when a good song comes on. Or when a favorite singer comes out on stage. I think it's a good thing. Doesn't appear to me any of the 5 are negative at all. They all have something positive about them. I would feel good about myself if I got a woo regarding my response.

Thanks maybe it is cheer I heard someone say something like all else is just woo. Like it was a bad thing.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Woo is basically bs. It's used to call out info that's just plain wrong. (ACV for weight loss = woo, for example)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,048 Member
    Nah, it's woo as in "it's a load of woo".

Basically, they added it and said it could be either (which is ridiculous, because having a button that can be either good or bad is just dumb). Now they're going to clarify to make clear that it means woo/bad science/bunkum/hooey. Which really won't clarify anything, because who's going to read it?

• Vladaar
    No wonder, but its poorly explained so people use it to say good job not realizing others think it is bs.
  • Vladaar
    edited October 2017
    10-4 sounds best bet is never use woo cause it is worthless in meaning.

Maybe it should be explained in stickied starting posts where they talk about like, awesome, insightful, inspiring?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I love collecting woos. This week I'm doing a coconut oil green smoothie detox cleanse. Who's with me?

Did you finally give up the ACV?
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    I figured people were using it as both a positive and a negative. I was curious, but not enough to ask, so ty for asking.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited October 2017
    Short for "woo woo", which basically means unfounded or ludicrous beliefs that run contrary to evidence, which (let's face it) we tend to see frequently in the weight loss and fitness world. You see it used frequently in science based forums. I ran across the term for the first time when I was still an undergraduate student and hung out online over at Science Blogs a ton.