How effective is at-home cardio?

Options
I do exclusively home workouts. My goal is just to be healthier and in better shape. I do a combination of cardio, HIIT (burpees, jumping lunges, squat jumps, high knees, mountain climbers, etc), strength training with dumbbells, and core workouts. I usually use Fitness Blender.

My question is this: are these workouts as effective as going to the gym and going on a cardio machine? I like home workouts because they are free, and also I get intimidated at the gym and am self-conscious. I push myself during these home workouts and do work up a good sweat.

Replies

• leonhnchan
    leonhnchan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's effective! I train exclusively at home too. I can't seem to justify gym fees. At home I can do it anytime with my own gym equipment. I do cardio at home or outdoors.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Comparison is the their of joy. You like home workouts and you don't have a specific good in mind like winning a race or lifting a specific amount. Your goal is general health and fitness and exercising is definitely helping with that. A gym routine may or may not be more effective for some things but it's not like not going is holding you back.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    They are as effective as you make them. Are you challenging yourself? Is your routine reasonably well-rounded? Are your exercises reasonably well-suited to your goals? If so, then you're probably just fine.

Cardio at home isn't dramatically different than cardio at the gym, so that's probably a wash. A big benefit to a commercial gym is on the strength side with all the additional equipment available. That doesn't mean the gym is inherently better, but it is worth noting.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You are already doing great workouts so just keep it challenging and constantly push yourself. The world is your gym so just get out there. Don't confine yourself inside a building when the outdoors is so much more rewarding.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight intervals are always going to be more effective all round physical conditioning than machines with a single range of motion. And they need you to think more which is never a bad thing.

But it comes down to what you enjoy. Any exercise is good for your health and you're doing a mix of strength and cardio which is perfect from a health perspective.

I use Fitness Blender too and thoroughly enjoy it. Just bought my 4th I think schedule/program from them.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "How effective is at-home cardio?" You get out of it what you put into it. Location is of no moment.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You get out what you put in...location doesn't matter...you can have a *kitten* workout at the gym and a *kitten* workout at home...you can have a kick *kitten* workout in the gym or a kick *kitten* workout at home...I don't know why you think location would matter...what matters is the work you're putting in or not putting in.

Pretty much all of my cardio is out on the road on my bike...or on my indoor bike trainer when the weather requires it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I have a Concept 2 rower and a LeMond RevMaster Pro spin bike at home.

These are found in many gyms. Anything I do on them at home is exactly what I would do at the gym.
  • Losinandmovin
    Losinandmovin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The workout your enjoy and will do consistently is the best workout! If you like home workouts: go for it. If you're getting variety and mixing up the activities, you're working various muscles and keeping your body working for you! You really don't need to spend a cent to exercise: walking, burpees, crunches, yoga, Pilates, running: you decide what you can stick to and off you go!
    I do exclusively home workouts. My goal is just to be healthier and in better shape. I do a combination of cardio, HIIT (burpees, jumping lunges, squat jumps, high knees, mountain climbers, etc), strength training with dumbbells, and core workouts. I usually use Fitness Blender.

My question is this: are these workouts as effective as going to the gym and going on a cardio machine? I like home workouts because they are free, and also I get intimidated at the gym and am self-conscious. I push myself during these home workouts and do work up a good sweat.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Cardio machines in a gym are not necessary to make cardio effective. If I do DVDs or online videos(like kickboxing or T 25, etc...), walk on my own treadmill, or go for a run outside, is it somehow less effective because I'm not in a gym? I mostly only use the gym for weights, because I don't have the equipment at home. The place does not make the exercise more or less effective...just what you do and how you do it.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    All excersises are effective in their own way. A great verity of exercise is more effective for over all body health. Where you exercise is not as important as accountability is to yourself.
    Stick to where and what you like because that's what you will continue to do.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The gym is not magical. And repetitive steady state exercise on cardio machines is one of the least efficient ways to burn calories and increase fitness.

Fitness Blender makes some good videos. But the real question is, are you seeing improvements in your conditioning? Are you happy with your results?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I do Fitness Blender workouts and I feel much more fitter!
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think they're better. Home workouts often tend to be on the side of total body workouts whereas, at the gym, you focus on one body part per machine.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,041 Member
    Options
    My non-gym cardio workouts consist of long brisk walks and even longer bicycle rides. :)