Am I over-eating or under-eating?

Options
I’m fairly new to the calorie-counting/dieting world so I’m still learning and reading a lot. I find these threads extremely helpful and I’d love any input or experiences you can share! My question is around calorie intake, but I added some reference below to help!

I would consider myself a pretty active person. I used to be all cardio (running, swimming, triathlons, etc.) but after some injuries and realizing that’s not the best route, I’ve switched to focusing more on weight training. I don’t run anymore due to an injury, but do an incline walk for steady state cardio for 1-2 times per week. I incorporate HIIT in the form of stairmaster, spin, or tabatas at least 3 times per week. I weight train about 4 times per week—either heavy and slow, or in the form of something like BBG (fast circuits). I also try to throw in yoga at least once per week and have started doing more yoga sculpt classes.

Sometimes I work out twice per day. In an average week, I probably exercise 7-10 hours.

When I first started counting calories, I used some free online calculators and was shooting for 2100-2200 calories per day. I also changed up my workout at that time and did notice more definition—but I wanted more fat loss. I recalculated and have been holding steady at 1900-2000 calories—I haven’t noticed any change to my body. My question is—am I over-eating or under-eating? It seems like I’m at the point where a couple 100 calories would make a huge difference in my progress.

Macros tend to be 23-25% P, 31-34% F, 39-43% carbs.

For reference, I’m female, 27 years old, 5’5, 135 pounds. I’ve had my body fat taken a few times but it’s all over the place, anywhere from 20-24%.

Thank you!!

Replies

• MS26721
    MS26721 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I decreased calorie intake with no result--if anything, gained weight
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    MS26721 wrote: »
    I decreased calorie intake with no result--if anything, gained weight

How accurate is your logging? Using the food scale for ALL solids? Measuring cups/spoons for ALL liquids? Using accurate entries? Using the recipe builder? Being conservative with exercise calories? Logging everything that passes your lips?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    If you've recently made changes to your workouts, you may be retaining some fluid from that, which will mask fat loss. Give it more time.
  • MS26721
    MS26721 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't use exercise calories. I eat the same ~1900 no matter how much I exercise or on rest days
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You likely got no change with decreasing calories because of cortisol. You are weight training multiple times per week and doing HIIT 3 times per week plus walking. Both HIIT and weight training create a certain amount of stress to your system and central nervous system. Cut the HIIT and just do 2 to 3 low impact cardio sessions like the walking you describe. Cortisol and stress will slow weight loss. You are overdoing it and that is counter productive. Rest and recovery are just as important as the work phase of exercise.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this 1900? Are you looking at long term weight trends or just day to day? What are your ultimate goals?

At 5'5" and 135 lbs you are already at a healthy weight. Any further changes will be and should be very slow to minimize muscle lose and achieve optimal body composition.

I am losing weight very slowly (because I like food). If I didn't plot my daily weights in excel, I wouldn't even notice a loss. My deficit is very small so I have to be pretty accurate with my logging or I have NO deficit.
  • Lesscookies
    Lesscookies Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight...
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    you didn't answer the key question above - are you weighing everything you eat??
  • MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    How long exactly have you been doing this? You're fairly new, so I'd say come back and complain in 4 weeks. Otherwise, give it time.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Are you gaining weight? Then you're over-eating.
    Are you losing weight too rapidly? Then you're under-eating.
    Are you maintaining weight? Then you're eating at maintenance.

The above is the basic answer in a nutshell. You can't determine this in one day or even one week. You may have some idea after one month. It may be longer. And it will change. As you lose or gain weight your calorie needs change. As you age, your calorie needs change. As your weight changes your activity level is likely to change without your noticing it. A major driver of short term weight gain or loss is water retention. This is affected by sodium consumption, exercise, hormones, ambient temperature & humidity, etc.

A "couple of hundred" calories one way or the other will make a difference but not a huge difference. As a rule of thumb, you can equate 3500 calories to a pound. Therefore, to lose 1 pound you need to eat at a 3500 calorie deficit on average over time. Eat at a 3500 calorie deficit for a week and you should lose about 1 pound. Remember, of course, that that exact pound may not show on the scale. You might gain a pound of water that seemingly erases it or loose a couple pounds of water that doubles it. You have to look at it long term -- several weeks or months -- to see a trend.