green tea

Options
I bought some lipton pure green tea (not the kind in the bottles). Anyway, I heard if you drink a cup of green tea a day it will help build up your metabolism....is this true?

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Im not sure of the science behind it but I have heard it from multiple sources. Its also a natural detoxer and helps to flush toxins out of your system.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just started drinking green tea last week when I had a cold, now using it to replace coffee in the morning. Not sure of metabolism benefits but I feel better than with coffee, I add homeade ginger syrup to it and its great for the stomach.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's been shown in studies. Don't expect noticable results though.
    There's also caffeine, taurine, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, ginger, spicy food and cla that studies have shown to increase fat burn.

Notice I said shown, not proven. Taking these studies seriously is a matter of opinion, and I invite everyone to check them out and analyse their methodology and conclusions.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing. So what I've done is make my own green iced tea. Take 10 cups of boiled water, two tea bags and let it steep for a few minutes. Remove tea bags and add some sugar to taste. I use about 1 tsp for the whole batch. Then add a bit of lemon juice to taste as well. I have a glass jug that I make it in and onces it's been cooled in the fridge for awhile, I pour it into a plastic jug. I find it quite refreshing on the hot days!
  • crystalnicole27
    crystalnicole27 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I read an article that said green tea helps cut down on belly fat. That and fresly ground black pepper. Since I certainly can use any help in the belly fat department right now, I've been using both. I feel like I got a better jolt from regular coffee though.
  • ncgatorfan
    ncgatorfan Posts: 517
    Options
    Just started drinking green tea last week when I had a cold, now using it to replace coffee in the morning. Not sure of metabolism benefits but I feel better than with coffee, I add homeade ginger syrup to it and its great for the stomach.

How do you make homemade ginger syrup and how many calories is it?
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    I heard this too, so I started drinking it a few weeks ago. I try and drink 3-4 cups a day. Haven't noticed any difference except needing to wee all the time!

Still, it makes me feel healthy just by drinking it haha!
  • bgmomof3boys
    Options
    tea's are great for weight loss. google it and you'll find lots of info... I drink oolong tea every morning and know that it helps with weight loss. I get mine from teavana... the sales associates are a bit snooty but they know what there tea info! check out that website too! they even have dieters teas! when I first started drinking teavana oolong every day about 5 times a day I dropped 5 pounds in one week! ... of course I cut out coffee almost completely! good luck
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

How do you make homemade ginger syrup and how many calories is it?

Just started making it, stole a recipe offline and its wicked simple.

1 Ginger root 3inches or so long
    1 cup Sugar
    1 cup water

Slice up the ginger really thin, throw everything into a pot and bring to a boil. Once it boils turn down the heat, and I let it simmer for about 30-45 minutes. Then pour through a strain or something to get rid of the ginger peices (if you peel it first, this is easier), and you're done.

There is a "simple syrup" already in MFP, I use that for counting calories. Beware though, a little goes a long way, 1tbsp was too much.
  • prettylittlechubby
    Options
    I drink approx 5-6 cups a day everyday for about the last year and I havent noticed any chance or anything really, I just enjoy it more than normal tea.

It is esp good after a meal as it eases the bloaty feeling though x