Going by weekly calories is making me gain weight

Options
I have a weekly calorie allowance and ever since I started counting calories that way by weighing and measuring, I've been gaining weight. Is this a bad way to maintain?

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    idk319 wrote: »
    I have a weekly calorie allowance and ever since I started counting calories that way by weighing and measuring, I've been gaining weight. Is this a bad way to maintain?

No, that should be okay. Ultimately, the most important thing is to have a Calorie Deficit.

Are you sure you're counting the calories accurately? Do you have a deficit at the end of the week, or at the end of most days?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    What are your daily and weekly calorie goals?
    How much have you gained over how many weeks?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    You haven't said how long you have been in maintenance. Increasing calories can often lead to a scale weight gain from additional mass in your gut and additional fluid retention. It settles out after a week or two. If you continue to notice that you are gaining weight, then you have set your maintenance level too high for you (and how you are calculating calories-in and -out).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

How much weight in what time frame?

What are your stats?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

No, that should be okay. Ultimately, the most important thing is to have a Calorie Deficit.

Are you sure you're counting the calories accurately? Do you have a deficit at the end of the week, or at the end of most days?

The what now?!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Then reduce your allowance.
    No it's not a bad way to maintain but if you haven't found your calorie balance then you aren't going to maintain.
    Apart from "eat less or move more" not sure what advice you are hoping for?

(I'm assuming this is over a significant timescale not just one or two weeks but you haven't mentioned how long or how much and if this is a real trend or a fluctuation.....)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    weekly logging is fine, as long as you are in deficit.
  • idk319
    idk319 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 126 lbs,
    I am gaining a lot of fat on my hips and thighs.
    I maintain on 1700 calories a day, sometimes I eat 1800-1900 and exercise for one hour.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 126 lbs,
    I maintain on 1700 calories a day, sometimes I eat 1800-1900 and exercise for one hour.

Your BMI is 19, close to being unhealthy.

How old are you?

How long have you been in maintenance?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 126 lbs,

How old are you? Girls develop hips as they get older.