Fat intake?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just want to put this out here that I wish people understood what the word woo means when it comes to posts cuz I think people think that they're cheering

it means both cheering and highlighting utter tosh...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I just want to put this out here that I wish people understood what the word woo means when it comes to posts cuz I think people think that they're cheering

I think some people also use it sarcastically "well woo-hoo for you" I believe it will be clarified soon
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I think some people also use it sarcastically "well woo-hoo for you" I believe it will be clarified soon

MFP wont make a negative feedback button though, surely!? cos we're all sweetness and light and unicorn farts aren't we?!
  • Tariq_1997
    Tariq_1997 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Tariq_1997 wrote: »
    whats wrong with MFPs default macros?

It tells me to eat 50% carbs and 30% protein and 20% fat.
    50% of my daily intake is 300 grams of carbs, that's what it shows

So, to lose 1lb per week (which is a completely realistic goal), mfp recommends you eat 2400 calories. Why then did you decide to eat 1500?

Stop restricting yourself - it may seem like a good plan to have such a big deficit, but in the long term it's probably going to cause more issues than its worth! Eat a sensible amount of protein, sufficient fat, and don't be scared of carbs.

Yeah it recommended 2400 cal a week and lots of carbs and saturated fat and that's what i was scated of. No one recommends saturated fat in a fat loss diet.
    And yeah i was having dinner now lol and i was so hungry so i had a 500 grams of grilled chicken with 1 slice of vegeterian pizza and 250 grams of salad.
    I'm having like 20 grams of fat a day.
  • Tariq_1997
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Hasn't someone posted this link for you already?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Why on earth a big and young man is restricting to only 1500 cals is beyond me though. Fix your calories and your macros may well look after themselves.

I must've missed it, on this app it showed mr that i need to eat 300 grams of carbs a day to lose 1 lb a week. Do you really agree with eating that amount? And 75 grams of fat!

YES! If that puts you into a calorie deficit.

Until you get that ultra simple and really basic point you will continue to be lost in a sea of vague feelings that carbs or fat are bad or can somehow keep you fat when you are in a deficit.

Question
    Why do Dieticians tell their fat clients to cut fat or carbs or both?

Answer
    To put them into a calorie deficit.

Question
    Why did you get fat?

Answer
    You ate too many calories.

You're 100% right, the one about the fat and carbs,, yeah that's why i'm eating less carbs and fat.
    Eg: 30 minutes ago i had my dinner, it was a 500 grams of grilled chicken breasts with 250 grams of salad and 1 slice of vegeterian pizza, and i didn't feel guilty cause i know it's healthy
  • Tariq_1997
    Options

So, to lose 1lb per week (which is a completely realistic goal), mfp recommends you eat 2400 calories. Why then did you decide to eat 1500?

Stop restricting yourself - it may seem like a good plan to have such a big deficit, but in the long term it's probably going to cause more issues than its worth! Eat a sensible amount of protein, sufficient fat, and don't be scared of carbs.

Yeah it recommended 2400 cal a week and lots of carbs and saturated fat and that's what i was scated of. No one recommends saturated fat in a fat loss diet.
    And yeah i was having dinner now lol and i was so hungry so i had a 500 grams of grilled chicken with 1 slice of vegeterian pizza and 250 grams of salad.
    Who is "no one"? That wouldn't be those who scare you? YOU HAVE TO EAT ENOUGH AND THAT INCLUDES FAT, AND SATURATED FAT AND CARBS ARE NOT EVIL. EATING TOO MUCH IS WHAT MADE YOU GAIN WEIGHT.

20 grams of fat is terribly, dangerously low.

Have you considered why you may be so hungry that you want to binge? Have you tried to figure out if that is healthy?

I was checking and doing some researches on the internet and found the the saturated fat is dangerous for the heart and can cause heart attacks if eaten in huge amounts, and because my doctor said to me that i might get diabetes if i keep that weight so i thought it's better to eat less carbs and fats so i can loss the weight faster. You'll never know i mean,, but really i'm too young to have diabetes.
    Thanks
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Who is "no one"? That wouldn't be those who scare you? YOU HAVE TO EAT ENOUGH AND THAT INCLUDES FAT, AND SATURATED FAT AND CARBS ARE NOT EVIL. EATING TOO MUCH IS WHAT MADE YOU GAIN WEIGHT.

Have you considered why you may be so hungry that you want to binge? Have you tried to figure out if that is healthy?

I was checking and doing some researches on the internet and found the the saturated fat is dangerous for the heart and ]can cause heart attacks if eaten in huge amounts, and because my doctor said to me that i might get diabetes if i keep that weight so i thought it's better to eat less carbs and fats so i can loss the weight faster. You'll never know i mean,, but really i'm too young to have diabetes.
    Thanks
    Internet research can lead to the conclusion that the earth is flat, too. You have to understand what you are reading and hearing: can cause does not mean will cause, and if eaten in huge amounts means that normal amounts will not have the effect. When your doctor told you to lose weight, he disn't specify HOW you should do it, but I imagine that he didn't mean you should do it unhealthily. You lose weight when you reduce calories. You are NOT supposed to lose weight too fast. Too fast = unhealthy. You will NOT lose weight faster by cutting any particular macro group or nutrients. What's effective, is whatever you can stick to for the long haul. Humans NEED a certain minimum of a range of nutrients every day, the amounts are pretty universally based on metrics such as sex, age, height, weight, activity level. Individuals LIKE somewhat different menus and lifestyles, and you can do what you like. But you should NOT pursue something you THINK YOU HAVE TO DO that you hate and also IN FACT UNHEALTHY. Educate yourself. You do that by being open when people try to tell you reasonable things, not by reading woo and scaremongering.
  • Tariq_1997
    Options
    Yeah it recommended 2400 cal a week - sounds about right for your size. I'm about 76kg and would lose weight on that.

and lots of carbs - what's wrong with that? Vegetables, grains and fruit are all carbs.

and saturated fat - false, it gives a fat goal not a saturated fat goal

and that's what i was scared of - why precisely?

No one recommends saturated fat in a fat loss diet. - false. Don't know where you get you information from but it clearly isn't everyone! Do you realise that some people have extraordinary high percentages of fat in their diet (60 - 80%) and can still lose weight?

And yeah i was having dinner now lol and i was so hungry so i had a 500 grams of grilled chicken with 1 slice of vegeterian pizza and 250 grams of salad. - "So hungry" indicates an inappropriate calorie goal don't you think?

I'm having like 20 grams of fat a day. - That's awful and far too low for health for someone your size.

So as a person who works out like you and in your opinion if i eat 2400 calories i can still loss weight?
    Yes there are carbs in fruits, herbs and grains but it's not like breads and seeds that are high in carbs, that's why i avoid eating lots, so i'm doing about 100 grams of carbs a day.
    Saturated fats cause heart disease that's why i eat about 3-4 grams a day.
    I understand that some people eat less carbs and have more fat or else and still loss weight.
    I'm just waiting for a bit of time to start hitting the gym and work hard so i can change all my diet and start having more of these foods.
    And i was hungry because i had to go shopping all the day and i came back and had 500 grams of chicken with salad and one slice of vegeterian pizza.
    What do you think of that as a 8:00 pm dinner?
    Cheers
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Why on earth a big and young man is restricting to only 1500 cals is beyond me though. Fix your calories and your macros may well look after themselves.

I must've missed it, on this app it showed mr that i need to eat 300 grams of carbs a day to lose 1 lb a week. Do you really agree with eating that amount? And 75 grams of fat!

Until you get that ultra simple and really basic point you will continue to be lost in a sea of vague feelings that carbs or fat are bad or can somehow keep you fat when you are in a deficit.

Question

Answer

Question
    Why did you get fat?

Answer

You're 100% right, the one about the fat and carbs,, yeah that's why i'm eating less carbs and fat.
    Eg: 30 minutes ago i had my dinner, it was a 500 grams of grilled chicken breasts with 250 grams of salad and 1 slice of vegeterian pizza, and i didn't feel guilty cause i know it's healthy
    You still don't get it - just having fun? Don't feel guilty for eating, don't feel guilty for enjoying what you eat. But 500 grams of chicken breast is almost over-consumption, and that should make you feel guilty. Too much of anything over time is not healthy, and too little of what you need is also unhealthy. You need variety. More fat, not so much lean meat.
  • Tariq_1997
    Options

I was checking and doing some researches on the internet and found the the saturated fat is dangerous for the heart and ]can cause heart attacks if eaten in huge amounts, and because my doctor said to me that i might get diabetes if i keep that weight so i thought it's better to eat less carbs and fats so i can loss the weight faster. You'll never know i mean,, but really i'm too young to have diabetes.
    Thanks
    Internet research can lead to the conclusion that the earth is flat, too. You have to understand what you are reading and hearing: can cause does not mean will cause, and if eaten in huge amounts means that normal amounts will not have the effect. When your doctor told you to lose weight, he disn't specify HOW you should do it, but I imagine that he didn't mean you should do it unhealthily. You lose weight when you reduce calories. You are NOT supposed to lose weight too fast. Too fast = unhealthy. You will NOT lose weight faster by cutting any particular macro group or nutrients. What's effective, is whatever you can stick to for the long haul. Humans NEED a certain minimum of a range of nutrients every day, the amounts are pretty universally based on metrics such as sex, age, height, weight, activity level. Individuals LIKE somewhat different menus and lifestyles, and you can do what you like. But you should NOT pursue something you THINK YOU HAVE TO DO that you hate and also IN FACT UNHEALTHY. Educate yourself. You do that by being open when people try to tell you reasonable things, not by reading woo and scaremongering.

Man you're right and you keep me motivated everytime i feel like *kitten*.
    My doctor told me to eat carbs in the morning with protein. And not to eat carbs after 6 and i'll loss the weight and ofcourse with exercising.
    I'm still looming for healthy diets on the internet and i couldn't find anything that fits me. And yeah tbh i never took someones advice, and i admit that i'm not losing the weight in a healthy way. I am educated lol but i'm confused about how to calculate
  • Tariq_1997
    Options

Question

Answer

Question
    Why did you get fat?

Answer

You still don't get it - just having fun? Don't feel guilty for eating, don't feel guilty for enjoying what you eat. But 500 grams of chicken breast is almost over-consumption, and that should make you feel guilty. Too much of anything over time is not healthy, and too little of what you need is also unhealthy. You need variety. More fat, not so much lean meat.

So now i'm learning new thing.. i thought if i have big amounts of lean meats that are high in protein and low in fat and carbs is alright and healthy..
    Yesterday i had 330 grams of fillet which doesn't have carbs but has 4.5 grams of saturated fats.
  • Tariq_1997
    Options
    Yeah it recommended 2400 cal a week - sounds about right for your size. I'm about 76kg and would lose weight on that.

and lots of carbs - what's wrong with that? Vegetables, grains and fruit are all carbs.

and saturated fat - false, it gives a fat goal not a saturated fat goal

and that's what i was scared of - why precisely?

No one recommends saturated fat in a fat loss diet. - false. Don't know where you get you information from but it clearly isn't everyone! Do you realise that some people have extraordinary high percentages of fat in their diet (60 - 80%) and can still lose weight?

And yeah i was having dinner now lol and i was so hungry so i had a 500 grams of grilled chicken with 1 slice of vegeterian pizza and 250 grams of salad. - "So hungry" indicates an inappropriate calorie goal don't you think?

I'm having like 20 grams of fat a day. - That's awful and far too low for health for someone your size.

So as a person who works out like you and in your opinion if i eat 2400 calories i can still loss weight?
    Yes there are carbs in fruits, herbs and grains but it's not like breads and seeds that are high in carbs, that's why i avoid eating lots, so i'm doing about 100 grams of carbs a day.
    Saturated fats cause heart disease that's why i eat about 3-4 grams a day.
    I understand that some people eat less carbs and have more fat or else and still loss weight.
    I'm just waiting for a bit of time to start hitting the gym and work hard so i can change all my diet and start having more of these foods.
    And i was hungry because i had to go shopping all the day and i came back and had 500 grams of chicken with salad and one slice of vegeterian pizza.
    What do you think of that as a 8:00 pm dinner?
    Cheers

I think it's really sad that you hold on to so many myths and misunderstandings about food.
    At this point I'm wondering if there's anything anyone would say to you would actually dispel the strange ideas you hold so dear and with such certainty.
    I've got nothing more to add that hasn't already been said apart from wishing you good luck, you are going to need it.

Thanks mate i appreciate everything you said trying to help, hopefully in few weeks everything will be sorted to me and i'll be living the lifestyle i've always wanted.
    Cheers