Gym etiquette

Options
Hi

Looking for some insight into gym etiquette. I work out at my office gym, which is kind of like a big hotel gym. I have been running on the treadmill but want to start using weights. There is a nice selection of free weights/barbells in a corner and a single weight bench as well as some weight machines.

The situation: there is a guy who camps out at the barbell station. He spreads his towel out on the bench and mostly sits and plays with his phone. Every 5-10 minutes he does some weights or does calisthenics (while leaving his towel & water bottle at the barbell station). This goes on for at least 50 minutes. I know, because I've been trying to get in there to try the barbells. What do you do in this situation? Should I just say excuse me and point to the weights while he's sitting there? It's pretty tight so unless he moves I would have to carry the weights to another spot. And how do I ask to use the bench?

Also - I'm pretty much the only woman who uses the gym!

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Replies

• MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Don’t be afraid, just ask him if you could grab the weights and work in some sets. Strike up a conversation with him, especially if he is there all the time. Otherwise it would be totally awkward for you.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Politely go over and say, "Excuse me, are you still using this barbell station?" If this person is obviously not then they know it. They should move aside and let you use it at that point. Maybe this is a clueless Clyde who doesn't think anyone else wants to use this station. If this persists maybe take it up with a manager. Likely they can at least post a notice asking others not to camp out on a station they aren't using.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask him if you can work in. He might be taking breaks between sets and maybe you can do your thing whilst he’s breaking.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what are you trying to do? do you need the bench or just the space?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    He should allow you to "work in" (let you get your set in while he is resting between his sets). Since you haven't asked, he may be unaware that you are looking to work in. He may just be too self involved to notice you standing there. Ask, ("mind if I work in?") the worse that can happen is he'll be a boar and say no.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I agree. Politely just ask if he is using the bench. He is likely oblivious to the fact someone other than him may want it.
    If he is a jerk about it well that is a whole other ballgame. Keep us posted.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Do your non-bench stuff first (like overhead press, squats, etc). When he sees you enter the space, he might give space/get out of the way without a word. If you need the bench, say, "mind if i work in?" which means you work in a set while he's on his 'rest.' It is typical to do set, rest, set rest etc and it's also common to let someone else 'work in' a set while you rest. If it were me and he was laying out a towel, I would wipe it down before using the bench.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Agree with above posters. You deserve to be there as much as he does. Just either ask to get the weights while he is sitting there or if you want to use the bench, ask to work in sets with him. thats a very normal thing at gyms. Don't be shy.
  • hankela
    hankela Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone! I'll give it a try. Obviously I'm a bit nervous about the whole weights thing. My plan is weighted squats, rows, some barbell presses (which I would need the bench for). Maybe I'll leave those for later/last.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    hankela wrote: »
    Maybe I'll leave those for later/last.

no, do your routine. you have just as much right to be in there doing your routine as it's written, as he has.

chances are excellent that all it's going to take is asking the guy one of the suggested things here. don't let this little thing bump you into an 'accommodating' kind of state. breathe deep, remind yourself you dont' have to apologize or explain yourself in the least when you approach him, and do it. act as if you have a right to be there, even if you're not inwardly sure that you do.

cuz you do.

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Ask to 'work in'. Probably thinks since you never go there that its ok for him to claim the bench. My gyms are small and we have to share all the time, usually an opportunity for some simple friendly conversation. It really isn't polite of him to claim the bench though, especially since there are limited.
    I used to ask about their workout, their .....whatever it took to break the ice and sneak myself in for a set.