Anyone hypothyroid?

Options
2»

Replies

• charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Dxed hypothyroid in May 2015. Started levothyroxine (synthetic t4). T3 & T4 continued to plummet as did my energy. I was dieting and eating low carb and low fat. Started Armour (NDT T3+T4) in August and finally energy improved and weight started falling off while I kept up my routine of intense cardio 7 days a week and eating 1650-1900 calories. THEN Armour's manufacturer changed and everything went to s***. I gained weight back rapidly, felt lethargic, thyroid numbers worsened. I got frustrated and went off all meds convincing myself I was better off without. 2 years and 60 lbs later I went from a size 2 to a size 14-16. I'm back on Armour and dieting, working out very hard and eating 1800 calories daily. I'm losing 1 lb a MONTH and wake up exhausted. My endo won't prescribe WP Thyroid, which apparently is formulated like the old Armour. Wish I had better news to give. Its a long road ahead.
  • sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree, take the meds. I am hypo as well, and my hair loss and weight gain go away while I'm on them and my levels are inline. Those side effects you mentioned do not have to do with the meds but the underlying hypo itself. Did you see an Endo or just your primary? See an Endo.
    I am 10mos postpartum, have lost all my baby weight and more for a total of 27lbs. I still have 31lbs more go to be in the normal BMI range but I have not been in that range since college. I feel CICO and tracking have held me more accountable then any other thing I have used prior.
  • livingfree44
    livingfree44 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your insight.
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've been on Armour thyroid for several years and have had absolutely no negative side effects.
  • tammi65
    tammi65 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ihave hypothyroidism and have lost quite a bit .
  • loriann42
    loriann42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with Graves in 1995. I was hyperthyroid until I had the radioactive iodine. I went on synthroid which controlled everything fine until menopause hit about 10 years ago. The weight gain has been steady while I've gone through many med adjustments. I now take .175 Synthroid and am able to lose weight again. Hair loss and other side effects are only prominent when I am not on enough. Please take the Meds.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Number is 4.2..yes I had complete thyroid panel done...free t3 t4..etc..i had been following a support group on Facebook and keep hearing horror stories about hair loss and weight gain on the meds and have to follow a keto plan..which I think will be tough long term. Just contemplating whether I should dive in and take a med or not. My Dr wanted to put me on one right away...my naturopath thought so too..but we opted for a thyroid supplement instead. My 71 year old mother has been on medication for hypothyroidism since she was 22.

The weight gain happens when you’re not medicated, not because you are. It’s a symptom of untreated hypothyroidism.

Been hypo for a long time and my side effects from the disease disappeared with the meds, which included weight gain.

I lost almost 120 pounds without keto, eating lots of carbs. There’s no one way of doing something to lose weight. Keto works well for some folks, but if not you—no problem!

You do have a medical condition that should be treated with medicine. A supplement will not fix it. Weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, insulin resistance, High cholesterol and high blood pressure are all possible if you don’t get appropriate medical treatment.

Please take care of yourself! And find a different Facebook group.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Hair loss and weight gain are symptoms of untreated hypothyroidism, not of the medication. I've been on it for a few months now and my eyebrows are back, it's nice. Hair still thin though, it's going to take time to regrow.

There's also no reason to eat keto. All taking medication does is replace what your body should naturally be making. If your dosage is correct it should be exactly like being a normal healthy person.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    OP, try to take these "groups" with a grain of salt. I am on a Facebook group for a different condition. I'm on it because it's fairly rare and I'm looking to find out what doctors specialize, but oh my goodness, the misinformation and butchered science that's being presented there is ridiculous. Also note that with support groups such as these (and I've very active on a thyroid listserv), they attract people who are experiencing the worst issues. They attribute a lot of those issues to their "condition" but often it's not due to that at all. Granted, there is a percentage of the population who cannot tolerate XX medication in a certain form, but that is the exception not the norm.

I am a very "sensitive" person. Can't take ibuprofen, can't drink alcohol, can't take many things because I'm a poor metabolizer. But, synthetic thyroid hormones have not ever been a problem for me unless I was taking too much of them. I've had my T3 tested routinely and I am not one of those people that needs a combo thyroid med, so it's been fine. I've never gained weight from them, and I've never lost hair.

One thing about the hair loss: if you have any dramatic shift in thyroid hormones (up or down) your body can react by dropping hair. So sometimes people do notice changes when they start something new or change dosages, but it's temporary. You will, for sure, lose hair if you don't treat hypothyroidism long term.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I take Nature Thyroid for low thyroid (which is naturally dissected hormone-Synthoid did nothing to relieve symptoms) it works great for me-no side effects- have lost 15 pounds in about 11 weeks, no problem, and I mostly just walk for exercise(60 min.)- it takes a while for your body to adjust-before medication I was always exhausted, hair falling out, always in a fog- I also eat a really healthy whole food diet (a few splurges on occasion).
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Number is 4.2..yes I had complete thyroid panel done...free t3 t4..etc..i had been following a support group on Facebook and keep hearing horror stories about hair loss and weight gain on the meds and have to follow a keto plan..which I think will be tough long term. Just contemplating whether I should dive in and take a med or not. My Dr wanted to put me on one right away...my naturopath thought so too..but we opted for a thyroid supplement instead. My 71 year old mother has been on medication for hypothyroidism since she was 22.

The weight gain happens when you’re not medicated, not because you are. It’s a symptom of untreated hypothyroidism.

Been hypo for a long time and my side effects from the disease disappeared with the meds, which included weight gain.

I lost almost 120 pounds without keto, eating lots of carbs. There’s no one way of doing something to lose weight. Keto works well for some folks, but if not you—no problem!

You do have a medical condition that should be treated with medicine. A supplement will not fix it. Weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, insulin resistance, High cholesterol and high blood pressure are all possible if you don’t get appropriate medical treatment.

Please take care of yourself! And find a different Facebook group.

Yep, yep, yep-couldn't agree more-

• Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The meds totally help with symptoms (once you get the one that works for you and your body has had time to adjust). Way more energy, which means more desire to exercise which helps with weight loss. I also have considerably fewer cravings (I am not trying to eat the salt shaker anymore). My biggest issue now is losing slow enough that my meds can be adjusted as my body changes. I try for .5 pounds a week. When I was losing 1.5-2 I was basically ending up hyperthyroid and that isn’t good either. I’m currently on maintenance break so my meds and body can get into agreement again. I am down 30 and have 50ish to go.