season change impacting results

Options
Does anyone else find season change into fall/winter a difficult time to maintain the routine and rate of weight loss you established during the summer months? I'm finding the shorter daylight hours and rainier weather effect my motivation and the colder weather makes me want to eat more comforting foods. During the summer months I was excited to ride my bike to work everyday and it was too hot to eat heavy so I naturally wanted lighter meals. I've kept logging and portioning and I've kept making an effort to walk at least partway to/from work, and on my lunch breaks. But I seem to have stalled over the past 3 weeks and I don't think it's just TOMS related water weight anymore. That *should* be whooshing off by now.

How do you deal with season change? Does anyone reset their plans and routines to adapt? I think I need to hit the reset button and work out a set of habits that are going to be sustainable throughout the winter months. This probably means getting into an indoor gym routine if I don't want to force myself to be a cold weather cyclist. What changes do you make for fall/winter?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Check any dietary changes to make sure your winter diet isn't saltier. That would account for some water pounds. You could also be getting on the scale in heavier clothes. Then you may want to try some light therapy. I just used my Ott light that I got for crafts and use it while I'm on the computer. It seems to help. Finally, look for lower calorie comforting foods. Winter squashes and soups fit the bill.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Creating a "winter" routine is a must for me. It involves being a lot stricter with my logging and calorie limits because I'm doing less incidental movement, changing my diet to accomodate different cravings and finding a way to keep my exercise routine going indoors (gym, you-tube programs, bike trainer, treadmill). I also use light therapy after we go off daylight savings, and that makes a big difference for me too.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    First, if you have not changed your activities/exercise habits and have been in a consistent calorie deficit, give it more time. Its working and a drop is around the corner.

Consistency in your routine is key. Its pitch black outside and colder too, I go out and workout it any ways. Maybe come up with a winter time/indoor exercise routine that works better for you.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am facing this now. I've been doing Couch 2 5K and the dwindling daylight after work is really putting the pressure on. Also, the fruits that I tend to snack on are no longer very good (watermelon, blueberries, honeydew) and the fruits in season seem to be higher calorie (bananas, honeycrisp apples, etc).
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    iv fallen into a routine of walk walk walk lift lift lift at work and on non work days i just cant be bothered to move from bed. This coming from a girl who averaged 10 miles a day walking for over a year. For me though i think its more im just burned out and i like where im at relatively. Sort of like why i believe people regain, They get comfortable and just downward spiral back stepping into bad habits thinking they earned it and did the work and can relax now without the motivation of needing to lose the weight pushing them. Part of why we tell newbies to practice life changes :p

So yes, I have been movign less. The motivation to go out in the rain is just not there. And the junk food cravings hit hard iv been eating a donut for breakfast daily and icecream nighly for the past month or so cravings have been awful. Iv accepted it at this point and have tried to shift my mindset to just craving control and minimizing damage. Swapping 1 meal a day out for a donut helped me, And got my butt out moving to timmies, Which by the time i was out most the time im like well mise will keep moving a bit i guess. I know my laziness and the amount id do for food and take advantage LOL.

Iv also taken to trying out new things with coffee. Gives me different tastes for low-no calories and keeps my mouth and hands busy and nothing quite like a warm delicious beverage in the belly. I like mixing it with splenda and cranberry pop - Or cocoa powder and peppermint drops. Im waiting until i dont feel STARVING to look into some recipes i can make in single portions to eat a little healthier thn a donut but its hard with no fridge xD

Basically, Im treating this fall/winter as practice for every fall and winter after it. Im trying to be kind to myself, focusing on not gaining but even if i do a few pounds will be back off by next summer easily iv lost 110 pounds if i gain 5 back its not the end of my world. So far iv managed to even lose another pound. Listening to what my body wants with the changes and learning how to adapt what i can when i can without overly stressing myself out since i seem seconds away from a full on binge lately.

God i can only imagine winter im already frozen at work and we work outdoors in the snow all weather we get soaked and cold and we cant wear properly baggy warm clothes and i dotn have a bunch of built in padding anymore i legitimately no joke may need to find a new job XD If i dont adjust myself a bit now, Ill stand zero chance in winter. LOL
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    Yes, I am facing this now. I've been doing Couch 2 5K and the dwindling daylight after work is really putting the pressure on. Also, the fruits that I tend to snack on are no longer very good (watermelon, blueberries, honeydew) and the fruits in season seem to be higher calorie (bananas, honeycrisp apples, etc).

Side note tieing my post and yours, I recently discovered apple chips -been craving apple cinnamon donuts lol- turned out more like sour/sweet apple jerky candy but omg was it good...so heart breaking it takes like 2 hours to bake and with a small oven could only make like 4 apples worth hah. Yay for apple season anyway
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Most people gain weight in winter and lose weight in summer. I find that using a turbo trainer helps me avoid the things that discourage me in winter.
  • MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I find it easier. I HATE the summer. I'm a hermit during tourist season. But autumn and winter are just the best. It's cooler which means longer walks.. less snakes which means safer hikes.. And if you are in a snowy area, skiing, sledding, and omg.. walking through knee deep snow takes a lot of stamina and endurance. This time of year ROCKS.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I expect it to slow my loss rate. I hate to exercise outside when it's cold, I also hate exercising in public/gyms, and I find too many distractions at home to exercise, so in winter I'm less active.

Combine that with a winter desire to hole up on the couch under blankets and eat warm, filling, calorie dense things and that's not great for weight loss. So this year I am tracking what I eat and finding exercises to do at home in short bursts.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem because I exercise indoors all year round. I only do walking outside. Also I have a wedding to go to in Spain in December so I need to lose 9 lbs by then. Motivation!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Yes, I find fall/ winter more challenging
    I really like to go for long walks outside but when it will be approaching like 3 degrees soon it's hard to walk 5-10 miles outdoors and I can't begin to imagine walking that much on my treadmill.. indoors..in my ugly basement.. Boring! I also agree with the post about in colder months 'comfort foods' (to me) seem a little enticing than say a cold salad? This time of year, I find it almost anxiety inducing when I comes to 'staying on track'.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we had the first snow of the year yesterday and all I wanted was a latte and some mac and cheese. I skipped the latte, but I did get the mac and cheese - 590 calories for a small but sometimes you just need hot cheese. It’s also been an adjustment getting up to run when it’s dark - I don’t mind mornings, but my body still thinks it’s time to sleep. Tonight the exercise bike is coming out of storage for sure! I suspect people just move around less when it’s cold and dark, too. I’m going to be keeping a close eye on my steps.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I made a joke about this the other day - I think I'm part bear, at this season all I want to do is eat, sleep, and get ready to hibernate. I've been trying to be stricter with my logging, and I bought some good looking winter running gear to try to motivate myself to get out there and use it. But it's just so easy to stay under the covers all day!

I put daylight spectrum lights in my bathroom a few years ago. So during my morning routine I'm also getting some light therapy, and as a bonus it's better for putting on makeup. And I plan to supplement vitamin d. Vitamin D levels also tend to be low in heavier people since their ratio of skin to mass is lower.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile, really like the idea of daylight lights in the bathroom. Thanks.

I have a no window bathroom and some days I have put my face on, thought I looked good, done a check in the hall mirror and am horrified- rush back to repair the badly applied parts.

I found a lamp and Vit D keep my energy levels even year round.

The plus of winter- I don't spend the day in the garden and then sit and drink a tad too much white wine; I'm happy with a glass of red on a winter evening after doing indoor house repairs/painting.

Cheers, h.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I love autumn and winter so I have no trouble getting out walking (love walking in the cooler weather, it is great wrapping up a bit against the chill and relaxing into a steady pace to keep warm) or getting to the gym in the dark and/or the cold. I am used to the UK dark, raining, cloudy, icy, frosty and snowy winters now. I cycle in all weathers, I do not drive. I have a mountain and road bike as well. I do tend to crave carbs in the cooler weather, but adjust my habits accordingly (this can happen in summer also), if I need to eat at maintenance a couple of days then I do so (this stops binges and the urge to binge if you plan to eat more, usually). I tend to fidget more in the colder weather, I am not one to sit still or lie in bed for hours, my sleeping patterns stay the same as in summer/spring.

This winter I am doing something different, I have planned a maintenance and hypertrophy period of 12 weeks (until the end of January). So I am planning to gain weight this winter, not lose it. It is not an excuse to overeat, it has all been planned and my training plan is all written out and ready. My calories have been planned also, as I am increasing them up to a 500 calorie surplus over the 3 months, if I am feeling comfortable with my bulk.

I adjust my training and my eating according to moods, hunger levels, injury, etc more than to the weather or season. Seasonal foods I eat change of course, but that is really the only thing that varies. I know some folks find it harder to get motivated in the cold and dark, so they would probably have the most reason or drive to adapt to the changing seasons.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we had the first snow of the year yesterday and all I wanted was a latte and some mac and cheese. I skipped the latte, but I did get the mac and cheese - 590 calories for a small but sometimes you just need hot cheese. It’s also been an adjustment getting up to run when it’s dark - I don’t mind mornings, but my body still thinks it’s time to sleep. Tonight the exercise bike is coming out of storage for sure! I suspect people just move around less when it’s cold and dark, too. I’m going to be keeping a close eye on my steps.

You've had snow already? My sympathies.
  • lichn
    lichn Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I hear you on the mac and cheese! I made mine casserole style about a month ago but added a bunch of cauliflower and broccoli to the regular recipe (still using regular pasta and everything!) so that way I could have big portions with fewer overall calories, plus all the extra vitamins and other good stuff.

Yesterday I also took myself to an aquafit class for the first time in about 8 months, and that was really nice. It's a great cardio workout with some fun strength training components, and so good for my back! Plus the hot tub afterwards is a real treat on a cool day. Fitting it into my schedule is a challenge when the pools for some reason put all the evening classes really late and the weekend classes super early in the morning. But I'm gonna try to get one in a week and then start using this 10 session kickboxing groupon I got to a place by my work.

I really get hit hard by season change, but I'm starting to get my head around the changes I'll need to make :)