Healthish Beans On Toast

Options
bigizzy
bigizzy Posts: 73 Member
I really wanted beans on toast today but didn't have any baked beans so I...

1. Toasted 2x Hovis Seeded Sensation
2. Heated Kidney Beans and coated in a little chilli sauce
3. Grated Extra Mature Cheddar Cheese on top
4. Sprinkled Pepper on top

Guys seriously try it !

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    What is mature cheese....never heard of it?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »

Extra sharp cheddar, I think.
    This recipe sounds yummy I might try it (except for the bread choice, will be doing good old regular white bread)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »

He must mean "aged cheese".
  • bigizzy
    bigizzy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It's aged cheese that is sharper/stronger than the norm. Great if you want to cut back on cheese as you eat less. Had this recipe again tonight. yummy.
  • seedrah6
    seedrah6 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Mature cheese is what it’s called in the UK bc it’s a smart cheese for its age ;) haha but the first part is true
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When you get some baked beans OP try adding some chorizo to them - fantastic combination.

To the non-Brits confused by "mature" being used to describe stronger cheese that has been allowed to age longer best to avoid Lancaster where they grade cheese by degrees of "tasty".
    Tasty Lancashire cheese might be matured for 12 months and (stronger) Extra Tasty might be matured for 18 months for example.
    If you like really strong cheese then the Lancashire Bomb is wonderful but more of a dinner party treat than an everyday cheese.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    bigizzy wrote: »
    It's aged cheese that is sharper/stronger than the norm. Great if you want to cut back on cheese as you eat less. Had this recipe again tonight. yummy.
    No, never can eat less cheese!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    When you get some baked beans OP try adding some chorizo to them - fantastic combination.

To the non-Brits confused by "mature" being used to describe stronger cheese that has been allowed to age longer best to avoid Lancaster where they grade cheese by degrees of "tasty".
    Tasty Lancashire cheese might be matured for 12 months and (stronger) Extra Tasty might be matured for 18 months for example.
    If you like really strong cheese then the Lancashire Bomb is wonderful but more of a dinner party treat than an everyday cheese.

I love strong cheddar. We have a cheddar here that so strong it has little salt crystals in it which make your lips tingle. It's amazing.