Weight loss WITHOUT exercise? Did you do it?

Options
The short backstory is that I have a lifelong condition where my body produces too much cerebrospinal fluid which leads to increased pressure around my brain. Exercise has always been an issue for me but even more so now that I gained a lot of weight from a recent stressful life event. I've been working hard to get back on track (my diary should be public) and was hoping that there are success stories out there of people losing without exercise. My neurologist thinks that if I can drop about 80lbs, my symptoms should improve enough to allow me to begin exercise again (I love to go outside and walk). I do get out and take it slow (I just can't raise my heart rate up too high otherwise my pressure goes up). For those who lost weight this way, did you stick with the recommended calories that MFP gave you or did you do a lower calorie amount? Thank you!

Replies

• coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    yes, I lost 40 lbs using the recommended calories on MFP and without adding exercise. Exercise definitely helps though, but eating less calories works whether you exercise or not. go for it! Stay with it though. I kept all the weight off for a year, but then gained it back when I stopped logging. So starting all over again...ugh.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 65+ pounds on calorie restriction alone before I decided to train for improved health and fitness. Currently I’m finding it difficult to train because of a few health niggles and I’ve lost another 10+ pounds in the last month.
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    2400 calories seems high for someone who's not exercising and trying to lose 80 pounds. What are your stats?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Anon2018 wrote: »
    2400 calories seems high for someone who's not exercising and trying to lose 80 pounds. What are your stats?
    This.

I lost about ~130 pounds without exercise. I experimented to find a calorie intake amount and macro balance that left me satiated enough to stick to that calorie level. I settled on 1350 calories and stayed there all the rest of the way through the weight loss period where I didn't exercise. I would have gained on 2400 calories at my starting weight.

You need to find a comfortable calorie level that's a deficit for you (that might be the number that MFP suggests or a number you find on your own) and then be patient and consistent over time. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Sure it's possible to lose only with calorie restriction.

I've lost over the past 6 weeks with no exercise at all beyond my usual work routine, etc. Since you have 80 lbs to lose, I'd start off with the amount of calories MFP recommends - if you drop too low you're more likely to binge and waste all your progress. Also, if you find it hard to stick to even those limits, reset your weight loss to 0.5 or 1 lb/week. It's better to lose it slow and keep it off than lose it fast and regain it later.

This assumes you are tracking your food accurately - use a digital scale to weigh everything possible in grams! Use the recipe builder to help you calculate things you cook.

I don't worry about macros much, but since I haven't added exercise or strength training I do make sure I hit the MFP protein goals so I'm less likely to lose muscle as I lose weight.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I lost my first 20ish pounds without upping my exercise levels. I wasn’t totally sedentary, as I usually got about 20 to 40 minutes of brisk walking in a day, but I did that when I was gaining weight too. Everything I’ve read indicates that exercise certainly can help weight loss, but it’s tricky to rely on it alone, and certainly it isn’t necessary. My sister is one of those super fit overweight people - as the saying goes, it’s hard to outrun your diet.

ETA: you didn’t ask, but someone mentioned above that 2400 seems high. I’ve been taking the slow and easy approach and managed to lose at around that level when I started out at 208 lbs with a goal of about 75 to lose. I’ve got a somewhat high TDEE for my height and gender and was moderately active, but not really exercising much. So long as you’re happy with your rate of loss, you’re good. I’m down to about 2k daily now and have lost 33 lbs in ten months.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yes, I'm losing on calories alone. I get exercise intermittently, and I log it but I stay in my caloric limit if I don't.

It helped me to cut out snacks. My snacks were large cookies, bread and butter, chocolate bars, chips, or ice cream...you get the idea. I made sure I had fiber and protein at breakfast (cottage cheese, nuts, fruit, celery, etc) and low cal snacks for 3 pm like berries or cucumber slices.

When I cut down on the sugary foods, I got lucky and was LESS hungry than when I ate more. Ymmv.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it on calories alone -- 30 pounds so far. I'm starting to do a little more activity -- yesterday I took a 0.48 mile walk -- that's with crutches to help my back and about as far as I could go. So, not much. I plan to continue doing minimal exercise, adding in a bit of walking and some seated tai chi. I'm a retired couch potato with a bad back so really very sedentary. It really is calorie counting that controls weight for the most part.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I could do it without exercise, but it would involve eating only animal-based proteins and vegetables, both of which I find gross. Hahaha

Have you considered trying the Whole30 program?

Why only those food groups?
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    totally possible. Lots of people have done it with no exercise at all, others throw in some walking (doesn't even have to be vigorous).
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I lost 70lbs doing no formal exercising. All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. I'm waiting til I get to goal and maybe I'll start building muscle, maybe not tho. I haven't found an exercise I like yet lol
  • neo245
    neo245 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    12kg lost over 2 months, no exercise at all.
  • KiwiGirl38
    KiwiGirl38 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm loosing weight without exercise. I've lost 7.3 kilos since the 14 of August. It's all down to food for me. Some weeks I do no exercise and some weeks I do lots of walking.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've lost 99 lbs since 1/1/2017 with just staying in a calorie deficit & practically no exercise (maybe a walk once per week but I'm now looking to add some weight lifting since I feel like I'm ready for that now).
  • Beaudom91
    Beaudom91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I lost 55 pounds while almost completely immobile
  • saraghali
    saraghali Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    JamWam12 wrote: »
    I've lost 30lb in the last 48 days without exercise.
    Waw how did you do it?