How do I get motivated

Options
Been struggling to attend my gym sessions as I dont feel motivated due to poor health. My sugar intake has increased like crazy and am snacking alot which has made me put on 2 stones. Dont know what to do.

Replies

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds overly simplified but you just have to do it. You don't need motivation, you need habit and discipline. Be disciplined enough to do what you need to do, or you won't do it
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Motivation is fickle and unreliable. You just have to do it.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Motivation only gets you through day one. Either you want it or you don't.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Agree with the posts above, it’s not motivation that’s the problem. Make a decision, then commit yourself to your health and fitness goal. Determination Commitment those are internal factors that you have and don’t need to search for. Start each day by handwriting a note of commitment to what you really want most.
  • KendraS74
    KendraS74 Posts: 84 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This is a battle with your mind. I've been there. I've sat in my car at the gym dreading Body Pump class. Once I am there doing the exercises, I feel proud that I just pushed through that wave of doubt. It's a wave. You can ride it and get through it. That feeling is temporary. Keep your eyes on the prize.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Hothenzy wrote: »
    Been struggling to attend my gym sessions as I dont feel motivated due to poor health. My sugar intake has increased like crazy and am snacking alot which has made me put on 2 stones. Dont know what to do.

Well what is poor health? Do you have a cold or some other kind of medical condition that makes it difficult? On August 20th, 2017 I was out walking with family and I passed out and well broke my face and teeth on some hard pavement. Sometime life hits you, but you have to give it time to recover. It took me until Oct.1st to get back to the gym and that was mainly due to have a concussion from my fall.

I am right there with you with sugar and snacking a night. You just need to have to make that choice for yourself to be better. For a long time I would be snacking or sometimes down right eating meals at night. I would be literally talking to myself about what I should not be doing yet still making it and eating it.

Usually it takes a while to get into a routine at the gym and to start to feel the difference. Start out slow and increase it as you feel better. Document what your eating and very important BE HONEST with yourself. Like tonight I ate a glazed donut which did not put me to over me calorie intake. Just dont eat the whole container. ;-) The one thing I like about documenting your food you can see how much your eating so that you can be more aware of it. When your just food to mouth it is easy to gain weight.

There is no magic way to lose weight. It takes dedication to change your lifestyle for YOU and no one else. I hope that you can feel better and be healthy.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Motivation is fickle and unreliable. You just have to do it.
    Motivation only gets you through day one. Either you want it or you don't.

Yep, this is how it is. Motivation will get you past that last rep of your last set. Determination, discipline and desire will get you to the gym and working out. How do you do all of the other mundane, tedious but necessary things in life? You know, like getting to work every day, getting the laundry done, feeding yourself and your family, brushing your teeth and bathing. It isn't motivation that allows you to do all those others things. It isn't motivation that will get you working out on a regular basis. When all is said and done, you will do what you want to do. If you want to workout because of it's benefits, you'll workout. If you'd rather sit on the couch and watch T.V. you'll do that. So long as there is not a legitimate medical reason for you to not work out, you'll do so as YOU WANT. btw once you start the workout, finishing is easy.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The hardest part of any workout is always getting off the sofa and out of the front door - especially now it’s getting cold.

It’s too easy to let yourself get distracted, we’ve all done it and will continue to do so, just make sure you get off the sofa more often than not.
  • erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    First... stop eating all that sugar!!! That makes you feel like crap.
    Then... just drive yourself to the gym. Even if you don’t want to go... just do it. I had to force myself to go in the beginning. I would just go to the gym 3 days a week. Even if I only worked out for 10 minutes, or just sat in the sauna... at least I went... and did something. It may not seem worthwhile, but it will get you in the habit of going. After forcing myself to go for a few weeks, I started to enjoy it and look forward to it. After a while longer, I was going for 2 hours at a time, 3-4 days a week!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    Hothenzy wrote: »

Find something you like doing.

Exercise doesn't have to take place at a gym.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    What specifically is the poor health that is slowing you down? Is it obesity? Diabetes? High blood pressure? Those three are improved with regular exercise.

If you have joint problems or a bad back, you need to find an exercise that helps you feel better not make you worse. Walking is good for the back, and water activities are good for joint problems.

I did not start getting regular with the gym until I found an activity I enjoyed. As long as I treated it like a duty/prescription/chore, it was simpler just to remain at home.

When I snack continually at home it is out of boredom. If this is the same for you then staying at home isn't making you any happier either.

Make a list of activities that give you joy. Make another list of activities you have always wanted to try but never got around to it. Start adding them to your life.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I think it really comes down to how bad you want to be in shape and healthy. If it's really important to you, you will do it. I also think it helps to have a goal...plan a trip or something that you want to feel and look good for. Once you start feeling good and losing weight, you will want to keep it up.
    Good luck.