Pickles

cnjg420
cnjg420 Posts: 405 Member
Does anyone eat them as a snack since they are low in calories or do you think there is too much sodium

Replies

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    I buy the huge containers of them from Sam's club. I do not really care about sodium personally.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    I wrap up the little ones (gherkins) in low-fat cream cheese and deli meat and eat as snacks. My sodium is usually within limits unless I use soy sauce for a meal, so I don't worry. Not any worse than salted popcorn I wouldn't think.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    No need to worry about sodium unless you have high blood pressure issues. Sodium is important in the body and if you're getting more than you think you need, just make sure to drink more water to help offset it.
    And we love pickles at our house.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    No need to worry about sodium unless you have high blood pressure issues. Sodium is important in the body and if you're getting more than you think you need, just make sure to drink more water to help offset it.
    And we love pickles at our house.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    There are other issues than high blood pressure that require low sodium.

But if you don’t have any of them I wouldn’t worry.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited October 2017
    I had a few good olives plus 7-8 Maille cornichons with cayenne peppers for a little snack this afternoon. My blood pressure isn't sodium sensitive so I don't worry about it. Never had cornichons before a few months ago, now I can't get enough of them. They're also great with a hunk of cheese or a sandwich. (fyi - cornichons are tiny gherkins and super crunchy)
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Pepperoncini, pickeled okra, and regular pickles (dill spears) are nice fillers for me, but don't eat them as a "straight snack" usually. Typically have with a sandwich, add ins on a salad, etc.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    If you home can them, you can control the sodium and if your like sweet and home can them, you can also control that sugar. We eat a lot of them and I can about 40 jars annually for both types, keep 20 for my family. Several friends with various health issues and they will only those I can. If you would like help or tips on how to do that, please email me, happy to help.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    My husband and I snack on dill pickle spears all the time! I love them as a quick snack, especially before bed when I have a late night hunger pang.
    I don't worry about sodium other than I am a daily weigher and have to remember to expect an increase on the scale from water weight
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    I don't eat them as a snack - nothing to do with sodium, I just don't like them much.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Recent studies have found that the current recommendations on sodium are not only unnecessarily low, but that low sodium diets are associated with a higher risk of death.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    I love pickles as a snack! My fave is the nalley brand hamburger chips... yummm
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Better yet, cold pickle brine as a chaser for whiskey. I don't worry about the sodium. Weight loss and exercise took care of my elevated blood pressure; I didn't need to go low sodium.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I love pickled onions and can go through a whole jar of them in a week easy.

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I eat them all the time. I am not worried about high sodium. Just the opposite. I am worried about getting enough sodium for how active I am.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Pickles, olives, onions, relish - all great!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I eat 4 sandwich slices a day and get over 8k sodium a day and have not had any issues.