Thinking of going vegan

Options
Hi I am thinking of going vegan for specific health reasons and I would really appreciate any advice thanks

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Tim_Veal wrote: »
    This article has some of the foundational research used in these books: http://proteinaholic.com/another-ignorant-attack-on-what-the-health-this-time-from-the-doctors-tv-show/

There are millions of healthy people around the world who eat a plant-based diet. In fact most cultures who eat this way avoid the heart disease, diabetes and cancer that plagues our western diet. Runaroundafield is correct in that you need B12 in your diet (check out nutritional yeast and other sources).

I'd say that a plant based diet is a better approach than the average north american diet by a long shot.

Which cultures are vegan?
  • flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What specific health reasons? Why do you think going vegan is your best diet approach?
    What specific health reasons? Why do you think going vegan is your best diet approach?

Hi I have secondary lymphodema in my right leg following cancer & when I was reading around the subject, vegan diet cane up as being helpful in maintenance of the lymphodema. I have been cancer free for nearly 5 years & do strength training which is awesome for my leg
    Thanks
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi I am thinking of going vegan for specific health reasons and I would really appreciate any advice thanks

If you are wanting to go vegan I would keep an eye on your protein, I love marinated tofu, chickpeas, rice and lentils.

For B12 drink fortified plant based milks, almond is lovely but I like soya as well.

Eat all the colours of the rainbow fruit and veg wise.

I like the coconut oil based cheeses.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

Hi I have secondary lymphodema in my right leg following cancer & when I was reading around the subject, vegan diet cane up as being helpful in maintenance of the lymphodema. I have been cancer free for nearly 5 years & do strength training which is awesome for my leg
    Thanks

Congratulations on being five years free :)

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Thanks

So glad to hear you've been cancer free for 5 years (we have BC in my family, unfortunately I lost my mum to it a few years ago - it was partly the reason I became interested in being more healthy).

Whilst Im positive you've looked in to this specific issue a lot more than me, a quick Google doesn't being up a lot of links between vegan and maintenance of lymphoedema. Most things ive read do promote a more wholefoods based approach, with lots of fresh produce, but not necessarily as restricted as a plant based diet. Vegetarian or pescatarian may be a more balanced approach for you?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    This article has some of the foundational research used in these books: http://proteinaholic.com/another-ignorant-attack-on-what-the-health-this-time-from-the-doctors-tv-show/

There are millions of healthy people around the world who eat a plant-based diet. In fact most cultures who eat this way avoid the heart disease, diabetes and cancer that plagues our western diet. Runaroundafield is correct in that you need B12 in your diet (check out nutritional yeast and other sources).

I'd say that a plant based diet is a better approach than the average north american diet by a long shot.

Which cultures are vegan?

I don't think there are any mentionable cultures which are vegan. I'm talking about a plant-based diet, and I'd guess that the higher the ratio of calories consumed from plants versus animal products, the lower the disease rate. Meat and dairy aren't bad, they just make up too much of our diet!

I'm an amateur, not an expert nutritionist. I read and talk to people, and this is where I'm at. Perhaps I'm wrong and what I'm reading is misleading me, but I don't see a lot of people thriving on the western diet. I will focus on getting the majority of my calories from plants.

We stay healthy by getting the macros and micros our bodies need. Which foods you choose to do that with is personal preference. You can achieve it on most WOE, just takes some planning.

Most people eat vegan as a way of life, they also try to damage the planet as much as possible.

• TenderBlender667
    TenderBlender667 Posts: 78 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    As a former vegan, I didn't find it very difficult to find alternatives to protein rich foods, but I also became iron deficient despite taking an iron supplement. The problem with plant based (non-heme) iron, is that it's not as readily absorbed by the body as animal based (heme) iron. Another issue that may come up is DHA and EPA fatty acid deficiency because most people have a difficult time converting plant based omega 3's (ALA) to their active form (DHA and EPA). Your best bet is to take an algae based omega 3 fatty acid and double your iron intake from plant based sources. Try to include lots of variety as well. I found myself eating beans, hummus and quinoa almost everyday and I got so sick of it, I've grown to dislike those foods. Try to avoid processed vegan foods too; just because it's vegan, doesn't mean it's healthy. I made this mistake at the beginning and ate too many oreos, french fries and other junk and my health definitely showed it. I eat vegan most days, but I do like to have a few eggs or some bison once or twice a week.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options

Thanks

glad you are now cancer free
  • flowerhouse
    Options
    Thank you
  • flowerhouse
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Lots of great advice here, thanks to everyone & for the kind words
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    As a former vegan, I didn't find it very difficult to find alternatives to protein rich foods, but I also became iron deficient despite taking an iron supplement. The problem with plant based (non-heme) iron, is that it's not as readily absorbed by the body as animal based (heme) iron. Another issue that may come up is DHA and EPA fatty acid deficiency because most people have a difficult time converting plant based omega 3's (ALA) to their active form (DHA and EPA). Your best bet is to take an algae based omega 3 fatty acid and double your iron intake from plant based sources. Try to include lots of variety as well. I found myself eating beans, hummus and quinoa almost everyday and I got so sick of it, I've grown to dislike those foods. Try to avoid processed vegan foods too; just because it's vegan, doesn't mean it's healthy. I made this mistake at the beginning and ate too many oreos, french fries and other junk and my health definitely showed it. I eat vegan most days, but I do like to have a few eggs or some bison once or twice a week.

That’s interesting. My iron and calcium was low, but improved after following a plant based diet for a year. I think it might be because I ate a ton of greens, especially cooked. All sorts. I also drank plant based milk, which is fortified, so that could be it. My chloresteral was borderline bad, and was great after a year.

The only issue I had was that after a few years, my b vitamins dropped. A very unexpected side effect was that my skin time improved. I’d had problems with inflation before.

I also never went completely plant based. I’d eat whatever if I went out (but I’d usually get fish), or at a friend’s house. I need to get back to it. I’ve been slipping since I moved in w a boyfriend who is a picky eater.