Winter running tights (mens)?

Options
Cold weather is starting to creep up so I thought it time to start investigating this purchase as this will be my first winter since I got in the game. Anyone have any solid recommendations?

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific brand recommendation for men, but I have big thighs and fit is an issue for me when running... they always want to ride down. I don't normally like a drawstring for leggings or tights but need them for running tights.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I was in Winners (not sure if they are just in Canada) and saw a pair for $25, so I broke down and bought them. Done a few early runs and am really glad to have them. They are Alive Magnetics if that matters.

It's my first winter running not on a treadmill.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I haven't need winter tights in a while (I live in Phoenix), but when I was a Midwesterner I preferred 2XU and Skins. I've also heard good things about CWX but have no personal experience with them. Look for sales though, running gear is pricey.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The 2XU Heat tights should handle NYC winter temps. Both Nike & Under Armour have similar product offerings.

It gets a little colder here (down to -40 occasionally) and I'll add a merino wool base layer for really cold days.

If you're less cold tolerant you might want to consider something like the North Face's Winter Warm tights (they're $85 at REI)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Regular mid weight Asics tights work great for me in Boston. They run long, so unless you've got very long legs, you don't need the tall size. I'm 72" and the regular length still bunch up
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've got some from Old Navy, they work well enough down to around 20 degrees with shorts.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I found some good ones at Kohl's or Tj Maxx, good prices. I believe they are layer 8 brand. Very warm and comfy
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Champion and RDX brand fit me best.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I wear plain old sweat pants anything down to 0f and these have been just fine.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Light weight - EMS techwick
    Mid weight - CW-X
    Heavy weight - Craft

But as we discussed in your other thread... you'll have to go through some trial and error to see how much warmth/insulation you prefer at different temps and in different conditions.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few brands looking for value, but my wife and I haven't found anything we like better or fits better than Under Armour for heat or cold gear, their cold gear "storm" or "infrared" lines are typically their heavier stuff, really like their gloves, hats, and socks too.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It's hard to recommend specific models without knowing the winter temps you run in and what your cold tolerance is.

I have two pair, light weight New Balance and mid-weight SmartWool PhD. The New Balance is good quality. The Smartwool is excellent quality.

All temps are with wind chill:
    I wear shorts down to 32F or so
    I wear the lighter weight New Balance from 10F to 32F
    I wear the SmartWool below 10F
    Below -15F I put on a pair of running pants over the SmartWool
    On windy days, below 10F, I'll also wear a pair of wind briefs underneath.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to go full tights, I've found Nike Dry FIT OTC65 running pants pretty good. They're much slimmer and less obtrusive than traditional running pants but they're not quite as form fitting as tights. They function very similar to tights but don't sacrifice your modesty!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Whatever brand you go with, make sure they fit. I've tried a couple that seem to be cut short in the rear and don't accommodate my butt when running which can become very uncomfortable.